Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hip pain?

Hybrid View

Hip pain?

Anyone have hip pain only on one side, and then only when you've been sleeping on that side and you roll over in the night? No pain at all any other time, and I do have tight hips which I am working on. While I do have arthritis in that hip, am wondering if it might be an SI joint problem or bursitis. As a woman, my hips have to do something odd to properly execute a KB single arm jerk, am hoping this is all it is.

I've a very high deductible plan so am avoiding the Dr right now since I know they will likely want an expensive scan...just curious if anyone has experienced this.

Is it a dull ache or a sharp pain?

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I wouldn't call it sharp or shooting but a very strong ache that ends as soon as I've finished rolling over. Thankfully not every night as it comes and goes. No problem getting out of bed or when I get up in the morning
    Last edited by Catrin; 09-15-2014 at 01:02 PM.

How long has it been going on? Has it started or gotten worse since you've been gearing up for competition? Do you feel like it's the muscles or the joint?
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

It's been going on for months, long before I started gearing up for competition. It doesn't happen as often as it once did, but the intensity is the same when it happens. It might even be a few weeks between events, it might happen every night for a week, but it doesn't stick around. It doesn't feel muscular, it is very centered on the outside of my hip - it is a point location (if that makes sense). Doesn't mean it isn't referred from somewhere else. It is the strangest thing, it only hurts in the action of rolling over when I've been lying on that side - so much that I make noise. Of course, it is the side I prefer to sleep on - so of course I roll over on that side after I fall asleep.

I've looked this up online, and can't find anything that really sounds similar. Bursitis sounds the most similar, but there are other symptoms of that which I don't have. Given the intermittent nature of it I am not really concerned that it is something serious, and if it IS bursitis then I am unsure what could actually be done for it. I already take a strong systemic anti-inflammatory for arthritis. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this and found a solution.

When I'm trying to self diagnose I start with an anatomy chart. I take it you've localized the pain to deep in the joint capsule? I only have a tiny bit of experience with (self-diagnosed) bursitis and that was a constant dull ache in my shoulder. Best thing I could do for it was unweighted range of motion, and plenty of it. I guess that's the first thing I'd try - might help even if it's something muscle or tendon related - just waggle and swing your leg around in the hip socket several times a day, whenever you get the privacy to do it, and probably best to do both legs to avoid imbalances.

I think our spammer may have a bit of a point though, if that's the only time it happens. Changing sleep position is hard but sometimes necessary. Can you sleep on your back or change up the side you sleep on? Arrange yourself with pillows to align your pelvis and lumbar spine when you're on the affected side (and also to make it harder to roll)?

What does your coach suggest?

I wouldn't discount the possibility that it's related to your shoulder and neck, which you said are improving. It's pretty certain that you've been compensating for those in the hips, since all that fascia is connected, so it might just take some time for everything to equalize. Range of motion will help that too, as well as just being conscious of your hip and lumbar alignment all the time.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 09-15-2014 at 04:24 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I really appreciate the help in thinking this through, it is very helpful!

Oakleaf, those are good points. I have been looking at those charts, and it seems to be clearly located inside my hip joint socket. My coach seems to think that it is possible that something is moving slightly when I go to roll over in the night that shouldn't be. We KNOW that my hips are tight (especially on the opposite side), and while my neck/shoulders are improving I do still have some restriction related to that which impacts my hips and spine on the opposite side of my body from the hip pain. Now I DO get some very light arthritis related pain in my OTHER hip if I sit around too much, but that is very different (and much milder).

I've TRIED to retrain myself to not sleep on that side, but to no avail so far. Oh I can go to sleep on the other side...but I roll over in my sleep. I just can't go to sleep on my back, but I've not yet given up on that. I need to try a smaller pillow between my legs, my current pillow is large enough that my cranky knee complains when I try to use it that way. Perhaps a body pillow might be a good investment for this purpose.

Thankfully I've noticed no correlation between this happening and the days when we have our most intense competition training sessions. If this were related, then it would certainly be happening during the night after having done 200 jerks or long cycles (clean and jerk) just a few hours before because of the weird hip action women are required to do in order to complete the movement. Men have it easier since they don't have b*obs in the way and can bring the kettlebells straight down to land on their chest and then drive the bells straight back up without worrying about harming tissue. Of course, if I wasn't an F cup then that would help, but that is a different matter
    Last edited by Catrin; 09-15-2014 at 01:07 PM.

I had some very serious hip pain for many years that seemed un fixable through two rounds of PT. Very deep, sleep interference.... I finally found a massage therapist who does the deepest work I've ever had, and six month worth of regular sessions really helped. Tim did a lot of work on the interior connections relating to the psoas and pelvic attachments . Regular deep massage kept it a bay and provided the most relief. When I got rid of the clips on my mtb and went to flats,that solved it for once and for all. Regarding the massage, I actually had to sign a waiver that I understood that it was not a fluffy massage but deep work that might be painful.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Thanks Irulan and Snap, it really helps to read of other experiences. Still trying to relearn my sleeping position, thankfully no flares the last couple nights so I've been sleeping well.

I might agree with Snap on this, if I'm understanding you correctly. I do lots of stretching as well, and certainly some days are better than others. I'll include a website that I'm been visiting, some agree with him.. some do not. At any rate, it generates thought and that's always a good thing. (mobilitywod.com) I've used a tennis ball/lacrosse ball for many years, and definitely helps.

I've used every rolling technique I can find and so far nothing seems to make a difference. Then again, the intermittent nature of the problem makes that a hard call to make.

Last night at my KB training group our coach hit our glutes HARD. I've also been focusing on hip ROM at various times of the day. Last night I had a repeat of the problem but the severity was greatly reduced! That has never happened, the severety has always been the same. Unsure if a coincidence or not, but will continue and see what happens.

I have found a softball is the best shape for getting into the whole glute/head of the femur structure. It's much better than any roller I've tried. Plus I spend time every night on a hip opener stretching routine. Have you considered backing off on some of your activity until you get this figured out a bit?
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Suggestions for website that shows good hip openers? My left IT band, knee, leg... issue is related to my hip/glutes. I have about 5 different stretches, exercises I do but am alway open to different ones.
    Catrin, I feel for you, mine actually presents in my knee, not my hip but will wake me up sometimes when I attempt to roll over.

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    I have found a softball is the best shape for getting into the whole glute/head of the femur structure. It's much better than any roller I've tried. Plus I spend time every night on a hip opener stretching routine. Have you considered backing off on some of your activity until you get this figured out a bit?
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    Suggestions for website that shows good hip openers? My left IT band, knee, leg... issue is related to my hip/glutes. I have about 5 different stretches, exercises I do but am alway open to different ones.
    Catrin, I feel for you, mine actually presents in my knee, not my hip but will wake me up sometimes when I attempt to roll over.
    you can find stretching and using a foam roller on the IT band helps

yep, I foam roll every day and lots of "fun" stretching My injuries of youth are just catching up to me
    Quote Originally Posted by emy99 View Post
    you can find stretching and using a foam roller on the IT band helps
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com