Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

first time building bike! any suggestions?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello all!
    It has been quite a while since I have been active here, and I am excited to be back!

I am happy to announce that I am going to order a new Bianchi San Jose frameset tomorrow and build up my bike from there. I have never really chosen all of my components/design a bike befkre... I am both kind of scared. I do have the help of my husband and LBS, but inthe end I do know that esthetics (color of chain, front rank, etc) and function (what type of handle bars, etc) are up to me.

How did you guys figure out the look of your bikes and narrow down choices?
    Do you have any bits of advice?

Thanks! So happy to be back!

EDIT: there isalso this same model on ebay. It's an older version, but I like the color better. It also has components on it so at least I could begin riding while changing stuff up. It has some scratches on the top tube. Would you get the new one or ebay? Most likely, there wont be a big price difference...
    Last edited by polly4711; 08-06-2014 at 08:33 PM.
    "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, quite so worthwhile as simply messing about on bicycles. -Tom Kunich

Research, research and more research
    Look up custom builds similar to what you want and see what parts others tend to use. Look up reviews for those parts and see if you like what you find out. Make sure you read up on different standards for parts and check if the new parts will match what you already have on your bike. And don't hesitate to ask if you aren't 100% sure about something.

It does take more time that way, but I assure you - hand-picking parts for your own bike is incredibly rewarding and it will truly feel like your very own bike once you are done. Good luck and do share with us once the build is ready!

After spending many many many hours at the bike shop, everything has been selected (except the stem for obvious reasons)!!!!
    I have spent several days asking questions, doing my own research, learning terminology, why do I like a bike thatbrides which way vs that way. Simply put: my local bike shop is the best and it's refreshing to have someone guiide and teach their customers ahout what goes into bikes. To make this even better, two of the people working in the shop are going to come in to the store on Sunday BEFORE they open to build my bike and I get to help/learn/watch!

So, what did I end up with?

A 55cm black Gitane City Link. They are no longer making the bianchi san jose and my frame size cannot be found. Gitanes are produced byBianchi and they are the same frame, different paint job. My wheels are from a Surly Cross Check with different 35 mm tires. Black All City front crank, crank arms, and bash guard. A shimano 105 bottom bracket (supplied from LBS). Black chain. Seat post is a Jamis from the stock parts bin. Brooks saddle. Albatross handle bars. Lilac brake cables with black mini v brakes. >> > I'm sure I'm forgetting something!

And IT'S MINE ON SUNDAY! Pictures will be posted!
    "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, quite so worthwhile as simply messing about on bicycles. -Tom Kunich