Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yogurt conspiracy

To disable ads, please log-in.

I eat a lot of Greek yogurt. I like the taste, it has a lot of protein plus it has healthy bacteria. I'm not much of a meat eater, so I really have to make an effort to get enough protein each day. The yogurt is a big part of that effort. I generally like blueberry and vanilla, and sometimes will buy black cherry or pineapple. I do not like the taste of plain yogurt.

I used to buy the store brand because it tasted good and was a good price. But a few months ago they switched from 6 oz cups to 5.3 oz. But I don't want smaller servings!! If anything I want larger servings!! This is the healthy food in my diet, I want more not less.

I looked at different brands, went to a bunch of stores, and found that the entire yogurt industry is switching to 5.3 oz cups. Evil!! I managed to find one brand that was still 6 oz -- Fruyo, the blended yogurt from Fage. It tasted good, was a bit pricey but worth it.

Yesterday I went to the grocery store, and all the Fruyo was sold out. I looked at the tags on the shelf where it was supposed to be. The tags all said "Fruyo 5.3 oz."

So my last option for yogurt has gone over to the dark side.

This really ticks me off. People who are in the business of selling yogurt should want to sell more of it, not less. I fully expect that their next move will be to print "Greek Yogurt 0 oz" on pieces of paper and sell them for a $1 a piece.

So now I'm left with two options. I can still buy yogurt in 32 oz containers and portion that out 8 oz or so at a time. But that is only available in vanilla, and there's a limit to how often I want vanilla. Even if I add fruit to it, it still is too much vanilla. (I think Chobani might sell larger containers of blueberry, but it tastes nasty. Chobani is actually the worst-tasting yogurt, IMO. I've also seen a brand that sells honey yogurt in 32-oz containers, but I don't like honey.)

So I also need to figure out other ways to get enough protein without increasing total calories. I'm having trouble with this one.

I suppose I also need to look into probiotic supplements. Different brands contain different strains of bacteria, and I don't know which is the best option.

Anyway, I'm really angry at the yogurt industry. I can supersize junk food all I want, but the healthy food portions get smaller and smaller. Evil!!!!!!
    Last edited by ny biker; 09-02-2014 at 11:25 AM.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I get the 32 oz cartons of plain greek yogurt (Fage 2%) and add Smuckers or Polaner's Speadable Fruit/All Fruit to taste. There are lots of different fruit flavors to change it up.

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

That's what we do as well, but with fage 0% It's really good with maple syrup added to it and fresh berries.

I do have a "thing" for making sure I get real Greek yogurt. It's such a big thing that some companies make it have the Greek yogurt consistency by adding corn starch, like Dannon's Oikos.

Veronica
    Last edited by Veronica; 09-02-2014 at 02:28 PM.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I don't buy anything except o% fat plain Greek yogurt. The sugar in the fruited yogurts is way too much. I add in my own fruit, and if I really want a sweet taste, I drizzle some organic honey on it.
    Last edited by Crankin; 09-03-2014 at 03:00 AM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    I agree, the shrinking yogurt size is rotten! My other peeve is that so much yogurt now is nonfat...I'm sorry, but nonfat yogurt (even Greek) just doesn't taste right as far as I'm concerned. And there are some flavors you just can't seem to find in lowfat anymore...like lemon, which is one of my favorites.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

make your own yogurt? then strain to make it into greek yogurt by straining out the whey.

Gotta brush off my yogurt maker. Why not? I've been busy making pickled greek pepperoncini (greek style fermented in salt water). pickled pepperoncini in vinegar (like the kind you see in store), dill pickle (fermented kind), tomato sauce,sweet cucmber relish and other things.., So I guess I'll be making yogurt and lightly cook some homegrown blueberries/strawberries we froze earlier in season. hmm maybe I'll pick some golden/yellow raspberries and cook it down then strain to remove "seeds"

So I just pulled my yogurt maker out. DUSTY!! Found a box of Yogourmet OOPS expiration date is 2008. box says refrigeration recommended. OOPS and more OOPS!!

BTW, you don't need a yogurt maker. You can do with baking dish and few glass cups and oven set on warm.
    here is a good video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZZAUqFqAnY
    Last edited by smilingcat; 09-02-2014 at 05:36 PM.

I make yogurt in a quart mason jar and set it in a cooler with some jugs of warm water. Store-bought plain yogurt with live bacteria works as the starter. I've recently tried 2 varieties of mesophilic yogurt (cultures at room temperature) and it's OK but thinner and less tasty. So back to heating the milk to 180F and cooling it to 115F. I'm eating whole milk yogurt, as it keep you full longer and keep your blood sugar more steady (less urge to snack). If you drain off whey to turn it into Green yogurt, you can use the whey as starter for fermenting vegetables.

