Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Nice Zoom, glad your ankle stayed good, keep being careful with it.

Solo, if you haven't been running much, three miles isn't "short" at all. I can't even remember how many times I learned that the hard way when I first started running - really it's HOW I started running, learning that three miles wasn't just something I could do once every few weeks!

Now though ... first 20-miler of this cycle yesterday. It was just sooooo beautiful! It was an amazing fall day, the roads were just incredibly beautiful, and everything was so perfect that even the not-so-perfect parts of the run were still nice. Accidentally routing myself behind the landfill ... I was upwind and there was enough of a breeze that I smelled nothing at all (not like the last time I did that ) - the machinery was mostly working elsewhere so it wasn't super loud - and I even got a look at their methane to electricity generating facility. The covered bridge that was covered with graffiti ... still a cute little covered bridge. And then there was the little pond with a bunch of turtles sunning themselves on a log, the tiny windy roads through the woods, the herd of goats with their herding dog, a few little creeks still running though it hasn't rained recently, and through it all the dry fall air, the leaves just beginning to turn, the quality of the light ... so beautiful.

I'm sore today, but even though I knew ahead of time that I would be, at this point I've done enough 20 milers that it isn't so much of a mental hurdle. It sure helped that I chose a route that wasn't quite as hilly my last two long runs, too. I'd mapped out a 20 that was at least as hilly, but decided I'd be nuts to try it yesterday. There's no flat around here, and there were still a few very steep hills, but in comparison it felt easy.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Hey All!

I've still been remiss about getting in my weekday runs but I did manage 11.5 yesterday in prep for a half marathon next Sunday. I needed the longer run for confidence as my running has been/felt lousy lately. The first half of the run was wonderful...actually, the first 2/3rds were pretty good. The last third was rough. I've got blisters on top of blisters and a toenail that is about to give up the ghost. My knees are a little achy today, too. I'm know the problem is that I don't run frequently enough, but it's days like today that make me question this whole endeavor.

And yet I'm minutes away from signing up for a December half. What is the definition of insanity? Jeeze.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Took a little study break today and did Week 1, Day 1 of C25k. Went reasonably well, although it seems that grad school has turned me into a fat sack of crap. (I could probably still bike 15-20 miles with little problem, but still.) I packed it in a little early--all the rain we've had recently has meant that all the sand and dust that used to be on the side of the road is now in my apartment complex's parking lot (where I went to run, since it's convenient), and I think I sizeable percentage ended up in my throat, and the fact that it's so dry doesn't help. I am really bad about breathing through my mouth. :/
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Whee! I did my "long run" to work today, for the first time in ages. It's not really long, but it's almost twice as long as my regular run-commute, and the best part is that apart from slightly sore feet I feel great. I still have to take the metro the final stretch, but I was still uppity enough to run the final few hundred yards from the station to where I work.

I'm pretty certain I could run my entire commute now without any trouble. The only thing stopping me is that I would have to take the most direct route, which means pavement and traffic instead of winding leafy paths along the river. But it would be pretty awesome, to get in to work and have somebody ask me (for the umpteenth time) "wow, did you run to work" and be able to answer "why, yes!".
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

That is really cool, lph.
    Quite a few of you could run my commute to work... 5.2 miles.
    But, I am pretty sure that if I ran there, I would not be running home! Sometimes, I even feel that way about commuting home on my bike, but of course, I don't have a choice.
    On Monday, I was in my bike clothes and then decided not to commute. I had already been to the gym, and I was tired. Sometimes, these decisions are really smart. When I came out of work at 7 PM, it was 58 degrees and rainy/misty, with darkness making it feel colder. I wouldn't have minded riding in this, but I would not have been been prepared, as I would not have had a rain jacket or head cover. Rain was not predicted to start until much later.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Another day of C25k week one yesterday. I might repeat week 1 next week too.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Yesterday I had another 20 miler on the calendar and it was supposed to be clear and cool. I woke up to rain mixed with snow, in the middle of which the NWS helpfully changed the forecast from 20% chance of precipitation to 60%.

The radar looked like I might get a window later, but I knew myself well enough to know that if I went to the farmers' market and then came home, I was not going to run. I thought maybe the MUP would be safer and more pleasant in that kind of weather. So, I packed up a cooler full of ice packs for the food, a jar of water for the flowers I planned to buy, and threw my running clothes and gear into a sack, and hoped that my motivation was already in the car somewhere, because I was not finding it.

