Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: august rides

august rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

Saturday, since Texas and or Houston were in the midst of a "cold spell" (at least that was what everybody was calling it) I did a brisk 40 mile ride out of Sealy, Texas in 75 degree, cloudy weather with the humidity at about 60%. There were some rollers and a bit of wind which made a nice change.

Today I did an early 36 miles in 90 degree mixed sun and clouds and a bit of a breeze. On my usual training route which is flat except for a couple of very small swells. The temperature was 91 and the humidity was 66% and I was melting. What a contrast. I am really looking forward to fall.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

D'oh -- I've posted my last few rides in the July thread...one month just blends into another, I guess!

Today was a much-needed day off after a toughish ride yesterday and a terrible night of sleep. One of those nights when the brain just doesn't want to turn off, and my nighttime coughing (due to asthma) was happening. Finally had to get up and use my inhaler, which just made it harder to sleep. There's a lot of dust in the air recently from the wheat harvest, so I am thinking that's what triggered the wheezing (which leads to coughing at night).
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I was going to start this the other day then got distracted.

I truly enjoyed Saturday's climb up Mt. Lemmon. It was my longest climb of the season- I made it to the Windy Point Vista at mile 14, and about 4100 feet of climbing from the car. There was a threat of rain all morning, but the overcast sky and a bit of a tail wind made the last couple miles less of a challenge. I would have gone further but my husband was tired from riding intervals up and down the mountain and I barely got him to do the last couple of miles. It never seriously rained- just a bit of drizzle and some breezy spots.

Did a solo ride on Sunday to Saguaro NP and back, plus the 8 mile loop, but on my Surly. Definitely slower, but I'm trying to work out anything else I need to figure out before we do another bike-camping expedition this fall.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Congratulations azfiddle -- after driving up Mt. Lemmon, I know what a climb that is. Daunting! I wish I'd been a bit better trained when we were Tucson in Feb. so we could have tried it. After riding on coastal flat roads in Dec. and January, when weather permitted, I just wasn't ready to attempt something like Mt. Lemmon. We did ride the Sagauro NP East loop a couple of times towards the end of the month (fun except the one long climb midway in) and Pistol Hill a couple of times as well. But neither of them is a mountain.
    Emily

I also posted my last ride in the July thread. Duh.
    I led a ride tonight. Actually, I was the sweep. I never have been on an AMC night time ride. The Tuesday series is the "slower" one, and usually I wouldn't do it, because 1) there can be some very inexperienced riders, especially early in the season, and 2) usually, I'm working until 6. But, my friend (the one who always gets lost) was leading, it started from his house, which is is in the next town, and I was done with work at 2:00.
    Only 16 miles and not as slow as I thought. There was still a lot of traffic as we headed out from his house in Bedford, but we soon got into quieter country. Even a very tiny stretch of dirt in a neighborhood I've ridden through. It was really nice out, although solar glare in some spots, and other spots really shady and dark. At the end, the 2 people in front of me missed a turn, into an office park. I reeled them in, and then we got a bit lost. My GPS was telling me the right way, but these people weren't believing me. Finally, we got on the right track, I knew we were almost back, but it was getting dark and they did not have lights. Worst of all, these 2 are leaders, and they were so slow, I could have been back at Jack's in 2 minutes, but they were just like, socializing, and struggling up little inclines. But, I waited, they finally got it, that I was correct in my directions, and they thanked me. All I could think about is that the guy is someone my very close friend used to lead with in the early 90's and he was known for "naked hot tub parties," on weekend trips. I guessed he must have burned himself out! Had a glass of wine when I got back to Jack's and then went home and ate.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Now I know why I don't ride at 6 PM... I had a lot of trouble falling asleep last night! I remember this from when i first started going to the gym in the 80s.
    Anyway, I rode with Jack today and my body was telling me, "no." Good thing, his was, too, but for him, it just means less miles. He rides everyday, unless it rains and one day a week, he just rides to the senior center to play pool, 6 miles. Of course, when I just ride my 5.2 mile commute, I generally feel like I've ridden, although it varies. He met me at the bottom of my street (his comment is that my driveway is "hors category") and told me we were not doing the 35 mile ride we had discussed. All in all, just familiar streets through Carlisle and Chelmsford, although a couple of them, I've only been on with him or in a group. We actually got on the bike path for a bit, too. It started out partly sunny and humid, but near the end, it was cloudy and there was a nice breeze. We did stop at Ferns for coffee, sat on the porch, and gossiped about the people on the ride last night. We parted after the coffee and I rode the 7 miles home, rather speedily.
    23 miles, exactly, I am glad I did it, but I've had a headache all day, I think from some neck and shoulder issues that started on Monday after I used a heavier bar to lift at boot camp.
    Going to the gym tomorrow and I am resting on Friday, for sure. I haven't had a total rest day in about 10 days.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

So is "Bedford" pronounced "Bedfid"? I know someone whose family is from Medford ("Medfid"), MA, so I would expect that Bedford is similar.

