Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Lack of interest: cycling races

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yesterday evening, a friend (that I mentioned in another thread) phoned me to chat and mentioned there was a cycling race happening in my neighbourhood at that moment. She didn't know either until she saw roadblocks while driving her mother near my neighbourhood.

Somehow I had no interest in walking out to figure out where the race course was. She emailed me 2 hrs. later with a photo which signalled it was a race that honoured a cycling racer who was killed in car accident (when he was cycling) a few yrs. ago. There about 20-30 guys racing ...from what I could see in the photo. Then I went to bed.

I appreciate the athleticism of bike racing, climbing against the clock, etc. --but somehow I just haven't found enough enthusiasm to watch bike racing regularily nor follow the professional race cycling news. Even the Tour de France I would only catch snippets of it when the tv was on. Dearie watches it like me...when we happen to be around at home and not for the whole race stage.

There are times I wonder if there's something wrong with me since I've lived a cycling lifestyle, transportation-wise and touring oriented, for so long. But then my partner is something like me...only vague, pedestrian interest. And he has done waaaaaay more cycling mileage wise than I have. On top of that, our in-person cycling friends are something like us: dim knowledge of only 2-3 key professional racers, catching a race for half hr. And then we're off to do other stuff in life or end up cycling away for the day.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I don't see that this is a big deal. I do watch races on line or TV when I have nothing else to do. As with other sporting events, I don't sit home and watch them on TV all of the time, as I'd rather be out participating in a sport. But, that said, I do follow what's going on in the cycling/racing world. Actually, pretty closely, through stuff I read on line. Perhaps this is because I've had some personal connection to the amateur/pro racing world through my son and exchange student, and went to several local/New England races during that time. I've occasionally gone to see SheFly race, too. Certain types of races are fun to watch and fun events, too.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

It probably makes a difference to know other people in person who race and they are friends, family like your situation, Crankin.

It doesn't bother me...I just wonder..as a fleeting thought. Like a fly that buzzes around and then flies away.

We have neither personal contacts, that race at all. Not a priority for us. And these are cyclists who have cycled across Canada-U.S. I have a partner who isn't particularily competitive in his nature on bike. He has been competitive in business, but cycling really means challenging himself. Not beating out the other guy. He tells me of cyclists who don't even fit the racing image who pass him. He's delighted to share such stories with anyone.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

My interest went from zero to sometimes paying attention.

Quite a few pros train in Tucson in the winter, and we have met a couple, including Tommy Danielson and Phil Gaimon, from Garmin Sharp. Most of the time it's too hard to actually watch races unless we can get replays on the computer (like tour tracker for Tour of Utah this week or Tour de Frances when we buy the package.

And I'm getting coaching from a pro racer now, so I like to see how she's doing in her races, but just see occasional results online.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Watching races has grown on me. I clearly remember the first time I paid attention to a stage of the Tour de France (a friend wanted to come to my place and watch it ... his TV was broken) and I just did not get why it would be interesting. I understand it better now and it is fun. If I have to workout on the trainer, having a race on the TV or computer makes a big difference in the ease of the workout.

Last year another friend convinced me of participating in races myself. I did it as an experience (not my thing: I ended up viewing road races as opportunities to ride elsewhere... most of the participants could be my daughters!). Tried cyclocross and gravel races, as well. Those are more fun.

I don't really care either, although when I was working at a bike shop, I sort-of paid attention to the pros so I could actually participate in conversation with customers. I do have former co-workers/friends who participate in local races (well, back-in-Ohio local), so I always ask or check to see how they did. Nothing beyond that, though.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I've been watching the Tour de France since 1986, when ABC Sports had one hour of coverage on Saturday. I really enjoy it. YMMV.

I love going to watch local races when I know a lot of the field...but to watch TdF...could not care less, in large part because of the scandals and chronic EPOing. When it was running this year it is all my MIL would talk about. At one point she started yakking to me about the race and I told her point-blank that I never watch it, don't know who half the names of cyclists are, and why I don't watch -- and she kept on yammering. Seriously?! The woman loves to name-drop. I just roll my eyes.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Which begs another question I ask myself, would I watch the female equivalent of Tour de France?

I didn't even watch the last few Summer Olympics Games. I haven't had a tv for past few years. Even before I was watching maybe 4 hrs. of tv in total weekly. Sometimes a lot less. I don't subscribe to pro cycling race news feeds. I have avoided subscribing to twitter feeds on anything I don't have facebook. I think I know there is a news blog for women' pro cycling races.

It would take some aggressive marketing for such an international race to penetrate into awareness for national-local audiences world-wide. Not to say, I wouldn't be interested but then I have to make the effort to find the info., create an online alert for myself when to watch, yaddyaddda..

There is a reason why I seem to wall myself slightly (I'm still in blogosphere..that's my social media): I like to declutter my brain from automatic bombardment of electronic alerts vying for my attention...less stress. Mind is at peace. I focus on the now, loved ones, and present future for stuff that happens live in before me.

I like participating in cycling itself. And still read non-racing stuff on cycling. But I pursue other personal interests outside of cycling also. Important for my own overall learning and enjoyment of other stuff for balance.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 08-11-2014 at 10:23 AM.

The whole race thing is always funny. If you tell someone you ski, they don't automatically assume you ski race, but I find when I tell someone I enjoy biking they seem to assume I enjoy racing - two different things in my mind. My current favorite ball cap is from Surly and it says "Racing Sucks". Owning a bike store, I am constantly explaining to people that our store is not race bike oriented. I have moved beyond the need to defend so often times I will just smile, nod my head and walk away.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    Owning a bike store, I am constantly explaining to people that our store is not race bike oriented. I have moved beyond the need to defend so often times I will just smile, nod my head and walk away.
    I guess the proof in the pudding, would be the type of bikes you sell and how your web site looks. It's a tough one..because some of the money is in the racing oriented bikes. In some big cities, methinks some of the bike retailers have had to make some clear choices on the volume and diversity of inventory on hand.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 08-13-2014 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    The whole race thing is always funny. If you tell someone you ski, they don't automatically assume you ski race, but I find when I tell someone I enjoy biking they seem to assume I enjoy racing - two different things in my mind. My current favorite ball cap is from Surly and it says "Racing Sucks". Owning a bike store, I am constantly explaining to people that our store is not race bike oriented. I have moved beyond the need to defend so often times I will just smile, nod my head and walk away.
    I think that in the minds of many people, road bike or drop bars=race bike. When I worked at a bike shop, I often came across people who, after talking to them about what kind of riding they wanted to do, would probably benefit from a road or CX bike (when we started stocking them), but when I'd walk them over to the road/CX section, would go "Oh no! I don't want a racing bike!" I suppose that was sort of the fault of The Powers that Be who put all the bikes with drop bars in the same set of racks.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Not into the competiveness of personally or watching racing but I’ve watched the TDF over the years to see aerial views of some of my favorite French riding routes and areas and the Amgen tour of Ca. for aerial views of some of my routes here. Well, that and watching the dvr’d more gruelling sections of some of the climbing stages on a weekend morning to help inspire me for my climbing that day…..
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Industry magazine covers are the worst for projecting what a bike rider looks like - glance at the covers - 99 % of the time they depict a person standing up on their uber fancy bike all decked out in the latest kit. Cracks me up. Yes we all can do our best to promote Riding Your Bike - I love the slogan Transport Not Sport but someone else owns that one
    Go be happy with what ever bike style you enjoy. (If you are a racer - that's okay too )
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/