Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

C'mon, somebody must be running!

Where's everyone been? How's the running going?

I've decided to run NYC as a fun run. I was so close to burnout after Boston that I just couldn't get excited about actual training, but I didn't really want to defer either, who knows what might happen in a year. So, I'm just building mileage back, and picking up a 5K here and there and calling it speedwork. PR'd last week, actually, which astounded me since it was brutally hot and humid, and I was expecting to run MUCH slower. But it was an evening race, which my body seems to like, as much as my head doesn't. And, I tried pre-cooling for the first time, without planning it - it was just so hot when I started warming up, and they had a snow cone stand in the start-finish area, so I got a cup of shaved ice with just a splash of syrup and ate as much as I could without letting it melt. Something must've worked!

I also just got a new pair of Altra Torin 1.5 - those shoes and also their One2 are on a new last with a much wider toe box. Unsurprisingly I could still use a scoche more width, but they're about the same in my trouble spots as the 4E Nike Structures I've been running in, and the zero drop is soooooo nice. My chronic Achilles trouble just goes away when I run in those shoes. Yay. I've already ordered a second pair, since these will have too many miles on them before November.

And, registration for Boston opens in a week and a half. Can't decide if I want to run it again. One thing about taking it easy in New York, is that I'll actually be a little bit better positioned to carry more fitness through to a spring marathon if I choose.

Your turn!!
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 08-30-2014 at 12:41 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I keep tweaking my right knee when I try to run - going back to my unplanned trail 5K (solo) in June... So I am living vicariously through you and the others here. I might eventually need to get it checked out, but that is another story...and it IS improving!

I can certainly understand your mixed feelings about Boston, but have fun whatever you choose do!

I have a duathlon tomorrow...then one 5 days later, a CX race the day after that, then another duathlon 6 days after that. I'm already tired just thinking about it!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Zoom-zoom, you should really try to get some exercise!

Quote Originally Posted by roo4 View Post
    Zoom-zoom, you should really try to get some exercise!
    Ha, I think by this time next week I may have some regrets...biting off more than I can chew. I may skip the CX race and go heckle my friends, depending upon how I feel.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Dang Zoom! Good luck!

Congratulations everyone, it all sounds good! I've been itching to trail run, but my knee is still getting over an ill-advised (apparently) 5-K trail run I did in June. Heal quickly GLC!

Oakleaf, that sounds great, fantastic even!

Owlie, you are doing well to listen to your body! My knee is only now recovering from an ill-advised trail 5K I did in early June. Week 2 isn't going anywhere until you are ready for it!

Great job getting it done, Oak...and fast, to boot! Nice!

I ran the Portland Half Marathon on Sunday. I had another friend running the half and two more doing the full, so it was a fun day. I ran the first 11 miles side by side with a friend from high school who was doing the full and we both agreed that those 11 miles were by far, the best of the day. We both faded fast after the split but luckily, I only had to survive two more. She had 15 more! Everyone agreed that it was a tough day and I think it was partly the heat. We are just not used to 85F and some humidity in October!

Anyway, despite a plethora of blisters on my toes, the heat, and those two tough miles, I was only 10 minutes off my PR for a half. Considering how undisciplined my training has been, I am not complaining. It was an EXTREMELY well done race though and I'm thinking I'll do it again next year to redeem myself.

My next will likely be a half in December. I'll sign up for it once I nail down my travel schedule for that month to make sure I'll be in town. :-)
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Yay GLC! Heat is brutal. Bet you'd have had a PR in better temperatures.

I'm a big fan of Band-Aid Advanced Healing Blister colloidal pads. I can usually run and walk pain free if I cover blisters with them. For blister prevention I'll pre-wrap my most blister prone toes, especially in hot or wet weather. I also slather my feet with Band-Aid Friction Block, which I think is better than Body Glide on feet. With that protocol (and with finally finding shoes that more or less fit!, and keeping problem calluses shaved) I haven't actually had a blister in a few years. I still use Body Glide anywhere else I need it, but the blue stick stays on feet longer IMO. Anyway hope they heal up fast.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 10-08-2014 at 04:59 AM.

Thanks for all the hints, Oak! I've never done any blister prevention for running before (mostly because I don't usually have blister issues), so this is very helpful. I was ready to dump my shoes and try new ones, but maybe my shoes are fine and I just need to think about some other prevention measures. Cool.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Yay GLC! Heat is brutal. Bet you'd have had a PR in better temperatures.

I'm a big fan of Band-Aid Advanced Healing Blister colloidal pads. I can usually run and walk pain free if I cover blisters with them. For blister prevention I'll pre-wrap my most blister prone toes, especially in hot or wet weather. I also slather my feet with Band-Aid Friction Block, which I think is better than Body Glide on feet. With that protocol (and with finally finding shoes that more or less fit!, and keeping problem calluses shaved) I haven't actually had a blister in a few years. I still use Body Glide anywhere else I need it, but the blue stick stays on feet longer IMO. Anyway hope they heal up fast.
    Nice work, GLC!!

Also, I think Body Glide is absolute garbage. I don't know how it's so popular, because it's crap and it's $$. I gave up when I had several sticks totally crumble with 1/3 of the product remaining. A couple of ultra friends told me about Two Toms Sport Shield roll-on (I use it for "chub rub" and if I get raw spots around my bra band or anywhere else) and I've been hooked on that since. No need to reapply, unlike Body Glide. And they have a Blister Shield sock powder that is phenomenal. I don't get ANY blisters during races, ever. Hardly even any hot spots.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Is that the stuff with teflon? Ew. No thanks. I lived in the Ohio Valley for a while, and even if I hadn't I wouldn't put the stuff on my body.