Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Social rides- what to wear?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all,

I'm geting more into social rides that go about 15-25 miles at a decent pace (it all depends on the other riders). This distance can still push me but isn't exhaustive. Things do get sweaty as it is Texas. With it being a social ride, "gearing up" is overkill as most do not, rather wear shorts and a t shirt. One girl wore jean shorts and I was in awe as to how she did it, later to find out she was wearing chamois panties.

I do not want to be the dorky one in overly dressed in bike gear, but still want my lady parts to be happy...

What do you suggest wearing (specific brands please)! Also, any tips are helpful!
    "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, quite so worthwhile as simply messing about on bicycles.” -Tom Kunich

Novara makes a sport panty with a light weight chamois which is comfortable to me for shorter rides. Or how about a riding skort or your regular bike shorts under a short skirt.

Personally I think that for me "gearing out is part of the ride. I wear a jersey because it has three pockets in the back so that I can carry: pocket 1, cell phone, pocket 2 a ziplock containing chamois butter packets, a shot jar of pickle juice for cramps to which I am prone, a bar of gel blocks and a gu pack, pocket 3, my bike wallet with id, med info and a couple of dollar bills plus a five for emergency water of tire repair and my house keys. with this and two bottles, one of water and one of electrolyte I can go up to about 60 miles., which is about the most I will ride unsupported or without a store stop to replenish.

As for the lycra look- like a helmet and gloves, lycra has its purpose, it slides more easily across the pavement if you fall, it wicks fast and easily and for me it is part of the riding mind set.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Bike shorts are not optional for me for anything more than a few miles. You can wear whatever your usual brand is under baggy shorts or a skirt if you must, but I would put comfort above other considerations. Wear a t-shirt if that will make you feel more like part of the group. A t-shirt and bike shorts should not look too "geared up."

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

Mountain bike shorts. With a running shirt.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Terry and Skirt Sports both have nice cycling skorts, available through TE.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Giro has come up with a line of cycling clothes that doesn't scream cycling. TE carries it: http://www.teamestrogen.com/giro/pro...0-b100350.html
    I have seen the crew in a store and it looked really nice; the ride overshoots also look nice. I am guessing you can pair them with cycling shorts underneath.

Terry makes liner shorts with a good chamois (IMO, of course). If I'm looking to be low-key on a ride, I'll wear these under casual shorts and an ultralight wool t-shirt.

I'd wear either liner shorts under baggies or a skort. Like Marni, I use my jerseys for storage, but if you don't need to, any wicking t shirt or wool t shirt works. I have a couple of Sugoi polo type cycling jerseys that have just one zippered pocket and with a skort, look pretty cool. I also love my Terry metro shorts (long), but they are a little warm for your climate.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Thank you! Looks like I have some shopping to do! I think I'll get a pair of mtn bike shorts and a skirt. I like the idea of everything being multi purpose.
    "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, quite so worthwhile as simply messing about on bicycles.” -Tom Kunich

Oh! I was wondering what a wool t-shirt is? It sounds really hot. (Can you tell I've lived in the south for too long)

Quote Originally Posted by polly4711 View Post
    Oh! I was wondering what a wool t-shirt is? It sounds really hot. (Can you tell I've lived in the south for too long)
    Like this. Lots of different manufacturers, etc. I live in the South too - DH rides all summer in an Ibex wool jersey. They wick well and don't stink (much).
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Microweight wool is very light, comfortable, and doesn't scream "I'm going to the gym!" the way some synthetic tops can. I live in the humid mid-Atlantic region, and don't find it any warmer than synthetics. I wear my wool shirts everywhere....hiking/riding, the office, traveling....

I wear very light weight merino shirts for hiking all year round.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Hmm... Very intriguing.

This whole thread makes me miss the four seasons!!!

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    A skort and t-shirt. But knowing me, I end up wearing a plain coloured cycling jersey. Definitely a skort which I wore a lot when cycling around in the big European cities.

Or wearing short walking shorts and jersey for me, tones down the cycling image.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.