Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

angst filled post removed

To disable ads, please log-in.

just incoherent rambling so its been deleted.
    Last edited by smilingcat; 08-06-2014 at 06:44 AM. Reason: late night posting is a bad thing. REMOVED

Darn! I was looking forward to a mental challenge tonight. Hope you figure it out!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Pity, I read the original post and was looking forward to hear updates :-) It's not every day somebody I "know" turns into a farmer! Good luck, smilingcat.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

You might want to read up on this. Some people I know, she's an artist and the writing about the farm experience may help you:

http://paulsproduce.me/
    Last edited by Trek420; 08-08-2014 at 12:52 PM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I get into whole lot of trouble when I think. Thinking makes me have these angst...

I think of Robin Williams and his tragic end. I think of young 18 year old son of an executive secretary at work who ended his life...

My life is a bowl of cherries I guess. We have had string of plain dumb luck with our farm purchase. The field has excellent wind break from the north and east. Great southern exposure. Relatively flat. Went on USDA web site to determine the soil condition and was rated excellent for crop: loamy soil down to 60" on majority and rest was rated at loamy down to 18" with great drainage. Loamy soil is what you want in farming not sandy and not clay and not rocky. We have also had a dumb fortune of being located just outside of water restricted area for well drilling. It means that we passed the first major hurdle for drilling for water well. Farmer "next" door has a well and it goes down 400 feet. Not great but not bad at all considering places in California, they are drilling over 1000 feet deep.

Another good fortune today was I was asked if I would be interested in raising meat chicken for them. They provide the chicks and feed. I raise them to their desired weight and deliver it to the small scale chicken processor. This odd setup is to get around some USDA regulation concerning processed poultry. If it were MY chicken then I need to have the facility inspected and processing of chicken inspected... But since the chicken in my care are not mine and belongs to the consumer, he doesn't need all the inspection... Well sort of. It's much easier with this odd set up. I told him i would consider it. What's another 50 meat chicken... Within two weeks, we'll have nearly 50 live chicken just for us at our house and not at the farm. Oops we can't count very well. City where my house is located, city dwellers are allowed 3 chicken and anything more requires a permit which we don't have... I don't know that either... Ignornace can be bliss.
    Advertising and marketing? I think I'll let my partner handle that...

Today, I ordered from Amazon, a wheel tape measuring device. A device to measure distance by rolling a wheel on the ground. This is so that I can walk end to end from one side to the other side of my property many times over. Property is over 600 feet on the side square. Divide my 10 acre (4 hectare roughly) into smaller manageable plots. Gosh Amazon has become a goto General store of the 21st century. You can buy food, cloth, shoes, tools, sporting good stuff, farm stuff and I think you can even buy some naughty stuff too. Well may be not. General stores didn't have naughty stuff.

So I'm bit procrastanating. Figuring out a planting schedule and how much to plant is a shot in the dark... GORK!!

I think I'll veg out by watching 12 chicks we picked up the other day. Very cute. I'll just kick my angst down the street for few more days...

Quote Originally Posted by smilingcat View Post
    Today, I ordered from Amazon, a wheel tape measuring device. A device to measure distance by rolling a wheel on the ground. This is so that I can walk end to end from one side to the other side of my property many times over. Property is over 600 feet on the side square. Divide my 10 acre (4 hectare roughly) into smaller manageable plots. Gosh Amazon has become a goto General store of the 21st century. You can buy food, cloth, shoes, tools, sporting good stuff, farm stuff and I think you can even buy some naughty stuff too. Well may be not. General stores didn't have naughty stuff.
    Lol.. the more things change the more they stay the same. Amazon is the new Sears and Roebucks catalogue. Farm families used to be able to order everything from seed to clothes to cars - but then again, you can't use Amazon as tp if you run out…
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Smilingcat, this is fascinating. Please keep posting :-)
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

You cracked me up with the bit about Amazon. They are also my go to store. It's worth it for me to be a Prime member.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse