Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Slip 'n' slide saddle

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have a Rivet leather saddle on our tandem. It worked pretty well last summer, but this summer it has become super slick and shiny, I'm guessing from the consistent application of chamois lube, and I can't seem to stay put on it. The tandem is a custom made bike, and I've had a professional fitting from one of the best fitters in Seattle, so I know the sliding isn't because of improper placement of the saddle. Is there something I can put on the saddle to make it a little less slidey without ruining the finish? any pointers from you leather lovers?

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Ok, that seems like a good idea! I wonder if murphy's oil soap would do the trick.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2012 Trek Mamba

If your sure the issue is caused by chamois lube I would try a degreaser. Try wiping the saddle with simple green on a cloth and see what happens. I have used simple green on my leather saddle to remove grease marks which worked well without damaging the leather. I took a wet cloth afterwards to remove any residual simple green.
    No pressure No diamonds

I'm not actually sure that is the issue, but that saddle is like glass now and it didn't come that way. Cleansing or degreasing sound like the way to go. Funny that didn't occur to me first. I was actually considering putting something sticky on the seat

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2012 Trek Mamba

You might just want to email Deb Banks directly and ask her, too.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Thanks Salsabike, I just did that!

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2012 Trek Mamba

Will be curious to hear Deb's thoughts. The nice thing about leather saddles is they can be slippery so less pressure points. If cleaning doesn't help, personally I would tip the nose up a hair - if you are sliding off the front that is. If you are sliding off the back, I'd move the saddle back. I know you had a fit but there is always room for micro adjustments. Also Deb says no need to treat your Rivet leather with anything so perhaps wiping it clean after every ride with a damp cloth. keep us posted
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Just heard from Deb who says a mild degreaser should be just fine. She also suggested I re tension the saddle (but I think the tension is pretty good)and maybe use less chamois butter. It occurs to me that I first noticed the problem with slipperiness was when I started using a dry powder lube from monistat (and have since stopped using) so maybe a gentle cleansing of that residue will do the trick.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2012 Trek Mamba