Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Help me--Wheels!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have a Madone 3.1 wsd and want to upgrade with new wheels. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the critical parameters are, including how much I need to spend to get a significant boost. I'm kinda heavy (5'9", 170 lbs) and would like to be a better climber. I ride a 2-3 times a week, 20-45 miles each time. By myself I average about 13.5 mph, with the Bike club about 14 mph. Yes, I know that I would be a better climber if I rode more and ate less.

This is probably the only significant upgrade I will make to the bike, so while I don't want to throw money away, I don't want to be so thrifty that I miss out on something. Because of my lack of knowledge, I don't have a strict budget, but I was thinking $500-1000. The upper level there makes me cringe a bit.

Trek Dealer: recommends Bontrager race ($500) or Bontrager race light ($700), tires not included.
    Bike Club guy: has a pair of Bontrager race in his basement, with tires, will sell for $250.
    Spec/C'dale Dealer: has a pair of Mavic Kyserium Elite S wheels, used once, tires included, for $600
    Other recommendations?

There is a guy 75 miles away that does custom wheels, but I would like feedback on the above choices first. Thoughts?

I love my American Classic. Mine is the one with some pink in it.
    Hubby has a set too in black
    http://www.amclassic.com/en/products...els/420-aero-3

I'm not light either and they are great wheels for me. Too bad I'm not fast enough for them. I should also ride more and eat less. But hey! What fun would it be to go fast if I can't enjoy my ice cream and fries. haha

Quote Originally Posted by Helene2013 View Post
    I love my American Classic. Mine is the one with some pink in it.
    Hubby has a set too in black
    http://www.amclassic.com/en/products...els/420-aero-3

I'm not light either and they are great wheels for me. Too bad I'm not fast enough for them. I should also ride more and eat less. But hey! What fun would it be to go fast if I can't enjoy my ice cream and fries. haha
    Did you notice a difference in speed when you first got them?

BF is in love with his Mavics. So is his mom. There are fights over those wheels.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by roo4 View Post
    Did you notice a difference in speed when you first got them?
    They came with my bike. So I cannot really tell.

But my husband saw a huge difference with the Shimano he had originally on his Cervelo R3 (which he traded in for Cervelo S3 this past May). Mavic Cosmos that came with his Cervelo S3 were ok but he much prefers the AM Classic Aero. And he's tried the 23mm and 25mm tires on them. He likes his 23mm because of look (comes in red) but prefers the 25mm because tougher on flat tires with our bad road conditions.

Don’t buy upgrades, ride up grades…..Merckx

A couple of watts of extra power output from proper training can add more than new wheels, that said, rotational weight can matter for acceleration and climbing. I’d talk to the custom builder and see what he recommends for your size, bike, riding and roads. I prefer the ceramic ultra smooth bearings and carbon hub bodies of my campy wheel set for its effortless spin and light weight.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

I was looking for a thread like this last week!

I spent the last couple of weeks researching new wheels for my 2010 Madone 4.5. The hub in my front wheel got pitted, and there's a noticeable vibration. The bike came with Bontrager SSRs.

My head is still spinning with choices, and I'm not sure I made the right one....but it's ordered. I decided to go with a little nicer set-up and get just the front for now. Next year I can get the rear.

I was asked at the LBS if 1) I was considering upgrading to an 11 speed in the future and 2) if I wanted to go tubeless. My answer was no to both.

I went with a Velocity A23 rim, 28 spoke count, and a White Industries T11 hub. It ran me a little over $300 with my club discount to have built at my LBS.

Velocity A23: http://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/a23-622

White Industries T11: http://www.whiteind.com/t11.html

From what I heard from the shop guys and have read on forums, the wider rims are the trend. Velocity and HED were early adopters, and now most manufacturers have followed.

Hub choice appears to be one of the most important factors. The ceramic cartridges can be changed out (unlike my current wheel) if there are problems.
    2010 Trek Madone 4.5
    2013 Velo Orange Campeur

Mzone, thanks, that's helpful. Decisions, decisions!

Quote Originally Posted by roo4 View Post
    I have a Madone 3.1 wsd and want to upgrade with new wheels. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the critical parameters are, including how much I need to spend to get a significant boost. I'm kinda heavy (5'9", 170 lbs) and would like to be a better climber. I ride a 2-3 times a week, 20-45 miles each time. By myself I average about 13.5 mph, with the Bike club about 14 mph. Yes, I know that I would be a better climber if I rode more and ate less.

This is probably the only significant upgrade I will make to the bike, so while I don't want to throw money away, I don't want to be so thrifty that I miss out on something. Because of my lack of knowledge, I don't have a strict budget, but I was thinking $500-1000. The upper level there makes me cringe a bit.

Trek Dealer: recommends Bontrager race ($500) or Bontrager race light ($700), tires not included.
    Bike Club guy: has a pair of Bontrager race in his basement, with tires, will sell for $250.
    Spec/C'dale Dealer: has a pair of Mavic Kyserium Elite S wheels, used once, tires included, for $600
    Other recommendations?

There is a guy 75 miles away that does custom wheels, but I would like feedback on the above choices first. Thoughts?
    The Bontrager wheels are fine but they are run of the mill OEM (original equipment manufacturer) wheels. You could get the same weight but much lower price with custom wheels, or much lighter wheels still within your budget that are easier to true, can be repaired if necessary etc. I think this is even more important if you are a heavier rider.

OK, it is not my intention to sell stuff on this forum and I know it's frowned upon but really, my SO builds wheelsets all the time that are as light as production wheelsets, but are stronger, more durable and can be maintained properly without having to send them back to the manufacturer and on average will cost 1/3 to 1/2 of a typical OEM wheelset. He has built me at least 5 wheelsets and I will never, ever buy anything but custom now. If you'd like more information PM me and I will send you contact info. He's also super cool with working with women and is very approachable with regards to questions etc. I really don't mean to make a pushy sale, it's just that I get really fired up when I see people willing to spend so much money on wheelsets that are OK but not really that great and in some ways impractical when it comes to servicing the wheels if something goes wrong.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Thanks for your input, Wahine. It looks like I'm going to have to wait a bit for this particular treat.