Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay

To disable ads, please log-in.

I know the street and I think bump outs are a good idea but they don't really work for pedestrians mid-block without a stop sign. So if the city is arguing the pedestrian safety angle, it's not particularly valid. Parking on both sides actually does slow traffic down, but traffic is way too fast on this street. I don't know if it is wide enough for a proper bike lane while retaining the parking. I believe there is a bike-ped commission and a bike-ped coordinator/planner but I don't know how effective they are. That street should really be put on a road diet in my opinion, although that won't happen because it's a long-standing vehicle thoroughfare. Take a look at the NACTO standards and see if any apply. I'll try to do that, too. I'm pretty sure the city has not adopted NACTO, but it's a good place to find best practice examples of bike-ped road design. Does the city have a bike-ped master plan? You know, you have a leading bike-ped planning firm there; perhaps they could provide some pro-bono advice. Sending PM, too.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    I know the street and I think bump outs are a good idea but they don't really work for pedestrians mid-block without a stop sign. So if the city is arguing the pedestrian safety angle, it's not particularly valid. Parking on both sides actually does slow traffic down, but traffic is way too fast on this street. I don't know if it is wide enough for a proper bike lane while retaining the parking. I believe there is a bike-ped commission and a bike-ped coordinator/planner but I don't know how effective they are. That street should really be put on a road diet in my opinion, although that won't happen because it's a long-standing vehicle thoroughfare. Take a look at the NACTO standards and see if any apply. I'll try to do that, too. I'm pretty sure the city has not adopted NACTO, but it's a good place to find best practice examples of bike-ped road design. Does the city have a bike-ped master plan? You know, you have a leading bike-ped planning firm there; perhaps they could provide some pro-bono advice. Sending PM, too.
    Sent you a PM! There is a Bike-Ped commission and coordinator - who they are not consulting. There is also a Bike Plan - they're ignoring that too. This road design is in direct contradiction to it.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...