Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ramrod?

Ramrod?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone doing RAMROD this year? I'm riding in the Rainier area the day before, and then volunteering. If you're doing it, have a great ride--the weather looks perfect! And my sincere apologies if any signs in the parking area direct you the wrong way
    1980-something Colnago
    2010 Jamis Quest
    2013 Wabi Classic

mebikedolomitesoneday.wordpress.com

My Dh is doing it. what do you mean about the parking signs?

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

I'm in! Picked up packet on Sunday and was a little bummed about course change that eliminates Paradise climb and tacks another 20 miles with an out and back at mile 125! This is my first ramrod and from what everyone says paradise is the highlight of the ride. Also a little put off by the warning email I got this morning about the poor road conditions on two of the descents. They said we might have to walk some sections(yikes).

Khg, Thanks for volunteering!

I'm wondering if those course changes are the reason Brian was able to get in. He was something like 160 on the waitlist and then suddenly he's in. He's been grumbling about the out and back and the rumors of 20% grade climbs and horrible pavement--and the elimination of Paradise!
    Hope you have a wonderful and safe ride ttaylor!

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2012 Trek Mamba

I think it was a last minute change (although I could be wrong). We got in on the first lottery drawing and when we originally signed up the total mileage was 149 not 170. I kind of feel like I have been thrown for a loop with this route change and it has me a bit stressed out not to mention the dangerous road conditions! I will be checking that my brakes are in good working conditions tonight for sure

Lauraelmore1033 good luck to your husband!

Lauraelmore, my volunteer assignment is signs and traffic direction at the start--and my shift starts at 3:30AM, so I'm really hoping I point everybody the right way!

Today I went to Rainier, parked at the Grove of the Patriarchs, and biked up Cayuse to Chinook pass (where I nearly got eaten alive by mosquitos while putting on my leg warmers for the descent... It's really hard to put on leg warmers while hopping on one leg and wildly flapping your arms and slapping yourself!). Then I rolled back down to my car, refueled, and biked up to Paradise for a late, very welcome lunch. It was a great ride, and though it got a little warm towards the end, nothing like some of the hot RAMRODs in years past. I think tomorrow will be a great day for riding!

Driving back to Enumclaw, I noticed that in the newly chipsealed sections, they did seem to have swept well--there wasn't the loose gravel that there had been driving up in the morning. I hope everyone has a great ride!
    1980-something Colnago
    2010 Jamis Quest
    2013 Wabi Classic

Well, survived my first ramrod. Only one minor issue, a crash on some nasty rr tracks outside of pack wood. They are angled on the road so you have to swing out towards traffic in order to hit them at the right angle and unfortunately I had quite a few people around me and went in at a bad angle. I knew I was going down before I hit. Messed up my right side and somehow tore a huge chunk off my left thumb (note to self...make sure you have plenty of fresh band aids in bag...seasons old bandaids don't stick to blood, sweat and sunscreen very well). Luckily bike and helmet were okay so I could keep going. Rest of the ride was great. The roads warnings were well warranted. The volunteers did the best they could marking the worst, but there was just too many. Probably the worst road I have ever ridden. Cayuse pass was gorgeous. Although the best views of mt rainier are on descent so I missed them. They had an official photographer on the descent but they missed me That was the only photo I really wanted.) Deli stop was awesome! EFI was mean and cruel after 125 miles....sadistic even! Volunteer at the turnaround point said the steepest grade was actually 18% not the advertised 12%. But at least I got my pin and special m&m's although i lost the pin at the finish...oh well. I wasn't crazy about all the crappy chip seal the last part of the ride and had a really scary lumber truck that rode the fog line. But as soon as we turned off the highway the route was fun.

168 miles...10,000 feet of climbing and some beautiful scenery and wonderful volunteers!

Khg- how was it from the volunteer angle?

Lauraelmore-how did your dh do?
    Last edited by ttaylor508; 08-06-2014 at 05:01 PM.

I was just thinking about you and wondering how you did. Brian rolled in about 5:30ish and I was really happy to see him. He was not too committed to doing the EFI out and back from the get go and that non commitment was sealed when he saw the hoards of riders in front of and around him passing the turnoff. He was also of the opinion that it seemed kind of sadistic! Congratulations TTaylor! you are officially an Aaaaanimal in my book! (although you already were, as a 1 day STP finisher...) I don't know how you do it!

