Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Internal hub or derailleur for beach bike?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Looking at something like an Electra Townie to run to the beach, and was wondering if the internal hub 3-speed would be a better choice than a derailleur? My best guess is the internal hub, but I'm not a bike mechanic and don't know how well sealed the internal hub is... or is it just a way to pack sand in with no good way to clean it?

Thoughts?

Electra Townie 7D

Decided on the 7d with a derailleur. Talked to a bike mechanic buddy and we agreed that having the parts out where I could keep them clean and lubed was a better choice.

I'll wait til we're down at the condo over xmas and buy from the new LBS.

Electra Townie 7D

Areas of beach bike path here will be covered in sand after strong winds or a storm and stay that way for a few days. I’ve never had a sand problem with the nexus hub on my commuter and I ride the beach path a lot on it. i do quickly clean the chain on both the commuter and my fixie when i get home after riding in sand…..I spend more time cleaning my seven’s drive train after riding on the occasional sandy areas on the path.

For no problems and very little maintenance with riding in a sandy area I’d definitely go with a coaster brake nexus hub and a gates carbon belt drive system.

that townie has a great cruiser look!!!!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Haven't had a cruiser style bike since before they were called that. Looking forward to it for my daily beach runner.

Electra Townie 7D

I'm going for the very difficult choice of color now! Usually I'm going for better components, lighter weight, not so much how pretty can I make it? . I'm thinking coral!!

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I wondered if there was a reason you wanted a Townie? Flat-foot technology, etc., make it suitable for a beginner, and you are far from that. Is it just a comfy ride?

Just curious.
    Just something easy on the knee and fun to pedal to the beach. The flat foot tech does one very knee-comfy thing... it moves the cranks far forward so it's similar in a lot of ways to riding a 'bent.

Electra Townie 7D

I like the coral……they have some interesting accessories.... bubble valve caps and one of wicker baskets ftw!!!! show those floridians how it's done
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

It's so funny, my honey and I are used to serious bikes, with these we're pouring over accessory catalogs are trying to pick out baskets and bells and other toys... it's like being a kid again (with a bigger allowance).

Electra Townie 7D

I'm sorry I missed this thread before. I would have advised a one-speed for a cruiser bike; just keeps things much simpler, especially with salt air, sand, etc, but obviously only works if the roads are flat. Not all beaches are. I loved my single-speed beach cruiser in Belize and would have had no need for gears, which just add weight and complexity. If I had needed gears for hills, I would probably have gone with a hub just because of the sand. But we were riding on the beach, and that makes for a real mess. Not to mention riding through deep puddles on the road during rainy season. The fewer parts to get glommed up, the better!

I want to see photos!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Hey Emily! Here's a pic from the beach a few blocks from our place: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imag.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	17431

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Hey Emily! Here's a pic from the beach a few blocks from our place: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imag.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	17431
    Purty! Where? You're moving to Florida? Sorry, totally out of the loop, but that's cool!

I was actually talking about bike photos, but I never mind a nice beach photo.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow