Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Somebody dope slap me, please....N + 1 strikes again.

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have been searching Craigslist for some time-hoping to find a gently-used Surly Cross Check in my size-without luck to date.

Well, today I came across a 2011 Jamis Ventura Comp Femme (Yes, I realize it's a totally different bike than the CC!) in the adjoining town and have communicated with the seller about seeing it. At this point it's mainly curiosity; I'm wondering if the Jamis aluminum frame will ride/feel any differently than my '09 Dolce Elite. I love my other 2 Jamis bikes-which are both steel.

Both the Ventura Comp and Dolce Elite are compacts and somewhat alike, though the Ventura does not have zertz in the rear. I think I can talk myself out of this-either using the fit or ride as a rationale. If for some reason the Ventura seemed 'better' than the Dolce in fit or ride, the latter would have to be sold. Another consideration is that I have never had a problem with men's models fitting me. I'm only 5' 6" but have a proportionately longer torso-not to mention big hands and feet. I don't have to have a woman-specific model.

Has anyone ridden a Ventura? It seems that the geometry is geared more for comfort, which is what I prefer.

1990 Univega Alpina/(stock) gel saddle
    2009 Specialized Dolce Elite/BG Lithia saddle
    2009 Jamis Coda Sport/Selle Royale Respiro saddle
    2010 Jamis Aurora/Jamis Touring Sport saddle

If you're looking for someone to talk you off the cliff you're speaking to the wrong group :-)

I haven't ridden the Ventura, but I have the men's Quest and love it. I'm 5'3 and have a shorter torso, but a long inseam and what my partner calls "ape arms."
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Well, The weather forecast today is quite iffy, and the seller wrote last night that he wasn't available until after noon-without offering me a tentative time. He said he'd write again 'sometime' this morning. (I didn't want to offer my phone number-and apparently he didn't, either.)

As a person who prefers to have a game plan for the day, this may turn out for the best. I bought my Jamis bikes at Harris Cyclery in West Newton, but it doesn't seem that they carry them any longer.

I bought my Jamis Coda Femme at Quad Cycles in Arlington... they had a lot of Jamis (Jami?), although this was in 2008.
    I wish I hadn't sold it.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Crankin-I just checked Quad Cycle's site; it appears that they do still sell Jamis. (Occasionally I do see a Coda Femme on Boston CL-in case you decide to rewind your decision. As I recall, you do need a smaller bike ?)

Harris Cyclery was a good experience, although it's a little drive for me. City driving is not my cup of tea-and Newton is barely within my comfort range. (At least they still carry Surly.)

I have been going back and forth about getting the stable in the right spot. The Aurora will definitely stay-and I think the Coda Sport is likely to win a spot in the end. If I do sell the Dolce I won't get anywhere near what I paid for it in 2009 and would be surprised if this Ventura Comp is much different or better. It appears to be a 2011 and I think the $600 price may be a bit high. We'll see.

No, I don't need a smaller bike. I sold the Jamis when I got my custom ti Guru. We've whittled down our stable to 4 bikes (2 each), down from about 9, which included a couple that my older son now has.
    Quad Cycles is in an area that is comparable to Newton as far as driving, maybe less busy on a weekend. I don't drive in Boston, either (I moved away from here 2 months before I got my permit, to a place where everything is on a grid), but since I grew up in Newton, I do drive there, as well as in Brookline (right up to the border of Boston), since I generally know my way around. However, as I say, the level of azzhole type driving increases as proximity to the city grows. You could take 495 to Rt 2, right to Arlington, or take a scenic detour through Concord and Lexington. Although Quad is know as a racer's shop, they had a large supply of commuter type and touring stuff and they were very nice.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Hmmm...That sounds pretty painless-even by my wimpy driving standards. I much prefer Route 495 over Route 128. I used to drive to Concord - and later Harvard -for my Collies' ophthalmologist appointments, so I think I could handle that route.

Wow. This was the creepiest CL experience I've had to date-and a classic case of things not being as they might appear. The seller had been pleasant and articulate throughout the Emails back and forth to arrange the bike viewing. He did seem prematurely convinced that I was going to love the bike and buy it without a second thought. I was prepared to decline politely if that was not the case. He seemed knowledgeable about bikes in general, and said he had a 'bike shop' in his home.

Was I in for a rude awakening. The house was rundown, with junk and litter strewn all over the place. The man-who met me in the driveway-was dirty and unshaven, with bushy eyebrows. Add a crazed look in his eyes, and all the flags went up.

First, he wanted me to follow him into the cellar to look at the bike. <"NOooo I'm not going in your cellar...how about bringing it outside? I'm going to be riding it anyway."> I never go into anyone's home for a CL purchase, and if I'm selling something I arrange to meet them somewhere in daylight in a public place.

I asked him why he was selling it, and he said it had been intended as a gift for someone he was 'courting', but the relationship didn't work out and he didn't give it to her. (Um...Is she buried in the cellar, by any chance???)

He finally brought out the bike and proudly announced, "Here it is! This is a nice custom bike." Frankenbike would have been more appropriate. It was supposed to be white (frame, seat, tires, handlebar tape)-but it was filthy. It had Sora in front and Ultegra in the rear. (Why, I don't know-but that was apparently the "custom" part.) The pedals were at least 30+ years old and caked with dirt. He also had installed a vintage rear rack on it; it looked out of place...and crooked. I never would have paid $600 for it. After I rode it I went with my prepared line, "It's a nice bike, but it's similar to what I already have and not quite what I'm looking for." For what it was worth, I did tell him that he would be more likely to get what he's asking if he cleaned it up a bit before showing it. He seemed surprised that the dirt would be an issue. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Glad that it worked out the way it did, yikes!

I got another "want to see your @ item" response to MY CL ad, I didn't bother responding to this one. At least the first "guy" made an effort to make the first email sound semi-normal.