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2012 Trek Mamba

I contacted the Ramrod registrar about getting a replacement pin and he said he opted out of the EFI challenge too. Had it not been 125 miles in on a already hill intensive ride, I think i might have enjoyed it. The road was in good condition with almost no traffic.

We rolled in right around 5:30ish too. What jersey was your dh wearing. The three of us had team Manny Georgetown brewing jerseys on.

Volunteering was pretty neat. I was doing one tiny, relatively insignificant thing out of the gazillion that need to be done (direct people into a parking lot, or away from it when full) and even for that task there were abundant people. I really got a sense that a lot of work goes into paying attention to all the details that need to be taken care of, then putting about twice as many volunteers than the bare minimum on any given task. It seems like a small army gets deployed to make RAMROD happen! Having enjoyed great events that were made possible because people volunteered, it was nice to pay some of that back--and I really am astounded at the volunteer effort that goes into RAMROD.

Also, I got to enjoy Mt Rainier slowly appearing like a ghost, then coloring with the light of the sunrise that was happening a time zone away, then the rest of the sky starting to lighten, and finally a beautiful sunrise. Being *not* a morning person, I would never get up early enough on my own to see that, and it was pretty incredible!

Pro tip--if you want to park in one of the close parking lots to the start line, you'll want to get there by 4 or 4:30...
    1980-something Colnago
    2010 Jamis Quest
    2013 Wabi Classic

He wore a Purdue University jersey. Middle aged guy with kind of long grey hair.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2012 Trek Mamba

"Pro tip--if you want to park in one of the close parking lots to the start line, you'll want to get there by 4 or 4:30..."

We got prime parking as we left house (north of Seattle) at 2:30am (ugh). Got to start line just before 4am...saw a guy sleeping in back of his truck (no canopy), that's roughing it!

ttaylor, that sounds like a brutal crash, how lucky you weren't seriously hurt, or your bike damaged so that you couldn't continue. Railroad tracks scare the dickens out of me, and I usually walk or scoot over them if they look even a little bit dodgy. Be sure to pick up a new "ouch pouch" at Bike Expo next year.

All of you who finished this ride are rock stars, along with those who volunteered. I'm in awe!
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

Quote Originally Posted by AppleTree View Post
    ttaylor, that sounds like a brutal crash, how lucky you weren't seriously hurt, or your bike damaged so that you couldn't continue. Railroad tracks scare the dickens out of me, and I usually walk or scoot over them if they look even a little bit dodgy. Be sure to pick up a new "ouch pouch" at Bike Expo next year.

All of you who finished this ride are rock stars, along with those who volunteered. I'm in awe!
    Still recovering from crash...I still have a very very impressive bruise on my hip/a**, so impressive that I think my DD may have sent a photo out on instagram of it (YIKES). The thumb I am still not sure about...the thick piece of skin won't fall off so I have to keep it bandaged so I won't catch it on something and tear it off. I am very lucky that bike and helmet were intact so I could continue. I would have been devastated to not be able to finish.

Lauraelmore - I think your hubby is about 40 photos behind us on the ramrod finish line photos. They cut most of me off in photo. I think I was unclipping so they could grab the tracking thingy off my helmet

The volunteer at the packet pick up shared with my DH that the bib numbering system for RAMROD is based on age. So the lower the number the older/more experienced you are. The guy who got number 1 was 70. Here is his story http://redmondcyclingclub.org/RAMROD...t_Rider_1.html

Next up....TOUR DE WHIDBEY ANYONE ???

Quote Originally Posted by ttaylor508 View Post
    Next up....TOUR DE WHIDBEY ANYONE ???
    Tour de Whidbey sounds awesome! ...Aaaaand, I'm out of town But at least I know about it now.

I've been meaning to ride around Whidbey this summer, but just didn't make it, and now for the rest of the month we're either travelling or can't get away for a day trip because of in-town obligations (brother in-law's wedding, that sort of stuff. Things that we'd get in trouble for if we skipped them to do a bike ride... Some people have no sense of priorities!)

Maybe next year!
    1980-something Colnago
    2010 Jamis Quest
    2013 Wabi Classic