Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Maybe I'm hyper-aware because I used to know people who worked at the Parkersburg plant and others who got their water from the contaminated well fields. But, I didn't realize that not all 2Toms products have PTFE.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Was really looking forward to a decent run today, but with 90% chance of rain & thunderstorms predicted all day, guess it's not in the cards.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Rainy and chilly here too. After a bunch of emotional drama in the morning I managed to drag myself out yesterday for a broken tempo run, actually the same workout I was doing the day I got hurt two and a half years ago. I was dressed well enough to stay warm and it never rained hard (today's recovery run might be a different story though). One more local 5K tomorrow, one more long run Monday or Tuesday, then taper. I've never been so blasé about a marathon before. Another new experience.

Last long run before taper. I did the crazy hilly route I'd mapped out a few weeks ago, and it was crazy hilly, but I started confident and finished strong. It didn't hurt one bit that it started like this, and only got more beautiful as I got onto the more remote roads:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rainbowtmp.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	17428

I'm dumb. I went for a run on Sunday because it was chilly and dreary out (my favorite run weather) and my husband didn't want to ride until the afternoon. I was enjoying the cooler temps and since I knew I was only going to do 5 miles, I thought I'd pick up the pace. I was kicking it and having a blast when for no particular reason except my own inattentiveness, the sidewalk rose up to meet me...hard. I was about a mile into the run and almost pulled out my phone for my husband to come get me. I'd bashed both my knees and scraped my palms, but my left knee was the worst. It didn't hurt to run, so I did another 1.5 miles before I couldn't take it anymore and called for a ride.

It's now two days later and I'm not only limping from hitting it so hard, but I am not sleeping because of the painful road rash. My knees were covered by my tights but they got scraped up anyway. The left one is really angry and gross but oddly enough, the tights were not damaged!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

OW!! BTDT (once in my own house where I forgot about the step out of the kitchen that had always been there).
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Ow GLC!! Heal quick! Shallow road rash is the most painful of all because it exposes all the nerve endings without damaging them enough to shut them up. DAMHIK ....

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Doing the MDI Half Marathon in Bar Harbor this Sunday...heading up tomorrow and making a mini-vacation out of it (going to do some biking, hiking etc. while there). Last long run (12 miles this past Monday) was absolutely horrendous so I hope that isn't any indication of how I will do...I am trying to blame the yucky run on being post awful night shift with basically no sleep but it still doesn't do good things for one's confidence. Weather for the race is looking good as of right now and it will be a very scenic course so I am looking forward to it. If I can beat my time from the Maine Half two years ago (2:40 and change--yes, I am wicked slow) I will be pleased.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Jolt, hope your race went well!

We had beautiful weather today for the Columbus marathon, hope yours was similar. I went up and volunteered at packet pick-up on Friday since I wasn't going to be running this year. I had fun, checked in a few people I knew, enjoyed chatting with the other volunteers. I also wanted to hit the expo so I won't be tempted to shop in New York because I know it's going to be a zoo! The expo in Columbus was pretty sparse, but I accomplished my main goal, which was to grab a couple of throwaway sweatshirts from the Goodwill booth.

I had a little shoe trouble that's got me slightly worried ... I'd set aside a new pair of shoes for the marathon. Wore them for the first time last week, and somehow the far end of the tongue, that sits inside the toe box, folded over and chewed a big hole in the top of my middle toe. I've been able to bandage it enough to run without aggravating it, but it doesn't really want to heal, either, and I'm afraid to wear those shoes now. My other pair of the same model have few enough miles that I can race in them in a pinch, so I'm not totally stuck. I'm going to have to take the newer pair out for a few really short runs to see what happens ... probably call Altra tomorrow, they're a small company and might have suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Jolt, hope your race went well!

We had beautiful weather today for the Columbus marathon, hope yours was similar. I went up and volunteered at packet pick-up on Friday since I wasn't going to be running this year. I had fun, checked in a few people I knew, enjoyed chatting with the other volunteers. I also wanted to hit the expo so I won't be tempted to shop in New York because I know it's going to be a zoo! The expo in Columbus was pretty sparse, but I accomplished my main goal, which was to grab a couple of throwaway sweatshirts from the Goodwill booth.

I had a little shoe trouble that's got me slightly worried ... I'd set aside a new pair of shoes for the marathon. Wore them for the first time last week, and somehow the far end of the tongue, that sits inside the toe box, folded over and chewed a big hole in the top of my middle toe. I've been able to bandage it enough to run without aggravating it, but it doesn't really want to heal, either, and I'm afraid to wear those shoes now. My other pair of the same model have few enough miles that I can race in them in a pinch, so I'm not totally stuck. I'm going to have to take the newer pair out for a few really short runs to see what happens ... probably call Altra tomorrow, they're a small company and might have suggestions.
    Just checked results...time was 2:15:04 which is WAY better than I did in my half two years ago (that one was 2:40 and change...largely to do with having run that one on very poor sleep because I had been on overnight call). Weather was good for running--50 degrees and overcast, though some wind at the beginning. Everyone had talked about how hard and hilly the course was, but it was not as hard as I had expected--yes there were hills, but mostly longer gradual inclines which are the kind of hills I tend to do well with (it's the short steep ones that are a real bugger). Plus, I had made sure to seek out some nasty hills in training which definitely paid off. During the first few miles I had a lot of people passing me, but after about mile 5 or 6 I started catching quite a few people who must have gone out too fast, or maybe I sped up a little once warmed up. I also saw someone get proposed to at the finish line just after I finished...I had ended up running the last couple miles with her, she had mentioned that her boyfriend had run as well but was way ahead, and when she crossed the finish line he was waiting and next thing I saw was him down on his knee! A race to remember for the happy couple for sure. Oak, hope your race goes well and that you sort out your shoe trouble!
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Jolt, super job! Congratulations!

Wow, Jolt, that's great! And what a romantic thing to witness at the end. It's true love when being a sweaty mess does not stand in the way of the proposal!

Yes, it was quite romantic! Normally I am not a fan of the whole public proposal thing (some of them really put the person on the spot which is not cool) but this one was cute and not over the top.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

I am about to sign up for a marathon that is 16 weeks away....
    So about 14 years ago my mom had a mastectomy and chemo. She's had a few scares and reoccurrences along the way but controlled with oral meds. 2 years ago she had full chemo again with resulting neuropathy, she also had radiation that she finished a year ago. She had 1 good PET scan but now it's back. We are now at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville seeking our next options. Sure she is 78, but she is otherwise heathy and not ready to give in. So, I've done the 26.2 with Donna half marathon 2-3 times and the full marathon once (my 1 and only marathon). But as I drive onto the Mayo campus I see the parking lot and area that the race starts from and I feel it calling me. Sure I could just do the 1/2, the distance I a comfortable to do even with poor training. But I feel I should be challenged and I need some structure right now.
    So the big issue for me is the consistency. As some of you may have read my posts before, I can usually get the long runs in, but running consistently mid-week is always a challenge.
    Today's run was a 10 miler in prep for a trail 1/2 marathon I have in a little over 2 weeks. I am doing a 10 K trail run this weekend. So I am running. Now to get a plan and stick with it! So you might see me posting a bit more here as I should be running a little more consistently!
    K
    katluvr

Beginning of running consistently: 3 miles today. Didn't feel too bad after yesterday's 10.
    K
    katluvr