Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Running for dummies

To disable ads, please log-in.

So, I thought I might try running. Between my unpredictable schedule and a few other things, riding is just not in the cards right now. (No, they're not going anywhere. I will have time...one day.) Running's a little more...get-up-and-go and doesn't require lugging 25lb+ up 3 flights of stairs in 90+-degree heat in shoes that aren't all that friendly to concrete stairs. I need to do something, and while I've never really liked running for a few reasons, it has a pretty low barrier to entry compared to other things I might be doing.

I have shoes (trail and road, actually!), socks, shorts, some wicking shirts, a good sports bra, and an iPod with some good music. What I don't have is any idea where or how to start. I'm not *totally* sedentary, but haven't really been doing much of anything lately. One complicating factor: I have an existing piriformis issue (caused/aggravated by a knee injury from the bike). Can all you wise runner types recommend some resources for beginners?
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I really don't consider myself a wise runner type yet, as I am a beginner (never having run until this year), but I did just finish my first half marathon, so perhaps the wise ones won't mind me chiming in. If you have an existing injury, I would think that technique will be important. One of the things I explored in my "beginning to run" quest was Chi Running. In addition to running, they also have walking and walk/run programs. I would love to take one of their workshops. There are a few workshops coming up in AZ in the next month. Perhaps that might be a place to start?

http://www.chirunning.com/learn-it/find-a-workshop/

+1 on ChiRunning. It literally changed my life. The workshops are probably out of your budget ATM, but there's a fair amount of free resources on their website, and/or the book and/or DVD are more affordable.

One caveat though, they've lightened up some recently, but ChiRunning tends to look at running form as THE solution to any injuries and imbalances. To me, while it's super important to learn NOT to reinforce your imbalances while running, I think targeted exercises along with your running can get you there quicker and more safely.

You know I'm a little obsessed with feet since they've been such a problem for me .... but hips and feet are the two ends of the same movement dysfunction, and if you've got piriformis issues, I think it's likely that some foot work could really help. Even just making sure that my shoes have plenty of room for all parts of my feet, and wearing minimal shoes whenever I can (I don't run minimal) have really helped my feet, along with yoga.

What's helped more than anything I think is keeping in my mind all the time the foot placement cues from yoga, mainly just evenly weighting all four corners of the feet (first and fifth metatarsal heads, and inner and outer heel). Simple cue, LOTS of consciousness and physical work, enormous benefits all the way up the kinetic chain.

And, start slower and shorter than you want to. Also easier said than done. When I first started running it was in a similar situation, a portable workout to do on days I couldn't do my usual workouts, and so I'd go far enough to get the amount of cardio I was used to, and then I couldn't walk for three days afterward. A mile or maybe even half a mile is enough for your first outing. You will want to keep going, but just don't. If you feel good the next day, then try a little farther.

Don't forget to have fun.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    And, start slower and shorter than you want to. Also easier said than done. When I first started running it was in a similar situation, a portable workout to do on days I couldn't do my usual workouts, and so I'd go far enough to get the amount of cardio I was used to, and then I couldn't walk for three days afterward. A mile or maybe even half a mile is enough for your first outing. You will want to keep going, but just don't. If you feel good the next day, then try a little farther.

Don't forget to have fun.
    Oakleaf nailed it here--go slower and shorter than you think you "should." If you cannot rely on yourself to do that, try a schedule like Couch to 5K to get you started. Stretch that piriformis after your run. Have fun.

Couch-to-5k. It's wildly popular because it's really well designed. It's how I got my start nearly 9 years ago. Now there are nifty C25k apps, too.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

So, we're going to try this again. I did a bit of running while back here in the frozen north. And I have to say, it's much easier and more fun when there's moisture in the air (and not...you know, 90 degrees)! (Probably a mistake, since I used my everyday shoes, which are New Balance 610s, which have zero cushioning in them and not a ton of arch support. My "running shoes" didn't fit in my suitcase. Owww.)

Anyway, I went to the LRS today. My dad bought walking shoes from them and recommended them highly, so off we went. After an hour 1+ and 6 pairs of shoes, I now have a pair of Nike Structures. Comfy, and I had no idea where I was missing support until now, but man are they ugly--black, pink, turquoise and white. (Seriously, why are stability shoes hideous with huge swaths of white midsole? They look like the offspring of the cool-kid running shoes in fun colors and old-man shoes.) I also picked up some compression shorts. Bike shorts have spoiled me. Anyway, I've washed and re-packed all my gear, but once I get home, I start C25k again...
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I consider myself a runner first, cyclist second. Trying to even them out. I always wear Brooks, and they have to be pink! I just had to get a stability shoe of sorts. It's the Brooks Adrenaline GTS. It has some white in the sole, but not too much. I wear a lot of running skirts because they're fun. Brooks makes nice ones. Running Skirts has some fun patterns, but I stick to basic black mostly. Asics makes very comfy shorts with a panty. Also, CWX makes a great compression tight. Have fun!!

I also only wear Brooks. I had to go through many brands to find one that was right for me. Luckily, my local running store actually lets you leave the store with the shoes on your feet and go for an actual run.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75