Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hip pain?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I actually have problems with that knee as well and have long thought it connected. Of course both places have a bit of arthritis. MWOD.com does have useful information and links to videos. Also search YouTube for mobilitywod, mwod, or Kelly Starrett. A lot of his recent videos require paid access to his site, but there are still quite a few free older videos.

Yeah, that's one of the areas that my 6" foam ball is really good for. Trouble with a softball is it has seams ... ow. That foam ball is the best self-care tool I own because it's so versatile and portable. Big enough to hit nearly any area that I'd normally use a roller on, small enough to fit in a suitcase, just the right size for intermediate-sized muscle attachment areas like the anterior shoulder and the hamstrings.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Softball is definitely another option! If that doesn't work, try taping 2 lacrosse balls together. One of the things that I have been doing that has really helped( in addition to the lacrosse ball) is reverse lunges, which strengthens the glutes... something that the repetitive motion of cycling hasn't helped. And the other movement is something that I call an X-out, basically you takes a resistance band put it under your feet, cross the band so it is hitting the opposite hand and pull up to your waist and hold... take lateral steps holding the resistance band and obviously make sure to go in both directions.

I hope with everything that you are doing and with all of the suggestions, that things start to give you some relief.

While I am thankful for this, it is also irritating that it isn't more consistent. If it were then I would take a different approach. Thanks everyone@

Apparently discussing it here in this thread has driven the problem away, not a peep out of it since I brought it up :-) My coach (40+ years of experience, also a LMT) wonders if I might have something hidden going on and he is starting to do some things that is designed to helps us determine if I really do have a problem with my lumbar spine or hip that should be looked at further. He is very conservative and strongly believes that the most important facet of his job is "to do no harm", so I trust his guidance. I am very thankful to be working with someone with his level of experience who specializes with working with the "aging athlete" population. Even with his experience he doesn't assume that he knows everything and is always working to expand his knowledge.

For sure my job doesn't help things as I spend most of my time seated in the office, and THEN, after being tied to two computers all day, I go see him and expect my body to actually do some work and be all flexible and stuff. He has given me some things to do with my hips during the day to help with that. It is quite possible that this is the heart of the problem, at least that is my hope! I am also doing more work in the evening with my toys to help loosen the tight hip flexors.

I'm pretty much in the same place as you, Catrin. The session with the LMT helped, but for a day or two afterward, my *left* side started spasming. While it has bothered me occasionally, it's the right side I have the issue with. Now my left shoulder is giving me fits, but this has been an issue since I started cycling, and even before.
    But, using the lacrosse ball on my spine, hips, and shoulder is keeping it at bay. I am living in fear that I have a real disc issue, but, I also sit all day, and all of this really started when I changed careers. I do get up and walk around every 45 minutes or so, but basically, she told me that my scoliosis has caused my body to compensate, in a not good way! She was the first person that acknowledged the curvature as the reason, which I have always thought.
    I will be taking my 2 lacrosse balls in the ski sock with me to Portugal, and hopefully, I won't suffer too much. I'd be interested in hearing how you progress.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

There is a standing movement I do for hip flexibility that I have found beneficial. I will see if I can find a video of it. Think of going under a hurdle laterally with a sideways step, flexing down at the hips like a squat. If I can't find a good vid, I will make one of all my hip stretches.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

This sounds similar to one our coach has us do as part of our warmup, it is for the SI joint, but there isn't a step involved. I would be interested in seeing it if you find a vid of it, I think I need to start doing something in my office at least every 30 minutes to help counteract all of the sitting, it isn't helping me.

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    There is a standing movement I do for hip flexibility that I have found beneficial. I will see if I can find a video of it. Think of going under a hurdle laterally with a sideways step, flexing down at the hips like a squat. If I can't find a good vid, I will make one of all my hip stretches.

Whatever it was, glad it's gone and hope it doesn't come back!

I wish I knew why I can't squat without falling over backwards ... I'm pretty skeptical of local PTs after my last experience, but maybe worth another try ... I know I have ROM issues in my feet, ankles AND low back, all of which are implicated, but how to address it I have no clue.

Oh, it will be back, it's always been an "on again off again" kind of thing. Hoping I can figure out what it is so that I can have some hope of a positive change when it returns.

I also have problems squatting with a vertical torso - I CAN squat deeply, but I am bent over. We know that my ankle ROM, and probably hip flexor issues, impact this. My coach is having me work with wall squats, and also a couple of kettlebell drills, as a way to effect a change. When I've time later I will find a video or explain what that is - there are several quite different things called "wall squats".

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Whatever it was, glad it's gone and hope it doesn't come back!

I wish I knew why I can't squat without falling over backwards ... I'm pretty skeptical of local PTs after my last experience, but maybe worth another try ... I know I have ROM issues in my feet, ankles AND low back, all of which are implicated, but how to address it I have no clue.

Well, I hope that you current trend stays! Like a couple of you, my fitness job has me sitting part of the day as well... can you say OUCH? Like many of you, I'm working on flexibility quite often while I'm there and that seems to help. Have to admit the X-outs and reverse lunges are helping me, obviously my glutes were part of the issue along with tight hip flexors. Have a good and pain free week everyone!

It doesn't help that I've a cranky knee, reverse lunges are dodgy these days because of that. I've that kneecap problem that comes with arthritic changes to the cartlidge underneath the knee. I AM ignoring this one, but it means I can't run more than a few minutes without knee-cap pain anymore so that door is closed for now Thankfully kettlebell lifting is as much a cardiovascular endurance activity as it is endurance and strength so I just keep on keeping on while avoiding those things that cause my knee to hurt - and am very careful to focus on lifting properly and allowing my body to get the rest it needs. I don't need a KB-related over-use injury if I've anything to say about it. Eventually I will allow them to look at that knee more closely, but I don't think there is much that can be done about it. I don't THINK it is a ligament or tendon problem. I CAN still row, though sometimes that also gets my knee fired up. I had an ill-advised unofficial 5-K trail run in June - it was fun but it keeps on giving.

Pretty amazing what I CAN do, given my less than perfect bits and pieces, and I am very thankful for that :-) I may never compete at a high level, but I am doing it more for the fun of it and the social interaction than anything else. May all of our cranky bits and pieces work well this week and pain stay away for all of us! I wish that I had an option to try a standing desk at work, but they won't spring for that and I am not about to - unsure that would work with my job anyway. Have a good week all!

Just a thought since you mentioned a standing desk, have you ever tried a kneeling chair? Loved mine, honestly I should probably dig it back out of storage.

No, I think I've looked into it but it was a budget breaker at the time. Hadn't reconsidered it, but it is worth researching it again, I can always save up for it if it looks like a good idea. I do have to swing back and forth between computers, I wonder if can you easily do that with those?
    Last edited by Catrin; 09-21-2014 at 03:21 PM.

As long as I had a good hard chair pad so the casters won't catch in the carpet, it wasn't a problem for me to turn 60-ish degrees from facing my computer to facing my client. But with a cranky low back/hip, it might be more problematic. At very least you'd need to be conscientious about alternating which foot you use to push off. It is worth spending a bit of extra money just so you don't get a rickety one that you're constantly having to tighten the bolts, and it's been a while since I looked at them, so no idea what they might cost these days.