Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rsvp 2014

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thanks, AppleTree! I much prefer the Lake McMurray route to avoid the climb up Finn Settlement/Lake Cavanaugh Road on Day 1.

Here are our route maps for Day 1 and Day 2, including the alternative route around Lake McMurray, which cuts out several hundred feet of climbing. Day 2 includes the short detour at the end of Barnett Highway.

RSVP Day 1 Route

RSVP Day 2 Route

Jean, although the Seaside bike path was more crowded, it was more scenic and much easier than riding through downtown. I don't think Cascade would ever change the finish since it's practically tradition to end at the Coast Plaza, but depending on the feedback for this year's ride, the Cascade ride organizers may want to consider a more direct route through downtown. I don't know why they don't take advantage of the separated bike lanes (e.g. Hornby) throughout downtown then just have everyone ride up Comox to the Coast Plaza. After celebrating with friends at the Coast Plaza Hotel we've always had to ride with our drop bags to whatever area we're staying. Whether that's in Yaletown or in Chinatown near the Central area, it's always been really easy for us to ride with our bags using Vancouver's separated bike lanes, even after such a long ride.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    There is an easy bike oriented way to turn off from the Seaside path to get onto Hornby that doesn't need to even start from the bottom of the Hornby bike lane hill (though for Seattlers that's probably not a biggie). But using Hornby and onto Comox which is a newer separated bike lane (last 2 years) to get to hotel would be good.

I put it down to... maybe some cyclists just have to update their Vancouver route thinking. It does change because the city adds more cycling infrastructure.

Hornby St. is a popular for bike commuters ...so again long time cyclists might chafe cycling with many other cyclists.. but at least one is not dealing with pedestrians nor dogs in a separated bike lane.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Cap's Cycle is actually in New Westminister, very close to the Central Valley Greenway, a bike route where a lot of it runs through park, lanes and abit on quieter roads go west and into downtown Vancouver. http://www.translink.ca/en/Getting-A...ling-Maps.aspx Go to CVG Map on page. Then from the Central Valley Greenway, we would cross Broadway St. and hook into the Adanac St. bike route which takes one through some quiet older neighbourhoods, some bike mural art, past old historic downtown Chinatown, etc.
    CVG has sections which is hard-packed fine gravel and the rest is paved. Large sections of the CVG never gets too busy on weekends. Which is quite doable with road bikes, if tires aren't very thin/no thread. We have done day long 100 km. round trips between Golden Ears Bridge in Langley and downtown Vancouver. We never cycled back home on the Barnett Highway. We used the CVG and east of that that other paths. We headed out on the Barnett Highway early morning on weekends to get out to Golden Ears Bridge, when car traffic was minimal.

My partner is a long time cycling advocate in Vancouver, he knows (and was involved in working the municipalities) on some of these signed/laned bike routes.

I worked on the capital construction project for the Golden Ears Bridge. Here is are my stories: http://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com/...-i-never-knew/ http://thirdwavecyclingblog.wordpres...ed-work-areas/

Have a good, safe ride. Just tell yourself, there are beautiful quiet areas maybe less than 2-3 streets parallel to the mass group bike ride route!!

****I just looked at this yrs.' route. It is a lot better ..and more scenic into the downtown Vancouver area. No matter what, there will be huge wave of cyclists from Seattle on part of the popular Seaside bike path (that runs under the Burrard Bridge).
    Your correct there is a Caps Cycle in New Westminster, however there are 3 more locations. Port Moody, Port Coquitlam, and Maple Ridge. I believe it's the Port Moody store that assists with RSVP2 riders.
    No pressure No diamonds