Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Older women riders?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Any thoughts/comments on women seniors who ride? Special problems, solutions?

What ages are you talking about? I know women that are "old" when they're in their 20's, and women that are young in their late 70's. It's more a matter of fitness and lifestyle, I think. (I'm 61 and as strong and have as much or more endurance than I had when I was in my thirties and raising a child, working and taking care of a home on my own).
    Vertically challenged, but expanding my horizons.

Quote Originally Posted by Raindrop View Post
    (I'm 61 and as strong and have as much or more endurance than I had when I was in my thirties and raising a child, working and taking care of a home on my own).
    I hope i can say that in 30+ years when I'm your age....

and +1 on keeping fit and having a positive attitude/healthy lifestyle
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 08-25-2014 at 08:57 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

I have friends (men and women) who are over 70 and they ride several days a week, and faster than me.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

+1 to what Raindrop said.

I'm 63 and don't have any special needs related to age. The only thing that might be different is a slightly greater need for recovery time. Other than that, nothing. How strong I am is related to how hard I work on fitness, same as it's always been.

I will echo what others have said. At 51, I am stronger and have more stamina than I did in my twenties, and I frequently ride with older, stronger women as well. It does seem that my sitting bits are more delicate as my hormone levels change with age, however, and I have become more paranoid about stray aches and pains, having had first hand experience with referred pain from a herniated disc( seriously wish I'd known that pain in my hip meant a disc was about to blow...).

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

I'm almost 61 and I don't consider myself old. I am in great shape, strong, weigh the same as I did at 25. I do need more stretching and recovery, and speed is not as important to me.
    I've dealt with the 2 issues Laurelmore mentions, but, I keep going.
    I am younger than most of the people in my riding group, who do little things like run the Boston Marathon, ride 200 miles a week, Gran Fondos, gravel grinders, on and on and on. I'm a slouch compared to some of them.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I wish I could retire early...anyway. I celebrated 55 this past winter....bike riding http://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com/...f-becoming-55/

I seem to have to eat a slightly bigger breakfast nowadays. I seem to need to simply eat abit more frequently during 4-5 hr. long ride. Other than that...I would say I'm tougher now just to cycle down to -24 degrees C in winter which I never did 20 years ago.

Introduce yourself smile... this question has been asked and answered here over the past..um 8 yrs. At least once a year in some iteration.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 08-26-2014 at 03:55 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Thanks for the info! I started riding at 61 and have been riding about a year. I ride with my husband and have never ridden with any other women - we live in a rural area of PA and it seems that I only see guys riding. I am averaging 40-50 miles a week on a hybrid with flat pedals. I don't ride clipped in as both hips are artificial as well as one knee - I started riding to try to get the knee back in shape - and will stick with flat pedals as a fall for me would be much more serious than for those with their own parts. I'm on a Cite-X saddle from Terry and wondered if my delicates were going numb from age - estrogen is LONG gone - or if all women experience the problem. Thanks, Laurelmore. Would love to hear any other comments!

The saddle problem is exacerbated by age, but also younger women can have a lot of trouble finding a saddle that doesn't chafe or numb. There's lots of info here on saddle testing, check it out. And you'll notice many of us have our bikes and saddles in our signatures, that will at least give you a certain idea of which saddles are popular. Personally I swear by a huge cutout.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Awsmile, besides finding a saddle that is right for you (I love the Terry Falcon), I went to my gyn about 10 years ago, when the issue got unbearable. She prescribed an E-string, which is basically a ring that you insert vaginally and keep in for 3 months. It emits .2mg of estrogen, just enough to fix the issue locally, not enough to cause the problems that other meds have caused. You get it refilled every 3 months and change it. Since I've been using it so long, I think any side effects would have come up by now. Not only did it fix the riding issue, it also fixed other "intimate" issues that arise from thinning tissues/lack of estrogen.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Crankin, I recently went to my Doctor, and asked for something similar, and she looked at me like I was crazy! Anyway, switching to a recumbent bike has fully taken care of that problem...

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Having the right saddle is very important. Check this section of the forum for saddle info:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72
    Last edited by PamNY; 08-28-2014 at 07:11 AM.

Laurelmore, find a new doctor.
    One that understands the needs of active, older women. Unfortunately, my doc got a divorce and moved to PA. Not sure where I will go in the fall.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Thanks, lph! The Lady Gel Flow looks like it would be great. Thank you for the tip - I am so new to this sport that I'm not familiar with all the brands. Thanks!