I did my shopping, drove to the next town for another store and where I planned to run, changed in a cold restroom and headed out. I gave myself permission to turn around early if I just couldn't motivate or if it started raining hard enough that I couldn't stay warm. Didn't see another soul for about four miles. As the weather cleared slightly and I passed through the next town, there were a few people out, but at least half of them seemed to be getting ready for their fall marathons too, most likely Columbus in two weeks. But there were even a couple of women on Brompton folding bikes, enjoying the wet leaves and dodging walnuts.

I got it done, hardly got hailed on at all, and here's the kicker: running at the same effort level I usually do my long runs in the hills, I ran it 1:15/mile faster than even the not-so-hilly loop I did last week. So now I know how much free strength and endurance training I get just by running in my own "backyard."

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    Another day of C25k week one yesterday. I might repeat week 1 next week too.
    It's never a bad idea to repeat weeks as needed. The ones who get themselves into trouble are the those who doggedly stick to any plan when their body isn't quite ready to progress. Week 2 will always be there when you're ready for it.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Oakleaf, that sounds great, fantastic even!

Owlie, you are doing well to listen to your body! My knee is only now recovering from an ill-advised trail 5K I did in early June. Week 2 isn't going anywhere until you are ready for it!

Great job getting it done, Oak...and fast, to boot! Nice!

I ran the Portland Half Marathon on Sunday. I had another friend running the half and two more doing the full, so it was a fun day. I ran the first 11 miles side by side with a friend from high school who was doing the full and we both agreed that those 11 miles were by far, the best of the day. We both faded fast after the split but luckily, I only had to survive two more. She had 15 more! Everyone agreed that it was a tough day and I think it was partly the heat. We are just not used to 85F and some humidity in October!

Anyway, despite a plethora of blisters on my toes, the heat, and those two tough miles, I was only 10 minutes off my PR for a half. Considering how undisciplined my training has been, I am not complaining. It was an EXTREMELY well done race though and I'm thinking I'll do it again next year to redeem myself.

My next will likely be a half in December. I'll sign up for it once I nail down my travel schedule for that month to make sure I'll be in town. :-)

Yay GLC! Heat is brutal. Bet you'd have had a PR in better temperatures.

I'm a big fan of Band-Aid Advanced Healing Blister colloidal pads. I can usually run and walk pain free if I cover blisters with them. For blister prevention I'll pre-wrap my most blister prone toes, especially in hot or wet weather. I also slather my feet with Band-Aid Friction Block, which I think is better than Body Glide on feet. With that protocol (and with finally finding shoes that more or less fit!, and keeping problem calluses shaved) I haven't actually had a blister in a few years. I still use Body Glide anywhere else I need it, but the blue stick stays on feet longer IMO. Anyway hope they heal up fast.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 10-08-2014 at 04:59 AM.

Thanks for all the hints, Oak! I've never done any blister prevention for running before (mostly because I don't usually have blister issues), so this is very helpful. I was ready to dump my shoes and try new ones, but maybe my shoes are fine and I just need to think about some other prevention measures. Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Yay GLC! Heat is brutal. Bet you'd have had a PR in better temperatures.

I'm a big fan of Band-Aid Advanced Healing Blister colloidal pads. I can usually run and walk pain free if I cover blisters with them. For blister prevention I'll pre-wrap my most blister prone toes, especially in hot or wet weather. I also slather my feet with Band-Aid Friction Block, which I think is better than Body Glide on feet. With that protocol (and with finally finding shoes that more or less fit!, and keeping problem calluses shaved) I haven't actually had a blister in a few years. I still use Body Glide anywhere else I need it, but the blue stick stays on feet longer IMO. Anyway hope they heal up fast.
    Nice work, GLC!!

Also, I think Body Glide is absolute garbage. I don't know how it's so popular, because it's crap and it's $$. I gave up when I had several sticks totally crumble with 1/3 of the product remaining. A couple of ultra friends told me about Two Toms Sport Shield roll-on (I use it for "chub rub" and if I get raw spots around my bra band or anywhere else) and I've been hooked on that since. No need to reapply, unlike Body Glide. And they have a Blister Shield sock powder that is phenomenal. I don't get ANY blisters during races, ever. Hardly even any hot spots.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Is that the stuff with teflon? Ew. No thanks. I lived in the Ohio Valley for a while, and even if I hadn't I wouldn't put the stuff on my body.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Is that the stuff with teflon? Ew. No thanks. I lived in the Ohio Valley for a while, and even if I hadn't I wouldn't put the stuff on my body.
    Sport Shield: Dimethicone, Aloe Vera Extract, Vitamin E
    Blister Shield sock powder contains PTFE, but it's not heated and since I only use it for longer races I'm using it maybe 5-6x/year, at most. I looked around and couldn't find any reliable risks associated with the stuff. I think I have a greater risk from the potential of a MRSA infection with a popped blister.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3