Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

E-Bikes thoughts, comments?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey all, I was amazed at the number of E-Bikes at Interbike this year. It seemed like at least 75% of the bike MFG's were showing an e-bike - and not just commuter bikes. They had Mtn Bikes, Fat Bikes, traditional road bikes.
    Do you see many in your world? I haven't noticed that many in Boise but I could be living under a rock. The fact that so many companies were pushing them
    makes me wonder if the sales are strong.

They just seem so bizarre to me. I have heard that some people are campaigning to keep them off of trails and back country areas. I can't fathom the
    purpose of an electric motor on a fat bike. I would hate to be 40 miles from nowhere and suddenly hear the buzz/whine of an electric bike.

The Bike Hermit calls them the "exercise free" bike

I should note I do see some positive

1. when I am older (perhaps in my 80's and 90's) I would appreciate the boost
    2. perhaps they do take a few cars off the road as people who don't want to sweat may opt for an ebike to commute

Don't even get me started on electric "push" scooters. I just about got taken out twice at the show by a young women zipping around - INDOORS on
    a stupid electric scooter
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Can't speak to having them on mountain bikes, but as a middle-aged, out-of-shape woman, I would love some pedal assistance on my bike for hills or even just getting through red lights faster. Nothing beats time in the saddle, as they say, but it's very humbling and discouraging when one is barely able to ride a few miles and one spends their time walking a bike up what most would consider not steep inclines. It doesn't have to be all or nothing, a little boost in those rough patches would allow an older or just getting back to it cyclist to enjoy riding. And don't forget those who have/had injuries.

I think there should be limits, the battery technology is getting better and motor is getting better. LiFePO4 battery stores incredible amount of power. You can actually compare it to energy released from gasoline. Simply, the power of electric motor with battery is getting closer to gas powered engine. Because of this, I think they should be banned from MUT trails, single track and mountain bike trail where gas powered motorcycles are not allowed.

I really like the idea of e-bike for commuter and maybe we can get more people to take alternative means of transportation instead of cars. Natural resources used in commuting with e-bike is like getting well over 1000? miles per gallon. I've even considered it for commuting when I lived in the city.

We just need to get people to open their myopic view of what transportation is all about. Styling of ELF is well... I'm not fond of it. But I really like the idea of what it is. I would like to see more of them instead of a regular car.

I think in some European standard, I have to dig in and search (quite a bit), it requires that you have to be pedalling for the motor to kick in. And the amount of power the electric motor has to be dependent on how much power you yourself put out. No pedalling, no power kind of thing.

I’ve seen a few e-bikes here in the Napa valley the last few days. There is even at least one resort here that has them available for guests. I also see them on the beach bike path and as commuters at home and I see a lot of e-scooters in the beach areas of west L.A. too. I have no problems with either e-bikes or e-scooters. I see it as a positive trend for commuting as anything that lowers the environmental impact of conventional automobiles is desirable. The smaller battery packs of e-bikes, scooters etc give them the ability to be charged via solar power too.

Over the last couple of years there has been a HUGE sales increase of e-bikes in China in particular and Asia in general. That may be one of the reasons for increased manufacturer awareness here.
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 09-17-2014 at 08:33 AM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

I have mixed feelings. An e-bike might be a good alternative when I am much older.

They are banned where I live (NYC) primarily because some food delivery workers on e-bikes are a real menace. There are lots of takeout deliveries where I live, and they scare me several times a week with reckless riding. The ban hasn't stopped people buying and using e-bikes.

I can see why they are viewed as hazardous in a crowded urban area, and perhaps on MUTS. In general, I think they are a good option for some people.
    Last edited by PamNY; 09-17-2014 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaC View Post
    I’ve seen a few e-bikes here in the Napa valley the last few days. There is even at least one resort here that has them available for guests. I also see them on the beach bike path and as commuters at home and I see a lot of e-scooters in the beach areas of west L.A. too. I have no problems with either e-bikes or e-scooters. I see it as a positive trend for commuting as anything that lowers the environmental impact of conventional automobiles is desirable. The smaller battery packs of e-bikes, scooters etc give them the ability to be charged via solar power too.