I've also been culturing buttermilk - super easy, cultures at room temperature, keeps for a couple weeks in the fridge. Buttermilk is nice in pancakes, muffins, and breads. Also nice for soaking breakfast oats overnight.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

I just buy the huge tubs of plain Fage (the full fat stuff) and add fruit and honey as I see fit. Not as portable, sure, but I can spoon it into a container and take it with me. (It's also not as likely to get stolen out of the communal fridge.)

I can never find the big containers of full-fat Fage. It's all 2% or 0. My Fry's carries the small containers, but sporadically and I get two to three smoothies out of those. I have to make a trip to Whole Foods on the other side of town to get them. (On the other hand, the one near me just opened up again after being closed for a year for a remodel. I'll see if it's there.)
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

OMG OMG OMG!!! I made the Greek yogurt by following the youtube video instruction. I'm in heaven.

Okay so first thing first. For a change I followed the instruction with one change. It took far longer than 4 to 4-1/2 hr to set up. It took overnight. Then I drained it for about 4 hours because that was all I could take.

The yogurt was really thick. I mixed in two table spoon of raspberry/blackberry honey into 8oz of yogurt. And OMG!!

And OMG I figured out the calories. around 360 calories per 8oz.
    1/2 gallon of whole milk
    one cup of heavy creme
    1/2cup of plain greek yogurt
    and it looks like it will make about 3 pints of yogurt after the whey is separated out.

The man in the video used T-shirt to strain. ughh. I used a blank tea bags (extra large one from Monterey Bay Spice) or use large coffee filter and a colander. It takes about three to four hours to separate out the whey.

Now I'm trying with non-fat milk. The video warned that it will not taste as good as the whole milk with heavy creme. If it is good enough then I'll start making it with non-fat milk.

ONE THING THAT BOTHERED ME ABOUT THE VIDEO WAS STERILIZING THE CONTAINERS, SPOON AND WHISK AHEAD OF TIME. When ever I pickle food, I'm extra careful about sterilization: boiling the spoon, whisk and the containers. yes bad bug is supposed to be overwhelmed by the good bugs but why not spend little extra time to reduce the bad bug count.

My yogurt machine is going to be donated since it is so much easier with a pot, spoon, broiler tray (Bain-marie) for waterbath and few mason jars.

You can use butter muslin and set it up to drain overnight. Just tie the ends of your cheesecloth over a wooden spoon or dowel, to make a sling for the yogurt, and hang it over a 5 gallon pail. Nice and thick by morning.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I realize I'm pulling this thread out of the deep freeze, but I make my yogurt in a crockpot. I have about 2% involvement in the process, and the crockpot does all the rest! I strain the yogurt through cheesecloth -- I tried the coffee filters but they clogged up and didn't let much whey through. Nielsen-Massey makes a vanilla powder that I love to put in with yogurt and muesli, but fresh blueberries are just a little bit of heaven too.

I have to chuckle! I can barely make dinner more than 3 nights a week due to time or just being tired (or lazy). Making yogurt? I just can't imagine! Good for all of you that do!

K
    katluvr

Yeah, I actually love to cook, but there's no way I am going to make my own yogurt. I am perfectly happy with Fage plain Greek yogurt.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Me too. I get the 0% Fage and throw in a handful of fruit I have frozen that I picked fresh last summer - peaches, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries -- whatever I feel like that day. By the time I ride to work, the fruit is thawed.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    I agree, the shrinking yogurt size is rotten! My other peeve is that so much yogurt now is nonfat...I'm sorry, but nonfat yogurt (even Greek) just doesn't taste right as far as I'm concerned. And there are some flavors you just can't seem to find in lowfat anymore...like lemon, which is one of my favorites.
    Low-fat/fat-free makes me really irritated (especially since it means adding thickeners to things to regain the consistency lost by removing fat). Hello, the 80s & 90s called, they want their brainwashed food back!

I've made my own yogurt in the past. It's super easy. 1 gallon whole milk, 4 quart containers, 1 cooler, 1 heating pad set on low heat. After heating the milk and adding a TB of starter yogurt to each quart container I'd stick them in the cooler with heating pad for 12 hours. In the AM, voila -- fresh yogurt!! To make it Greek I'd line a colander with a couple layers of paper towel, dump the yogurt in, lay plastic wrap onto the surface of the yogurt, then set the colander over a large bowl and leave it in the fridge overnight.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2