Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

holy batman! I just bought a farm!!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Oh good grief!! What am I getting into?

my parents are city slickers. Not the country, dueling banjo type. Not sure if such thing existed in Japan... They are the quintescential New Yorker equivalent in Japanese.

So its a farm. It's zoned for ag. Gots green house, gots hoop house, gots pole barn, gots storage shed/coop. Gots cover crop rye in the field. Gots nursery trees by the thousands, gots rows and rows of blueberry bushes, gots small fruit orchard. and oh, it does have a very nice house. Farm has been neglected but it still gets farm tax exemption... Well there are wild life around. elk or two or herd comes running through. deer likes to use the trees to "sharpen" their antlers during rut. Lots of bunnies, lots of hawks flying over.

What am I going to do now??

Get farming girl!!! I guess.

Just today I finished reading Hit by a Farm by Catherine Friend. You might want to check it out

In the meantime, enjoy the land and all its beauty!

Congratulations! I just bought a new house too. Now if only I could get the old house SOLD...
    Martha
    Work hard, be nice.
    Read a book.

Congrats!
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Sounds wonderful! Lots of work but so rewarding, based on my friends and family members who own small farms. We did too, for about 5 minutes, but for a variety of reasons, it was not meant to be. Hoping yours will be!

P.S. It's always better to buy a farm than to have "bought the farm"!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Wow! Good luck and have fun!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Sounds like an adventurous new turn in your life!
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Quote Originally Posted by IBrakeforPastry View Post
    Just today I finished reading Hit by a Farm by Catherine Friend. You might want to check it out

In the meantime, enjoy the land and all its beauty!
    Well I think I have to get that book too. I read Peace At Heart An Oregon Country Life by Barbara Drake. I enjoyed it a lot!! Amazon always have good reviews and even a review by Ursula K. Le Guin an award winning SciFi write.

And last night we had heirloom variety of broccoli we grew. OMG!! Lightly steamed and it was sweet with really yummy flavor. no butter, no salt or any seasoning needed. I also like eating the stem without the woody outside/skin. But this big broccoli's outer skin was soft as peach skin and it peeled really easily. The big stem inside was so good. I don't think I can ever eat another store bought broccoli. Oh the variety was DiCiccillo. We'll start another batch for fall harvest.

Congratulations, sounds like the start of a brand new, and fun, adventure!

Congratulations! I'm jealous. I miss our farm.

Another good read: The Dirty Life by Kristin Kimball
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Sounds idyllic. Enjoy your new life!
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Enjoy your farm and its tasty results...eventually and Nature all around.

I'm sure you must be familiar with this Californian farm book by a 3rd generation Japanese-American peach farmer: http://www.masumoto.com/our-writing-...orth-savoring/

My partner was a weekend part-time farmer for a decade while he also had a full time career job with an oil firm in Toronto. I get my basic info. from him on cows, pigs, hay, chickens, beets.... and horses. He actually took a few evening courses with one of the local universities with faculty program in agriculture, etc. He also befriended an experienced (older) farmer down the road where he learned some basics. He and the other farmer helped each other, also bartered some stuff or bought some discounted equipment (of course, he went to local farm equipment auctions.) Farm was sold.

But many years later...his son now can draw upon his childhood memories of farm....for his butcher and sandwich shop that he just opened up in Toronto this spring.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Cool

Congratulations!

Growing up on a farm was great, at least for me as a kid. I think it instilled in me a love of the beauty of nature. But then I was not the one having to do all the work. It is hard work.

My parents bought a small chicken farm right after the war. This was back when Petaluma was "the egg basket of the world". In time they saw that larger factory farms made it impossible to compete. So they both got other jobs. If there had been farmers markets, our farm to table movement, our re-found love for local foods perhaps they'd have been able to continue farming.

Both my parents continued to garden long after the farm itself was gone. Their garden was amazing. People sometimes stopped on the road to stare, or walked up the drive to ask if they can pick some flowers. Their answer was always "yes!". When Helen and Scott Nearing, the writers known for advocating a "back to the land" simple way of life they called "The Good Life", toured Sonoma County they stayed at my folks home.

Mom had a kitchen garden right up till the end she produced amazing meals, jams, pies right off her garden. In fact I'm off to plant some flowers using some of her garden tools. Enjoy your farm! Hey, sounds like a good destination for a bike tour!
    Last edited by Trek420; 07-10-2014 at 06:37 PM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Congrats!!!

Assuming you're still in the PDX area I'd love to come out and see it sometime. I'm capable when it comes to berry picking and can be paid in food.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    Congrats!!!

Assuming you're still in the PDX area I'd love to come out and see it sometime. I'm capable when it comes to berry picking and can be paid in food.
    BETTER!! Many of the locals think I'm in Boring (yes its a name of the city) or I'm in Sandy. But title says its in Gresham Oregon and its in Multnomah County and not Clackamus. I'm at the very east end of Gresham. In all honesty, I think the property is closer to downtown Sandy than downtown Gresham.

Yes when I take posession, come and visit. Probably nothing to see till next spring. And no berry bushes for a year or so. No berries on the property right now.

Tomorrow, I'll be filing for DBA. Already secured a web address for the farm and lining up buyers.