I rode 20 miles last night. Due to rain in the forecast today, I moved my Wednesday night hill ride up a day. I made a slight route modification to add a big new hill at the very beginning, which kept my overall average down. It was a good workout, which I needed since I was out of town this past weekend so I didn't ride at all, and I've got some big rides coming up later this month.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Ha, ha. Well, a townie (old timer, family been around for years) might pronounce it "Bedfid," but I can assure you that SheFly (who lives there) and my friend Jack, who also lives there, do not! And, my son lives in Medford and says, well, Medford. Some of the older people there actually say "Meffa,"
    When i was a kid, I talked that way, but 23 years away, cured me quite quickly. Around where I live, very few people have a Boston accent. When I first moved back here, I lived a bit north of here, near Lowell, and the accents were very strong. I once had one of my kid's teacher write a note talking about the drawer, spelled "draw." That's how she said it, and I guess getting a master's degree didn't teach her any differently.
    The only time my accent comes out is when I get angry; when I yelled at my kids they would make fun of me. It's still not natural for me to say "r's" but I don't ever slip up.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

My friend does not have an accent, he just pronounces it Medfid because that's how his older relatives pronounce it. I will tell him the times, they are a-changin'.

Last night on my way home after my bike ride I stopped to get gas for the car. I noticed that the car at the pump in front of me had a license plate frame with "Manhattan" on it. The driver of that car noticed the "NY" in my personalized plate and asked where I was from. He's from Manhattan, born in Chelsea, drives a limo back and forth from NY to DC. Jets/Yankees fan. Awesome NY accent, better than I've heard in a long time.

My accent has largely faded, but I will always pronounce "orange" and "Florida" the NY way.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Yes, that's generally the northeast way. I say those words in Standard American Speech now; wow, the cycling thread has gone way off topic.
    I say Arizona "Air-i-zona," as this is how natives and people from the midwest say it. People here look at me weirdly when they ask me where I moved here from, but, that one has stuck. Last night, on my ride, I heard two of the guys who were most assuredly not Arizona types, discussing the merits of living in the Valley, the heat, etc. I decided not to chime in. They sounded like tourists to me, and one ended up riding in the back, with me as the sweep, but I didn't say anything. It was funny for me to hear this discussion.
    Back to the cycling thread.
    Last edited by Crankin; 08-06-2014 at 03:53 PM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

todays' 50 miles started at 81 degrees and finished at 92 but the humidity feels like was 104. thank goodness for every little puff of wind and bit of occasional cloud cover.so much for the Texas "cold front."
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

On Sunday, DH and I did the Ride the Hurricane event http://www.portangeles.org/pages/RideTheHurricane/ --an opportunity to ride up Hurricane Ridge without cars. I had ridden up the ridge a week previous, but he had never ridden it. Even with cars it is a spectacular ride, but the actual event was So Much Fun! You realize how much room cars take up, how much noise they make, and how much of your riding brain is taken up with being attentive to cars. I was able to look around way more than the other time I rode it, and was more relaxed (as much as one can be relaxed while riding up a mountain...) I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye out for more car-free events, as it was a blast.

Since it takes a while to get to Hurricane Ridge, it was also really nice to ride it together, as last time, when I went solo, I missed having someone to talk about the ride with on the way back. This time, I had a great drive home, spending a couple hours essentially going back and forth with DH over and over "that was so much fun! Yeah! Oh my gosh, that was so much fun!"

Today was a welcome 15 miles of taking the long way to a work meeting and back--otherwise, it's a few days of prepping, then painting our front and back porches. A work out, and kinda satisfying, but not as much fun as being on the bike.
    1980-something Colnago
    2010 Jamis Quest
    2013 Wabi Classic

mebikedolomitesoneday.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I say Arizona "Air-i-zona," as this is how natives and people from the midwest say it.
    Heheh, what other way is there to say it? I'm a southerner married to a midwesterner and have only heard it pronounced Air-i-zona!

Today's ride was WINDY! But humidity was low, temps were very reasonable (low 70s at start, mid-80s at end). Rode 46 miles, the first third of which were into the wind and kinda tough, but it got better from there. LOVELY tailwind on the last 1/3, which is always the best way to end a ride, dontcha think? Makes me feel like queen of the road, and the early tough parts are long forgotten. Average speed suffered overall, but that's not what I'm about anyway.

Happy not to have any flats today, either DH or me. It's goathead season and tire liners are on order. We've gone through a lot of tubes lately.
    Emily

When I'm in the mood for demanding rides, I climb a nearby mountain. I usually do a road climb (10 kms of road, 1100 m elevation gain), but this time I decided it was time to tackle the climb via a singletrack path in the woods. It is much steeper than the road and the route is much more direct - only 5.5 kms, but the average grade is 10.6%. I was very pleased for the first time with 80 minutes it took for me to climb all the way up.

And SPD just keeps proving its worth on the climbs. I was able to climb up steep sections covered in roots that I never would have guessed were doable.

I'm sure it doesn't sound like much to the more seasoned riders around here, but having gone from zero workout in years to riding seriously just four months ago, I keep being amazed at my progress. And I'm pretty sure I'm hooked on this amazing sport for good

good week

50 miles yesterday at 14.9 mph and temps in the high 80's. 38 miles today at 95 = and a5.9. The heat is making me strong. or I am so miserable that I am riding faster just to get out of it! And lets not even mention the sweat rings all over the garage and the humidity.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"