Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

First time commuting with a loaded pannier.

To disable ads, please log-in.

I know, intellectually, that when a bike carries more weight, the tire pressure must be increased.

Heck. I even posted a chart a month or two ago listing rider weight against tire width and ideal tire pressure.

Did I increase tire pressure?

Nope. Didn't even consider it. Oops.

Back up. I've four bikes. There is no excuse for not commuting often. I don't live that far, either. The main problem has always been that I need to go home at lunch and feed my dogs, and there is little time. But, hey. Use less petroleum, save energy. Save the planet...blah blah blah blah.

Fast forward. I ordered an Arkel backpack and a nice Transit pannier to use for commuting. Haven't received the backpack, yet, but the pannier arrived in one day (thank you Performance Bike).

I was happy this morning. I left home at exactly the right time--lovely ride, and only had a mile left when my rear wheel started to make intermittant thumping noises.

Thump. Thump. Thump. (You get the picture. Right?).

I didn't. These are wider tires that what are on my road bike, and I didn't hear a loud 'hiss' telling me something had gone wrong. Thought maybe the pannier was hitting the wheel.

Nope. I stopped three times before I finally clued into the fact that I had a flat tire. (oops. Said 'oops' again. And Nope. Sorry to be redundant).

Huh.

Good thing I decided to bring my cell phone with me. I called one of the guys I work with. And he came and picked me up.

In a GIANT diesel truck.

So much for reducing gas use and saving the planet.

Damn.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 08-22-2014 at 05:39 AM.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    ing my cell phone with me. I called one of the guys I work with. And he came and picked me up.

In a GIANT diesel truck.

So much for reducing gas use and saving the planet.

Damn.
    :-D

But the shame will force you to keep bike commuting, even on that rainy day that you know will come, when you really would rather take the car. It all pans out in the end ;-)
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    :-D

But the shame will force you to keep bike commuting, even on that rainy day that you know will come, when you really would rather take the car. It all pans out in the end ;-)
    It was a wonderful ride until everything went to $ht

Anyway. I stand corrected. Just assumed it was the weight. After all, this was a place I ride frequently on my road bike, and it's a pretty clean road in general. But, the culprit was a one inch nail stuck directly in the tread. Gah!!! How many people pick up a nail on their first real day commuting? I have ridden my bike to work before, but didn't load up or do anything special. Humph!!

I'll post a picture of it later.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

I was going to ask, how much stuff did you have in that pannier ? But, since you found the nail, it's a moot point.
    I don't ever change the tire pressure when I put the pannier on my bike. Some days it's pretty heavy and it definitely affects my speed and general handling, but I've never had a flat.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-08-22 11.22.31.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	17340

Yep. Lack of experience lead to an erroneous assumption.

It was only one pannier, and not that heavy. Just couldn't imagine I'd picked up a nail, that's never happened before, and I've ridden my road bike along that route many times.

I used my CAADX cyclocross as a commuter. Very comfy. Can't wait to try it again this week.

Sans sharp objects in my tread.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

We have so many building projects going on around here that there are nails in the street *everywhere*. DH and I have had ~12 flat bike tires in 3 months. I've picked up lots and lots of nails out of the road. I did ask the City to sweep - but I'm not sure they will.

So happy that you're commuting!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...