Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Turkey Trotting

Turkey Trotting

To disable ads, please log-in.

So thought I would start the November thread.
    Did 4 miles today. My pace has been way slow for the past year now. I finally had a few miles at something other than turtle pace. It was a good run. I have 12 miles planned for tomorrow. As the 1/2 marathon (trail) is in 1.5 weeks.

I never posted about my 10K trail run. It was in the 40's which is darn cold for this Floridian this soon in the season. I knew there was some single track so I knew it was not an easy 10K. There was also a "stream crossing". Well the "steam" turned into a river as they the water control people let more water out of whatever dam or aquifer that feeds it. So at mile 1 in 40 degree temps I crossed a neck high river. Water was not colder than the air but the next mile I was darn cold! Sadly at mile 5 we had to cross it again. Due to the traffic the stream/creek bottom had more "holes" and there for it was deeper. Who knew I was going to have to swim! Lost lot of time the last mile with the river crossing, more singled track and one hill climb that requires a rope to get up. 1 hr 24 minutes, I was done, tired and wet!

The trail 1/2 is not as challenging as it is not part of an Xterra course. I do remember last time I did it there was a LOT of sand near the end that not only made running hard but filled up my shoes!

K
    katluvr

Ok, I'll post again: 12 miles today. Legs were a bit tired. Last 3-4 miles tough and last mile really tough. I don't know why I signed up for marathon. 14 weeks to feel much stronger on my runs!
    katluvr

I'm going to come over and pace along next to you on my bike when we move down there.

Electra Townie 7D

Nice work kat! That 10K sounds insane!! You've got time to get ready for the marathon, stick with your plan and put as much emphasis on total weekly mileage as on your long runs, and you'll be fine.

I got out for just a chilly damp couple of miles today. I felt fine enough for three or four, but that's all I'd left myself time for. I did three straight days of moderately strenuous yoga at the studio near my mother-in-law's, so I haven't been a total slug since Sunday.

I'm just so happy I ran New York. It was a complete blast. I've re-connected with the fun much better than if I'd sat this one out. I'll take a couple of weeks to recover (and study, since I'm going to self-coach again), but I can't wait to start training for Boston!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

See you in April....
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I'll never make it to Boston, so I am in awe!
    katluvr

Let me tell you about awe ... I don't even know how many people I've told about the woman I "know" from Florida who's run Pike's Peak TWICE, and everyone I've told has been just as gobsmacked as I am about the number of bridge repeats you must have to have run! And that was BEFORE you posted about the neck deep water. Don't you dare be in awe of me!

Woah Katluver, you are AWESOME! You talk about neck-deep cold water like it was nothing....I bow at your feet. Keep on keeping on! I wish my body would allow me to run like that, but it won't, so with your permission my inner adventure runner will live vicariously through your adventures!

Thanks ya'll! I do often minimize what I do, cuz I'm always so darn slow! But I can/do endure! That's why it's good to post here and visit here often to get some good feedback!
    I'm about to go to be before 9 on a Friday night. I think I am still very tried from yesterday's long run. I worked today and my job as a NP has me on my feet all day. I have been wearing my Garmin 15 to work (love it, I can get steps like a fitness band and use it for pace/distance/time for my runs)l Anyway I average 9000 steps at work each day. So after yesterdays over 20,000 steps (it includes the "running steps") I think I need some extra sleep!
    K
    katluvr

Kat, that trail run sounds scary and freezing! I would have had hypothermia.
    You are really tough!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Monday was a 3 mile walk/run with SO as she is trying to get back to running. I did some walking lunges afterwards and paid for it in my quads the next day.
    Tuesday was some interval time on the TM before work, trying to work on my pace.
    Weds day off
    Today: 4 miles "bridge" repeats. The FL version of hill repeats. 4 times up and over. Felt pretty good. Last time up was tough and it was from the steeper side. All and all pleased with today's run/effort.
    It's always interesting to check out blogs, forums, magazines for either biking, running or tri's. Florida's season for each of those sports is different.

K
    katluvr

Suspect most everyone is snowed in and no running taking place.
    Quick up date on this week:
    Trail 1/2 marathon on Sunday. No rivers to cross. It was still pretty warm and in fact up to the upper 70's-low 80's by finish. I stuck to my plan of taking a walk break at each mile. I admit near the end I walked more often. Mostly rolling/undulating terrain. Mostly it was the heat that slowed me and many down. But I completed it in 2 hr 45 minutes. (11 minutes faster than last year). Overall happy with my time.
    Took Monday off.
    Tuesday was to be 6 miles but only did 4.5. Some lower GI distress made me turn around early.
    I went to my folks house and was going to run up there on Weds. AM--brought all my cool running wear but forgot the sports bra. No way I was running without that!
    So today added a bit to my scheduled mileage and did 7 miles. Good cool weather for running.
    Tomorrow will be 11 (originally planned for 10 miles but trying to make up some lost mileage this week).
    Stay warm all!
    K
    katluvr

Nice work on the half!

Yeah, we only had one day where there was too much snow on the road to run, and it melted/compacted pretty quickly off the lane too so I wouldn't have to get my shoes very wet on the way to the road, but I'm in that sluggish thing that happens to me every year, when my fall race is over, my spring race is a long ways off, and all of a sudden it's just TOO DANG COLD TO RUN. I've done a couple of 10-mile out-and-backs on the MUP when I had to be in town for something else ... a couple of 4-6 mile jaunts to the nearest town ...

Really if it stays in the 20s and sunny, I'm fine. Much colder than that and it starts bothering both my asthma and especially my Raynaud's. And when it's like 40, so I'm already freezing in the house in two layers of wool because the heat hardly ever comes on, and then I'm supposed to put on lightweight lycra ... ugh/brrrrrr. It's actually a lot easier to motivate when it's cold enough outside to wear clothes that are warm enough to wear in the house!

So, we can have turkey for the winter holidays too, eh? Or we're still finishing the Thanksgiving leftovers? Or we've got turkey soup in the freezer. Maybe more people would post if I started a new thread ...

Back south and what might be becoming a habit, Thanksgiving Day 5K in the low 20°s, then the annual 10K the first weekend of December in heat and humidity. I haven't been here two days yet. Ow. Actually it wasn't nearly as hot this year as last, but the humidity as usual was over 90%. Last year's was my first ever 10K and this was my second ... plus last year I was kind of holding back since I was nursing a foot strain, so I ran over 3 minutes faster this time, but still I would've liked to break 50 minutes but only ran a 50:45. Good enough for female grandmaster champion, not that I like the sound of being anything with "grand" in the prefix.

Then over to the farmers' market on the hybrid bike for a beach bum duathlon.

Who else is running?
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 12-06-2014 at 09:27 AM.