Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trading in a base Dolce for a base Ruby

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi,

I was thinking about upgrading my bike next year, but when I saw that my bike shop was having sales now I decided to check them out yesterday.

I have been riding the base model Dolce Compact for almost 2 years now. Since it was raining and he was nice he let me take a base 2013 Ruby Compact for today. I have an 85-mile ride planned for today so we shall see how it goes. They set up the bike with all my bike fit specifications.

Now, let's say I like it, or even love it. Here's the deal: it was normally listed at $1750 in 2013. He is currently selling it for $1400 and says he can't do better than that 20% because he "only makes 30% on bikes" (which I find really hard to believe). Either way, how good of a deal is this? The other part is that I am looking to trade in the Dolce and he won't tell me how much he'll give me for it. He obviously wants me to ride the ruby and love it and then pay whatever for the ruby (I told him as much and he didn't deny it). I can take the Dolce down the street to a very good used bike shop and get a good deal on it for consignment if I need to.

The bike has Sora components and is a 9speed I believe. I am coming from shimano 2300 and 8 speed.

You might want to rethink a bike with Sora. I think you can find something with 105.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

This is the type of grid for a used bike someone did and is pretty accurate for Canada. Don't know for USA but should be comparable.

Also note that bike shops are already discounting all their 2014 stock. So it is hard to sell a used bike at a near same price as new. My LBS does not make a lot out of bikes. They make their money on clothes and accessories.

1st year : -30% before tax
    2nd year : -30% of balance
    3rd : 2nd year : -15% of balance
    4th year : -10% of balance
    5th to 10th year: -10% of balance

The principal is like a car. In used, the dealer will give you a bit less as he has to prepare it for re-selling it and he still has to make money on the sale. If you sell it through classified, you may get a few $ more for it, but still a lot of time spent, unless you are lucky to have the 1st looker, buy it.

Here not a lot of stores will take trade-ins. I was lucky enough that mine did take back my Kuota for the Specialized. I also was lucky not too lose too much out of this deal. It's not always the case. Now I love the new Amira (white/pink) look for 2015 and he said to come and take a look at it then we'll talk. I know 100% what he means: he knows I'll do the switch if I fall in love with the look..and the riding. hihi I want to paint mine but it may be more expensive in the end and I may lose the warranty if I do it. Lots to think about when we try/change a bike. But he did sell my old bike, and my husband's without issues as they were in excellent re-selling condition.

Good luck and have fun riding it.
    Last edited by Helene2013; 09-14-2014 at 04:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    You might want to rethink a bike with Sora. I think you can find something with 105.
    So, I've read that quite a bit on this forum, but I guess I was thinking that anything would be a step up from what I am currently using. I rode the Compact with Sora today and I definitely cannot go back to the Shimano 2300. I guess that's probably what its like with the Ultegra or the 105s.

Here's what I noticed: I really liked being able to shift from the drops (have thumb shifters on my Dolce that I can't reach) and the shifts were cleaner than on my bike. However, there were certain gear changes that were rough, like it was a big jump for the chain. Is that what is wrong with the Sora? Is that what the ultegra does better? Or is it something more? I liked having a 34/32 combination for the really steep hill on my route.

When you say you think I can find something with 105 ... This Ruby fit wonderfully and I really liked it. And this bike shop is my best bet. And now I cannot go back to my Dolce. Now that I've seen how much better riding can be, I do not want to ride my Dolce for the century ride I have on Sept. 28.

Quote Originally Posted by Helene2013 View Post
    This is the type of grid for a used bike someone did and is pretty accurate for Canada. Don't know for USA but should be comparable.

Also note that bike shops are already discounting all their 2014 stock. So it is hard to sell a used bike at a near same price as new. My LBS does not make a lot out of bikes. They make their money on clothes and accessories.

1st year : -30% before tax
    2nd year : -30% of balance
    3rd : 2nd year : -15% of balance
    4th year : -10% of balance
    5th to 10th year: -10% of balance

The principal is like a car. In used, the dealer will give you a bit less as he has to prepare it for re-selling it and he still has to make money on the sale. If you sell it through classified, you may get a few $ more for it, but still a lot of time spent, unless you are lucky to have the 1st looker, buy it.

Here not a lot of stores will take trade-ins. I was lucky enough that mine did take back my Kuota for the Specialized. I also was lucky not too lose too much out of this deal. It's not always the case. Now I love the new Amira (white/pink) look for 2015 and he said to come and take a look at it then we'll talk. I know 100% what he means: he knows I'll do the switch if I fall in love with the look..and the riding. hihi I want to paint mine but it may be more expensive in the end and I may lose the warranty if I do it. Lots to think about when we try/change a bike. But he did sell my old bike, and my husband's without issues as they were in excellent re-selling condition.

Good luck and have fun riding it.

I'm less worried about what I'll get on the trade-in, because I know I can consign it at the other shop for a fair price. I will probably take it to that other bike shop to get a quote before I make a final decision. How good of a deal is a new 2013 Ruby Compact for $1400 (from $1750)?

