Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yay Kat! Your weather should be cooling off, eh? You'll nail this.

Just in time for "nothing new on race day," the NYT decides to print this piece about a study where mid-pack marathoners who ate a gel every 20 minutes ran considerably faster than the control group.

But, it's not a goal race, and I'd planned to experiment with nutrition anyway, in a way I really can't on training runs. My plan was to take at least some Gatorade from the aid stations - not my habit, since I don't train with Gatorade, both because it wreaks havoc on my gut the next day and because I don't want to clean it out of my hydration pack. But I was just so nauseous at Boston that I couldn't even take the gels I'd planned, and I know that hurt me in the end, so I did want to try running on Gatorade. I may as well take some at a LOT of the aid stations and see how that works.

I'm getting excited.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post

I'm getting excited.
    Wishing you a great time!
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Thanks! I had a great time! The crowd energy was incredible, and there were a LOT of international runners which made it very cool. I even nailed my clothing, which I was stressing about since I'd never run in that kind of wind before. It was totally worth getting up at 3:30 am. (but thank goodness for daylight savings time!) Plus, got my BQ for 2016.

AWESOME. I knew that wind was going to be there and hoped that you all were able to manage it. I've been in Central Park as runners came through and it was amazing-- warm and friendly and exciting. And wow on the BQ!
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Thanks! I had a great time! The crowd energy was incredible, and there were a LOT of international runners which made it very cool. I even nailed my clothing, which I was stressing about since I'd never run in that kind of wind before. It was totally worth getting up at 3:30 am. (but thank goodness for daylight savings time!) Plus, got my BQ for 2016.
    Congratulations Oakleaf, sounds great! I am glad you were able to do this AND get your BQ

Indianapolis had the Monumental Marathon on Saturday. It is a long tradition here for the first Sat in November and is a Boston qualifier. One expects unpredictable weather on Nov 1 in central Indiana, but NOT temps 20 degrees below normal and snow It was hard enough for me to get out from under the blankets and head for my usual Sat AM KB competition training session which is inside, can't imagine what that must have been like, especially the waiting around before things got started. Thinking of them while I was completing a full competition length set with my comp weight made what I was doing seem much easier!

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Nice! Congratulations on the BQ and a great run.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Congrats, Oakleaf. At least running in the cold is easier than running in the heat!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Yeah, it's not the running in the cold, it's the waiting around beforehand. Monumental I think is small enough that the runners don't have a hugely long wait? And NYC wasn't that cold, but the wind was piercing. For the four and a half hour wait before my start, besides what I ran in, I had two throwaway fleece tops (one hooded), a Tyvek coverall, a reflective mylar poncho, and eight chemical hand warmers, and I was chilly but pretty much okay since I snagged a spot that was mostly sheltered. But there were a lot of people who were shivering for hours.

Yeah, it's not the running in the cold, it's the waiting around beforehand. Monumental I think is small enough that the runners don't have a hugely long wait? And NYC wasn't that cold, but the wind was piercing. For the four and a half hour wait before my start, besides what I ran in, I had two throwaway fleece tops (one hooded), a Tyvek coverall, a reflective mylar poncho, and eight chemical hand warmers, and I was chilly but pretty much okay since I snagged a spot that was mostly sheltered. But there were a lot of people who were shivering for hours.
    Congrats on the race!! I drove over the Verrazano at 9:30 last night and the wind was knocking my car around. I can only imagine what it was like to run over it early in the morning when the winds were higher, especially since I was literally shivering the night before when I left my cousin's wedding, and I was wearing a knee-length wool coat then.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Congrats on the race!! I drove over the Verrazano at 9:30 last night and the wind was knocking my car around. I can only imagine what it was like to run over it early in the morning when the winds were higher.
    It literally nearly knocked me over a couple of times. Blew the foot in the air, into the other leg, so I came close to tripping myself!

It kind of ticked me off that people were shedding clothes on the bridge though. Obviously anything dropped there went right into the water.

Awesome Oak!
    Yes, the waiting around in the cold does me in! Glad you managed and awesome about your BQ!
    katluvr