Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have used CEP compression recovery socks (don't remember the exact name) and they were only OK. They make my feet hot, so I can only stand to wear them in the winter. I have a pair of compression 'socks' from Walgreens that have the same pressure level as my Zoot tights and they work well for calf recovery. They do have compression around the midfoot, but it's not super tight. The heel and toes are open though, so they are not as 'sweaty' for me as full socks.

My Zoot RX recovery tights are the best, by far. I had a pair I bought back in 2010 and they worked but they were so 1) hard to get on 2)uncomfortable and 3)poorly fitting, that I found myself finding excuses to not wear them. On the recommendation of Susan Otcenas, I bought the newer version. Wow, what a difference! Zoot really made some improvements. The foot band no longer kills my feet (Crankin - you should try on a pair of the newer ones!), the waist is no longer too low rise to stay up, and I swear that overall, they are easier to get on. That could be because I've lost some weight, but the newer tights just seem stretchier than the old ones. I love them for recovery. I wear then for travel after long runs, races or rides (why do I always seem to have a full day of travel the day after a hard effort??) and they make a world of difference vs doing nothing.

I cannot sleep in them (they make my RLS worse) but if I can get in a few hours of wearing immediately after a workout and then wear them for 'day-after' travel, I'm good.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Just read your comment to DH.
    GLC, how can I make sure I am buying the new version?
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Just read your comment to DH.
    GLC, how can I make sure I am buying the new version?
    I'm not sure. They look very similar but there is a clear difference when they are side by side. I know that TE only carries the new version, so you could order directly from them.

My thinking on tights is: I would typically be putting them on after a ride, which means I'm probably changing clothes in a heavily-used public restroom (gas station, convenience store, fast food place). So I'm trying really hard not to let my clothes touch the filthy floor, and there are probably people waiting to use the restroom after me so I need to move fast. This is not a good situation for putting on very-tight tights.

With socks, I can just sit in my car while putting them on.

Are you guys typically at home when you change into the tights post-workout?

p.s. I had a long chat about compression socks with my trainer last night. He mentioned that Nike also sells them and he thought they might be less expensive than the other brands. There happens to be a Nike store near the gym so I stopped in to have a look-see on my way home. They're the same price range as the other brands I've already investigated and there's no mmHg information available for them. So I didn't buy them. I'm still planning to buy the Zoot socks, hopefully I'll have time to place the order tonight.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I actually don't put mine on until I've showered. It's rare that I'm in a situation where I can't get cleaned up and into the tights within an hour of my ride/race. I do remember two situations where I put them on in the car at a tri because I still had some waiting to do for friends who were racing a longer distance than me. I pulled on a skirt, pulled off my tri shorts, and then pulled the tights up on under the skirt (and walked around in the skirt and the tights until we drove home). It worked out fine.

I can't even imagine trying to struggle into those suckers in a public bathroom stall!

If I'm putting them on after a race, I'll just put the thigh-highs on over whatever I'm wearing, even if it's tights. Just sit on the grass or a park bench.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

FWIW, I just saw an ad for these socks that advertise a wide toe box. Altra shoes are definitely wider than they used to be, in fact they have two shoes on one last that I can actually wear. Woot! So I would expect their socks to be made for the same shape feet.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Well I bought the 2XU recovery socks and have been wearing them for an hour and 15 minutes. The mid-foot elastic is driving me nuts as expected. And my feet are freezing, because my socks are too tight!! I'm wearing shearling-lined slippers and I still feel like I have ice blocks at the ends of my legs.

Otherwise they're comfortable enough. I will try wearing them a few times. If I can stand them and they help with the fluid retention I will keep them.
    You did not choose the compression level that suits you. Compression socks that are too tight or too loose are not conducive to play its role, and will make you feel uncomfortable. Generally speaking, 15-25mmg compression is suitable for preventing and reducing mild leg and foot swelling. It is wise to consult the doctor before deciding on the degree of compression.
    https://www.gearhunder.com/best-comp...socks-for-men/