Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Threaded View

Yogurt conspiracy

I eat a lot of Greek yogurt. I like the taste, it has a lot of protein plus it has healthy bacteria. I'm not much of a meat eater, so I really have to make an effort to get enough protein each day. The yogurt is a big part of that effort. I generally like blueberry and vanilla, and sometimes will buy black cherry or pineapple. I do not like the taste of plain yogurt.

I used to buy the store brand because it tasted good and was a good price. But a few months ago they switched from 6 oz cups to 5.3 oz. But I don't want smaller servings!! If anything I want larger servings!! This is the healthy food in my diet, I want more not less.

I looked at different brands, went to a bunch of stores, and found that the entire yogurt industry is switching to 5.3 oz cups. Evil!! I managed to find one brand that was still 6 oz -- Fruyo, the blended yogurt from Fage. It tasted good, was a bit pricey but worth it.

Yesterday I went to the grocery store, and all the Fruyo was sold out. I looked at the tags on the shelf where it was supposed to be. The tags all said "Fruyo 5.3 oz."

So my last option for yogurt has gone over to the dark side.

This really ticks me off. People who are in the business of selling yogurt should want to sell more of it, not less. I fully expect that their next move will be to print "Greek Yogurt 0 oz" on pieces of paper and sell them for a $1 a piece.

So now I'm left with two options. I can still buy yogurt in 32 oz containers and portion that out 8 oz or so at a time. But that is only available in vanilla, and there's a limit to how often I want vanilla. Even if I add fruit to it, it still is too much vanilla. (I think Chobani might sell larger containers of blueberry, but it tastes nasty. Chobani is actually the worst-tasting yogurt, IMO. I've also seen a brand that sells honey yogurt in 32-oz containers, but I don't like honey.)

So I also need to figure out other ways to get enough protein without increasing total calories. I'm having trouble with this one.

I suppose I also need to look into probiotic supplements. Different brands contain different strains of bacteria, and I don't know which is the best option.

Anyway, I'm really angry at the yogurt industry. I can supersize junk food all I want, but the healthy food portions get smaller and smaller. Evil!!!!!!
    Last edited by ny biker; 09-02-2014 at 11:25 AM.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles