Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Boulder, Co 1st time visit - rides, food, hikes, etc?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Am heading out to explore Boulder for the first time. Been on my to-do list for a bit. Looking for recommendations for food, bike routes (max 30-35m w/ rollers), hikes, other must see things or must do things. Only a short long weekend hop though so short on time.

I heard that the route out to Jamestown is nice and the Neva Road loop is also nice. Any other recommendations? Also where to rent a bike that's friendly for our sizing and geo? It looks like Boulder Sport and University might be best for rentals?

Any help or directions are appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
    Push the pedal down watch the world around fly by us

I went to Boulder about 12 years ago, at a time when I was still riding around on a mountain bike with skinny tires. It was easy to rent a bike and I think I rented one from Performance. DS and DH were riding up the canyons, but I rode on the extensive network of trails through the city and out into the foothills, as well as a little bit on the roads. I've never been to any city that had the extensive type of trail network that Boulder has and it was perfect for me, at that stage of my riding.
    DS was in a race (a well known one, can't remember the name), got second place, and they were apparently pissed an outsider got on the podium. They never sent him his prize...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by roguedog View Post

I heard that the route out to Jamestown is nice and the Neva Road loop is also nice. Any other recommendations? Also where to rent a bike that's friendly for our sizing and geo? It looks like Boulder Sport and University might be best for rentals?

Any help or directions are appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
    Check with a local that the Jamestown road is ride-able- they suffered considerable damage during last year's floods. Hiking -- try any of the Flatirons trails behind NCAR - see this link. Eldorado Canyon is a fun ride or hike to watch the climbers. Chatauqua Park has some good hiking trails too (and great concerts if you can catch one!). I would ask the LBS for ride recommendations.

Food - for fun, check out the Mountain Sun off Pearl St. Go to Moe's for bagels. For something fancy with a view, go to the Flagstaff House or take a drive to The Fort.

Have fun!

Thanks for the tip! Will def check roads.

I live local. For a great ride that is rollers- head out of Boulder on US36 towards Lyons then go east to 75th and then turn right and take that back to Valmont and into Boulder (75th and 63rd are great roads to ride- my 2 favorites) or google for the "fruit loops" to put on a few more miles in Lyons.

on 75th in the little town of Hygiene there is a great store to stop for fluids and food called Mary's- lots of yumminess!

If you go on Strava or map my ride- you will be able to find varieties of these rides that incorporate the roads.

Boulder Cycle Sport will have the best quality bike probably. Full Cycle and University bikes also rent.

Thanks, Emily for the suggested route. Will def look into it. Mary's sounds especially enticing ��

On hiking- I did a trail run last week at NCAR in Boulder- definitely worth heading that way also (I think it has some prettier options over Chataqua, but both are great!). If there is specific food/breweries you are interested in, let me know and I will give suggestions.