Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Current WSD bikes with 650c wheels and short top tubes? For 4'9" Rider.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi, my friend is 4'9" and looking for a new recreational road bike with drop bars. I am helping her look for one but have not found many options with top tubes shorter than 50cm. We did a fit calculator on competitivecyclist.com and it stated that a top tube of about 47cm would be ideal. In order to have a short top tube, I think 650c wheels are necessary.

It's pretty hard to find this though.. The only current WSD bike that I see with 650c wheels is the 44cm Terry Symmetry though there is nowhere in NYC to try one out where she lives. It has a top tube of about 50cm.

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest current models that would be suitable? Budget up to ~$1500.

Would she consider a Bike Friday? She can get any size effective top tube she needs there. And no problem with standover! I love my little Petite Pocket Crusoe with 20" wheels.

Attachment 17289
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Oddly enough, I'm another Bike Friday gal. My best-fitting traditional bike was a cannondale 48cm with 650c wheels. As the components wore out, I was unable to replace them due to new technology components, and eventually donated the bike. It is a real shame 650 wheels are a rarity now. I too think 650cm should come with a less than 50cm bike. When I had my Bike Friday made, I used my cannondale dimensions. It is a PERFECT fitting bike and I absolutely love it! Maybe there is a BF retailer in the area? When I was researching Bike Friday's they had some kind of program where they could hook you up with someone local (I mean a regular person) to talk to and test ride their bike. I did that with some woman who was somewhat my size in the area before buying. Good luck!

delete
    Last edited by IBrakeforPastry; 07-23-2014 at 03:39 AM.

Well, it's not exactly high end but Fuji makes a youth road bike with a 49 cm effective TT and 650c wheels.

Kona makes this bike with a 45.7 Eff TT and 24 inch wheels.

Giant makes this bike.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

I'm pretty sure Cannondale makes a WSD Synapse in a 44...but that's with 700c wheels, IIRC. I imagine that would be a tricky fit in terms of standover, huh?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Also, Surly is coming out with a 650b version of the Straggler this year. Could be possible to put slick tires on it and make it work.
    That is cool that Surly is coming out with a Straggler with smaller wheels for shorter people...but why 650b and not 26" like the LHT? Seems like an awkward size to me.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpotato View Post
    Hi, my friend is 4'9" and looking for a new recreational road bike with drop bars. I am helping her look for one but have not found many options with top tubes shorter than 50cm. We did a fit calculator on competitivecyclist.com and it stated that a top tube of about 47cm would be ideal. In order to have a short top tube, I think 650c wheels are necessary.

It's pretty hard to find this though.. The only current WSD bike that I see with 650c wheels is the 44cm Terry Symmetry though there is nowhere in NYC to try one out where she lives. It has a top tube of about 50cm.

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest current models that would be suitable? Budget up to ~$1500.

What is her inseam measurement? At 4'9" I suspect it will be pretty short; I would guess about 25". If this is the case, it may be difficult to find a diamond frame bike with 650 wheels with standover height that is low enough. She may need to go with youth road bike with 24" wheels or perhaps a very small mixte.
    Bike Friday Petite Crusoe
    Terry Trixie
    Gary Fisher beater bike

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I know. I'd love a mountain bike in 650B, but Surly hasn't got one yet? Or maybe they have just one. Not sure. Wish the Troll were available in 650B, 26 inch wheels are a little small for taller people. (Like me). And 700c are kind of big for that setup, makes it feel a bit like a tank (Like the Ogre). They should at least make the smallest size (38?) available in the 26, those are smaller, correct?
    Part of my process in figuring out my latest project bike was looking at the difference in outside circumference of a 650b wheel with mountain tires and a 700c with low profile cross tires. Guess what, it's almost identical. So unless you put a lower profile tire on a 650b rim, you don't gain much in clearance.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS