Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

And the winner is .....

To disable ads, please log-in.

The winner of the urban bike design contest is Seattle's Denny. I dunno, I don't want one. How about the rest of the group, what say you?

http://www.wimp.com/futurebike/

More bikes more better so yes, I appreciate the thought and design and I do see some teeny tiny bit of room for improvement. 1) handlebars need to be light, locks sturdy. The bar/lock combination results is either a heavy, unstable bar and or a light lock. 2) If you're unclipping/clipping the bar to lock and unlock the bike several times a day how unstable will the bars be in how long? 3) Brakes are near the stem. Instead of braking from the bars/brifters on the bars you're at the stem which is the least stable position 4) Nice that there's a front rack. With the load on the front the rider a) has a blocked view of hazards on the road such as potholes, debris, tracks and b) is front heavy. 5) There is no way to attach a rear rack or even panniers. 6) The fender brush idea thingie creates drag which a) slows the bike b) creates wear on the tires. 7) This is designed in Seattle so I assume the designers ride in the rain? Ya ever noticed how the best fenders curve around the tire? Why is that? Well schmuts, dirt, mud gets all over the tire, spokes and not JUST on the bead which is the only thing being brushed off. So no thank you to this in the rain as it will leave me with a skunk strips. 8) Fit. I'm under 5" and don't imagine it will fit. 9) There is not stock anything on this bike. So if I break a spoke, need new bars, headset whatnot I can not go to my LBS. I'll need to go to the one and only place I can get replacement parts. 10) Speaking of which I may need non standard headset, seatpost, bars to make this fit. Back to the non standard anything issue. This is a $10,000 Walmart bike. That is non replaceable parts. 11) Back to price; for the price I could have 5 (five) more of my Salsa Vaya with front AND rear racks, lights, Brooks saddle, simply awesome groupo, panniers, disk brakes, water bottle cages (oooh, #12) where are the bottle cages???) and freaking gorgeous to boot.
    Last edited by Trek420; 08-08-2014 at 12:58 PM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

It's a big "No, thank you" from me.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    It's a big "No, thank you" from me.
    Ya think?
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Some interesting design elements....for photos of some of the other entries and design ideas and for the videos of the other entries

the Bike Design Project is an interesting collaboration....
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 08-08-2014 at 10:30 AM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

I really like the idea of the handle bars that come apart to make a lock, but yeah, not so interested in the rest of it. The designers have said that the bike isn't really intended for people who are already into biking...

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Like a concept car isn't really for driving, and goofy runway fashion show outfits are not meant to be clothes that normal people wear, that bike looks like an exercise in design.

Not sure why it is funded for actual production, but if it gets fashionable people out of their cars, I'm ok with it existing out there. I still don't want one.

Quote Originally Posted by lauraelmore1033 View Post
    The designers have said that the bike isn't really intended for people who are already into biking...
    If it gets people riding that's good. But will the faults in design keep them from continuing?

Seriously; a perfect city bike? How about http://bendvelo.com/J_Livingston_Bikes

Repurposed classic steel frame bikes most with: chain guard, kickstand, fenders, racks, custom paint, upright fit and .... about $700.
    Last edited by Trek420; 08-08-2014 at 01:01 PM.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    If it gets people riding that's good. But will the faults in design keep them from continuing?

Seriously; a perfect city bike? How about http://bendvelo.com/J_Livingston_Bikes

Repurposed classic steel frame bikes most with: chain guard, kickstand, fenders, racks, custom paint, upright fit and .... about $700.
    That is a seriously cool idea! From a seriously cool city...

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    If they can get over how they got sucked in by the surface appeal, they can sell that fancy designer POS on Craigslist and buy a real bike! (or 2 or 3 or 5)

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Well, I didn't see how much it was, but a bike like that could appeal as alternative transportation for someone who wouldn't normally ride. The fenders make in less unwieldily, disc brakes for rain, good lights and electrical assist (and electricity generation?).

We need fewer cars, it's sustainable--though I don't know how sustainable the build sourcing and process is compared to 'regular ' bikes. A life-cycle analysis of that process wouldn't be difficult. Shrug. I like it.
    I couldn't find a price anywhere either....

It’s good to see some excellent custom steel bike builders in cycling centric cities collaborating with strong design firms in this project. The Bike Design Project’s design criteria for this project, especially the mandatory features, is an interesting view into the design and engineering of an urban bike. Oregon Manifest has had some other very interesting urban bike oriented design challenges/projects during at least the last 5 years that i know of. Lots of creativity coming out of their projects!!

Some of the teams have journal dairies of this design and build process on the respective bike builders/design firm websites.
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 08-09-2014 at 10:17 AM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron