Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Going across country for 50th B-day..any advice or suggestions

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have 2 years to plan this out. I have decided this is my birthday gift to me and to go and visit my sister in CA. I also would like to raise money for a mission group but this optional. I have been riding for years and have done many different charity events of different mileages. Since my dh has done such a wonderful job doing SAG on the charity rides I do that he will be my SAG for this trip so I won't have to worry about weighing down the bike so much and if anything happens then someone else will be there. I have thought about seeing if someone else would like to tag along but not sure on that just yet. I don't know if I want to start early spring (I worry about bad storms and such at this time of year) or wait till early summer. I think we will camp sometimes and hotels are other times. I am thinking on the average it should take 2-3 months but I'm just guessing at that. What other things should I be thinking about and planning for?

Assuming you have a route in mind? Of course, look at adventure cycling. also go to crazyguyonabike.com Personally I hate riding in heat so look at different states weather for when you think you may be there based on your departure time. Sounds like an adventure
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

I'm looking at routes now. I am not a climber so I'm to joyful about going over the Rockie mountains and like you I don't like riding in extreme heat. My sister says it gets really hot even in the spring. She lives in S. CA. I'm concerned about the drought conditions out west and wondering if water will be issue in a few years. I'm looking forward to this adventure.

That is fantastic that your husband is happy to be sag for your trip. That would certainly put my mind at ease on a day to day basis knowing that your gear is handy. I think once you pick out your route, gear and other things will follow. This Cycle America tour takes 2 months to go across the northern part of the United States. Their route and mileage may be helpful in your planning.