I'm getting back on a bike after about 10 yrs of not biking. My last bike was a Specialized hybrid that was stolen.

After having 2 children, I think I'll probably just be going on around town rides with family.

In my 20s, I commuted 10 miles each way to work in hilly Portland, OR. I'm a bit wimpy about hills so sometimes I made it up the most grueling on my route and sometimes I walked. Hills are my weakness, so I'm hoping for a bike that will make the hills easier, not harder. And I'd like something that fits well - I've never had a bike that fit well and think I might have been able to tolerate longer, tougher rides if my bikes had fit. But maybe I'm fooling myself.

So far I've tested the following:

Jamis Citizen 1 and 3 - seemed fine, but the bike store staff didn't impress me, couldn't answer my questions well and actually suggested I go to a higher end bike store (this place sells skis except in summer)

Jamis Coda Sport - ditto about the store and I didn't like the straight handlebar and leaning over more
(Also the store didn't not have any Jamis women's bikes in stock, however they were all on sale with pretty good prices)

Electra Townie - thought I would like this since I want to be comfortable, but the forward position of the legs felt weird to me and a bit hard on hills

Trek Verve 3 WSD in 16. This felt incredibly upright. At first it was comfy and I liked the handlebars, but I had to slow way down to turn so I'm ruling this out. Also standing to go uphill, my butt was bumping the seat as I pedaled - pretty distracting

Trek FX WSD 7.1 in 17.5. This handled very nicely but I found the straight handlebar uncomfortable. At first I thought leaning over slightly more was bothering me, but then I realized it just the angle of the wrist on the straight handlebar. I think I would need to change out the handlebar, making the cost more like the Konas below.

Electra Verse 21 size 16.5 in hot pink (my daughter would pick this one). I actually liked the fit of this bike and liked the handlebars, found it fine going uphill, but it didn't handle as well as the Trek FX. Probably if I hadn't already ridden the Trek, I wouldn't have noticed the handling, but now that I've noticed it, I think it'll bother me. The bike store clerk said the handling was different on the Trek FX and this one because of something about the type of stem. This bike with FX handling I think would be perfect.

Kona Dew Deluxe size 49 (not a women's bike). This seemed ok. I found myself scooting back on the seat - something I use to always find when I biked in the past. Again, didn't like the straight handlebar. The shop said they could put something different on (for extra $$ of course) and this shop seems to have very good mechanics.

Kona Dr. Good - size 53, also not a women's bike. I liked the handlebars and the way it handled but think the bike was too big. Standing over it with feet flat, I could feel that I was slightly touching the top tube. But testing it I stopped and straddled after braking from a fast speed and didn't land on the top tube. The store didn't have a 49 in stock. Also it's a 7 speed - all the other bikes I tried were 21 speed. The store owner says from the top speed to the bottom it's the same and just missing the smaller gradations. Actually seemed fine on hills, just a bit confusing with a bigger jump to next gear, but I'm sure I would get used to that. But not sure he's right that I'm not doing without even lower gears for hills.

The store with the Konas thinks I will like the Kona Coco, which they have coming in late next week. I'd really like to buy a bike before this weekend. Don't know if I should just pick from the above or wait to try the Coco and the smaller Dr. Good. Also wondering if the Konas not being proportioned for women will eventually bother me.

Another plus of the Konas is the store is a few blocks from me and gives lifetime tuneups if I buy the bike there (and as I said it's my understanding they have the best mechanics in this area).

And finally, I've always wanted a Terry bike and thought they were all thousands of dollars, but I'm seeing a Terry Susan B online for what seems like a great price. Of course, I can't test ride it. I was surprised when I measured my stand over height for this bike I was an 18 or even 20". Taller than I'd thought. But maybe I've been compensating with too small bikes to the reach isn't too far.

I also have been reading about the advantages of 650 instead of 700 wheels for smaller women and the online Terry is the only of these bikes except the Elektra Townie to have wheels smaller than 700. I am 5ft 4in, so not sure if I need the 650 wheels or if that's just for those 5ft 2in and under.

For those that made it through this post - thanks and I'm looking forward to feedback.

Sadie