Over the last couple of years there has been a HUGE sales increase of e-bikes in China in particular and Asia in general. That may be one of the reasons for increased manufacturer awareness here.
    Yep, I agree with rebeccaC--I have no problem with them either. If that's what it takes to get some folks riding, fine with me. I don't think e-bike riders are any more likely to be a problem on MUTs than any other riders, skaters, or even walkers, if they behave predictably and follow the general rules of use.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

I have very mixed feelings, too. I am old enough (just about 61) to say, "if I can ride, so can you," but, maybe when I'm 85 or 90? I'd rather just get a nice upright bike and do less hills...
    I have seen exactly one while I've been riding. It's pretty much a cycling mecca around where I live, so I doubt I'll be seeing many.
    DH saw a guy on one, last year when he was riding to work. He couldn't figure out why some guy in jeans was dropping him, so when he caught him, he found out. The guy appeared to be neither out of shape, overweight, or super old.
    A few years ago, I was doing the bike valet duty at a farmer's market and some company was demo-ing e-bikes. They looked huge and heavy. Meh, if someone wants one, it's fine with me, but I will not be getting one. I ride with too many people in their 70's to think it's just for older people!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I'm a proponent of e-bikes. I do think they can get, and keep, more folks riding. Sure, I've seen plenty of folks in their 70's riding too, but not everyone gets to that age in good health. My dad (who live in the Netherlands) has had a lot of health problems, but his e-bike allows him to keep doing the longer rides and go on cycling vacations. E-bikes are immensely popular there (as are regular bikes, of course). I think it's one of multiple factors that keeps people there riding for so long, and it's fabulous.

With the hills around here, e-bikes would be nice for commuting too (not applicable to me now as I work from home). If it keeps more cars off the road, great! Especially during the most polluted months around here (esp. January and July).

Right now the price points aren't quite there yet to really grow this segment, but the increasing competition might get them there.

So glad I put this out there. I enjoy hearing everyone's thoughts and opinions. Think I will go do some digging around the internet and see what the prevailing winds say. Yes, I see the value in commuting but am personally hoping they don't start showing up on trails.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

It's like saying some people drive recklessly so cars should be banned. You have to be held accountable for following rules and laws. And if you do that, you should not be punished because others may not. IMO.

I don't think that anyone is proposing banning E-bikes entirely… the larger question is whether or not they should be considered to be bicycles, motor scooters or motorcycles - which would make the rules governing them different. To determine that I would think you'd have to look at several factors - one of the bigger ones being the speed that the cycle can obtain. Here there are differences governing the different vehicles in this state, but it is getting *confusing* with all of the different choices (motor scooter, moped, electric personal mobility device…, motorized foot scooter ,e-bike)

bicycles: do not need a drivers license, can use roads, can use MUPs, can use bicycle lanes, can use sidewalks if not specifically prohibited

e-bike: do not need a driver's license, can use roads, can use MUPs *if* not specifically prohibited, can use bicycle lanes, are NOT allowed on sidewalks

motor scooter/moped - do need a driver's license and registration, do not need a motorcycle endorsement, can NOT use MUPs or bicycle lanes, must be limited to less than 30mph

I'd guess there are lots of different e-bikes out there - some are probably closer to regular bikes, some probably closer to mopeds.

A few years ago my husband used to share part of his commute with a co-worker on an e-bike (who being an engineer did a lot of fiddling and customizing). His e-bike still wasn't a match for the real bike. My hubby would draft him on the flats (well… goad the e-bike rider to try to drop him, thereby using up much of his electrical store ) and then bust him up the hills where the bike, being big and heavy, even if partially powered, couldn't match the real bike. OTOH I was climbing a rather steep hill the other day when a rather large fellow went zipping by me not even breathing hard… yup e-bike. Personally I have no use for them. I'm one of those people who feels like it's not worth the time if there's not some sweat and suffering that goes into it… for me it's exercise and it shouldn't be easy.
    Last edited by Eden; 09-18-2014 at 07:42 AM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Horsepower limits determine which gas-powered motorcycles can go on what roads, and what the licensing requirements are. Should be the same regardless of the power source IMO.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 09-18-2014 at 08:29 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    for me it's exercise and it shouldn't be easy.
    I think that is a very basic and prevalent difference in mindset about the role of bicycles in most of the U.S. vs other countries like the European ones. When I grew up, bicycles were simply transportation, not exercise. And that transportation view has played into the development of bicycle-friendly infrastructure. As long as bicycles are only viewed as a tool for exercise, there will be less support for improving cycling infrastructure.

[I know I'm going off on a bit of a tangent here.]

I agree, but I also think that that's a lot of what's at work here. Instead of making the transportation infrastructure accessible for general use for all types of vehicles and pedestrians, instead people increasingly (think they) want more and more specialized facilities, which is never going to happen. Just maybe, e-bikes will be an added impetus for taking the surface streets back for all vehicles. (And monkeys could fly out of my butt, too ... )

To my recollection there was similar controversy when mopeds first came on the scene. They were unregulated too, and kids would ride them as though they had the power of full sized motorcycles and the maneuverability of bicycles, instead of actually having neither. Eventually they became regulated based on horsepower or displacement or both. Substitute horsepower for any remaining displacement limitations (which they're going to want to do anyway, considering the rate at which electric vehicles that are unquestionably "motorcycles," and marketed as such, are also coming online) and I'm not sure what more regulation is really needed.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler