Hi ladies,

I've been in the market for my first road bike all summer, and I am really close to making a decision, but I need your help! My initial plan was to buy an aluminium frame endurance geometry bike, preferably with Shimano 105 components. I have ridden the Specialized Dolce Comp, the Trek Lexa SLX, the Cannondale Synapse 5 and the Giant Avail 1. I have decided on the Giant, and have a decent offer from a LBS (1399 tax in). I went to another store on Sunday to ride the Cannondale, and the store carried Giant as well. I asked to ride the Synapse and the Avail 1 to compare them side by side. They didn't have the aluminium avail 1 in stock in my size, so they gave me the Avail 2 composite to try. The Avail 2 is 1899 regular price - out of my budget. The sales guy offered to knock $300 off the price of the Avail 2, bringing it down to 1599 + tax.

My dilemma, now, is that I did like the carbon frame a lot. As this will be my first road bike and my budget is about $1500, I was planning to buy aluminium. I think I would be very happy with the aluminium Avail 1. I find it very comfortable, and it ticks all of my boxes, spec wise.

My question for you ladies, is: is it worth pushing my budget to buy the composite bike now. It is only a little bit more expensive than what I was planning to get, and everyone keeps telling me that I will want a carbon frame in two years anyway. Do you think I will be saving myself an upgrade by buying the better frame now?

-jonesie