Soooo, I cannot go back to the Dolce. No no no. So, now I'm kind of stuck. The fit was amazing, even better than the Dolce that I had fitted somehow. The ride was smooth, the 34/32 combination saved me some energy on the really tough climbs so that I was able to complete the 82 miles and 5,200 ft of climbing that I had planned for today, being able to shift from the drops was great, and the bike as a whole just seems to take a little less effort to ride. Done. I'm riding a century with 6,500 ft of climbing on Sept. 28.

I will see if my LBS has any other leftover 2013 Ruby's in stock at 20% off with better components. But I figure that will be around $800-$1000 more and I don't know if I want to spend that right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    New Sora is a heck of a lot nicer than it used to be, and they've moved to the two-lever style rather than the thumb triggers. So it's not horrible. It's probably the Tiagra of five years ago. The only caveat is that the carbon on the entry models, as far as I know, still isn't as nice as on the higher-level ones. That may have changed.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by humblpirate View Post
    So, I've read that quite a bit on this forum, but I guess I was thinking that anything would be a step up from what I am currently using. I rode the Compact with Sora today and I definitely cannot go back to the Shimano 2300. I guess that's probably what its like with the Ultegra or the 105s.

Here's what I noticed: I really liked being able to shift from the drops (have thumb shifters on my Dolce that I can't reach) and the shifts were cleaner than on my bike. However, there were certain gear changes that were rough, like it was a big jump for the chain. Is that what is wrong with the Sora? Is that what the ultegra does better? Or is it something more? I liked having a 34/32 combination for the really steep hill on my route.

When you say you think I can find something with 105 ... This Ruby fit wonderfully and I really liked it. And this bike shop is my best bet. And now I cannot go back to my Dolce. Now that I've seen how much better riding can be, I do not want to ride my Dolce for the century ride I have on Sept. 28.
    Sorry for back-to-back posting, but:
    It's probably not so bad as it once was now that Sora is 9-speed (I have 8-speed 2300 from 2009 on my road bike, so that's where I'm coming from), but yes, the shifting on the more expensive components is smoother (that's what a 10-speed cassette gets you--smaller jumps so smoother shifting, in addition to the better machining and finishing). It's also lighter, and less...finicky. (Basically translates to less adjustment.) If you can afford it, go for 105. It'll last you a lot longer.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Owlie just said what I was going to say. My first road bike had Sora, and although it was 13 years ago, it was the reason why I bought another bike 1 year later. Going up to Ultegra was the biggest change that made riding better.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I called my LBS and they have a new 2014 Ruby Sport with tiagra/105 mix for $1800. Is this a better deal for what I would be getting? I prefer the colors of the cheaper bike but that isn't everything (I put too high a high premium on what a bike looks like tbh)

Though I figure I can spice up the satin titanium finish on the better bike with some purple handlebar tape. It would probably make me like it about 10x better

I would also get the 2014 bike with 105 instead of Sora. There is a HUGE improvement on shifting on hills with the 105 (and higher like Ultegra/Dura Ace) than the Sora.

Personally, I do NOT think that the 2013 Ruby with Sora at $1400 is a great deal. The 2015 bikes have already arrived, so most stores do not have 2013 bikes any more. If they do have the 2013 bikes, usually they are greatly discounted. In my personal opinion, a better deal is if you can negotiate the $1400 2013 Ruby with Sora with a bike fit, $1400 with tax already included, and free drink cage holders.
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)

Specialized bike fit is free at my shop. The owner originally said he cannot do better than the 20% off (1400 down from 1750), but I think he can. He didn't even want to throw in the (albeit carbon) bottle cages. Those are some good ideas though. I think I will try the 2014 with tiagra/105 and then tell him that if wants to get rid of the 2013 he should make me the best offer he can.

The 2014 Ruby Sport is on 15% off with internal cable routing, a fact 9r frame instead of 8r, a better seat (that he can keep), and tiagra/105. So at 1800 (down from 2100) that seems like a better deal.

I called my LBS and they have a new 2014 Ruby Sport with tiagra/105 mix for $1800. Is this a better deal for what I would be getting? I prefer the colors of the cheaper bike but that isn't everything (I put too high a high premium on what a bike looks like tbh)
    Though I figure I can spice up the satin titanium finish on the better bike with some purple handlebar tape. It would probably make me like it about 10x better
    I just want to wish you luck - I'm thinking of the same. There's a shop near me that has the 2014 Ruby Sport in my size, greatly discounted. Although there are other colors I prefer on the bike, I actually like the titanium color because I don't have to worry about my bright jerseys clashing with it. (I, too, worry too much about what the bike looks like) I just bought a Dolce last year, too.

Hey @ibrakeforpastry it sounds like we're in the same boat! What are they selling that bike for? I like the titanium, but I have the black and purple Dolce and I love the colors sooo much. I really just isn't want the red in there. I haven't seen it in person yet, but there are red highlights.