Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by MarieV View Post
    Would bungee cords work, or would the eggs still break from bouncing in the cartons?
    I'd try cushioning the bottom, first. Whenever I buy something that comes in potentially handy packaging material, I save it. What I keep on the bottom of my motorcycle tail pack is a slab of that thin soft closed-cell foam, either black or white, that often protects laptops in their original packaging. A slab of foam rubber would work too, you can usually buy that cut to order in any size, I'd opt for a thinner, higher density piece. I might put a slab on top of the egg cartons too, if you don't put your meat in a soft cooler for the ride - frozen meat is pretty darn hard!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I'm wondering of the eggs are actually breaking because of other things bouncing on top of them. Might try putting them nearer the top, but still appropriately supported? *knocking wood* I haven't had an issue with eggs. Easily bruised fruits and veggies are what I have the most difficulties with.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Hauling only 4 unhusked cobs of corn, bag of hazelnuts, etc., plus other fruits made me feel like cycling bounty queen today. As for bruised fresh local fruits, I'm just grateful to buy local at reasonable prices.

The market that I cycle to weekly, for whatever strange reason does not attract many cyclists. It is located near bike routes and on weekends the roads are pleasantly quiet with indoor facilities, stalls and washrooms. Very clean. It is also within 1 km. of historic residential neighbourhoods. It is in my opinion, the best local market with the widest range of local farmers, vendors with good pricing. It doesn't just have yuppie-like, chic stalls of goods like some other markets. In fact several major vendors/growers are run by immigrants...yes, I will say this that their English reflects a 2nd mother tongue and their stalls are family run operations.

I think I'll have to slowly promote this long-time, working class oriented market through the cycling group and I know cyclists do live close to this market. I am not certain if the city where I live just is not accustomed (still) cycling with a lot of groceries.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Where I usually break down and take the car, is leafy greens. I always make sure I have a plastic bag big enough to cover them completely (or use two), but if it's more than a bag of baby lettuces, they just get beaten to bits in a pannier. Especially if it's anything larger like chard or beets with greens, that sticks half out of the pannier and flaps around in the wind.

What I wind up doing is taking the car to the winter CSA pickup, which I do midweek and is usually heavy on greens, then supplement that with a ride to the market on Saturday for juice, eggs, strawberries, meat, fish and dairy products, and any extra veggies I might need. With the small soft cooler and freezer packs for the fish and frozen meat, it's usually all I can fit in my bags anyway.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

We have a number of farmer markets in my area with all of them being year round. Saturdays I can walk across the street to a small farmers market for salad and micro greens, Indian food ingredients, artisanal items, a vegetable breakfast crepe and of course chocolate hazelnut truffles. On Wednesday there is a very large farmers market with a huge selection a few blocks from where I work and on Sundays there is one in size that’s between those two and closer than the Wed one. Mostly on Sunday and sometimes on Wed I get berries/fruit, veggies, Maggie Farms organic greens/herbs, Asian ingredients, great breads and on Sunday sometimes breakfast with friend/s. Heirloom tomatoes, ‘Orange Flesh’ or smaller ‘Sun kiss” melons and Flame and Black Emerald grapes are all in the Sunday and Wed. markets at the moment. I can ride with a melon or hard fruits/root veggies in a day backpack and other foods just in a front basket (with a thick anti-vibration foam pad in the bottom) with harder foods on the bottom and berries, eggs, greens on top. Never had a problem with any of it. I use a soft canvas grocery bag that fits in the front basket. Crossing the handle straps over the bag and attaching them to the sides of the basket keep things secure. We have a market refrigerator in the office for people needing to use it on Wed or store those market foods for lunches.
    At both the Sunday and Wed markets there are bike racks set out for around 75 or so bikes and they are usually close to being filled during market hours.

For eggs I just keep reusing a container I got with store bought eggs that keeps them reasonably cushioned and protected. Never had a problem.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

YiXing teapot! I've always loved the varied design and the visual texture of the pots. And how lovely to have so many choices for farmers markets. Even better is the fridge at your work! How grand is that?!!

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by smilingcat View Post
    YiXing teapot! I've always loved the varied design and the visual texture of the pots. And how lovely to have so many choices for farmers markets. Even better is the fridge at your work! How grand is that?!!
    We have problems of food theft for our communal work fridge... which surprised me actually. I have a big problem: my freezer isn't big enough.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.