Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this a fair price?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello ladies,
    I found a used 2011 Specialized Myka FSR Elite on CL for $1500/cdn
    The original owner says she rode the bike less than 10x and realized the bike is to small for her. It looks absolutely mint, from looking at it it's hard to believe she rode it at all. Anyhow, I'm wondering about the price, do you guys think it's a fair price for a used bike?
    No pressure No diamonds

These folks have NOS 2013 Mykas for $1500 US.

They don't ship and they only have a Medium and a Large left, but for price reference ...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
    Hello ladies,
    I found a used 2011 Specialized Myka FSR Elite on CL for $1500/cdn
    The original owner says she rode the bike less than 10x and realized the bike is to small for her. It looks absolutely mint, from looking at it it's hard to believe she rode it at all. Anyhow, I'm wondering about the price, do you guys think it's a fair price for a used bike?
    Over priced for a 2011
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)

Thanks for all the replies. I agree, it's over priced. Unfortunately the owner seems to be quite firm on the asking price. So I'm going to keep looking for a mountain bike so all you enablers chime in .......what bikes should I be looking at?
    I want the bike to be under 30-35 lbs, so possible carbon frame? The Myka was around 32 lbs, I don't think I would like something heavier.
    No pressure No diamonds

I bought one of last years new from my LBS on clearance for $750.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

Don't think you need to pay the steep price for a carbon MTB unless you really want one -- aluminum is light too!

Sorry your craigslist seller is refusing to budge. Perhaps when she doesn't get a buyer, she'll call you again. I wouldn't give up quite yet.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I don't think you'll need a carbon frame to achieve that weight. If you are specifically looking for a full-sus bike, Trek Lush comes to mind, also Specialized Safire, Cube AMS WLS, Santa Cruz Juliana, Cannondale Lexi, Giant Lust... there's plenty more, I'm sure, but this is just to suggest some alternatives to check out.

Also, for each of those, I'm positive it would benefit you more to upgrade to a lighter wheelset than what comes stock, rather than paying the premium price for the carbon frame offering (if available).

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going on my days off to check out a few bike shops and see what they have. It never occurred to me to swap out the wheels. If I bought a lighter wheel set would the bike shop keep the original set and adjust the price accordingly? I can already see DH rolling his eyes if I came home with another bike plus an extra set of wheels, but hey could be worse it could be another pair of shoes....or a purse....lol
    No pressure No diamonds

Emily your right I don't need an $$ carbon frame. I just don't want the bike to weigh more than 30ish lbs. I struggle with climbing as it is and wanted to avoid adding any extra frustration by having a heavy bike. I have a hybrid that's heavy but works really well on rolling trails, but not so much on steep climbs.
    No pressure No diamonds

Emily your right I don't need an $$ carbon frame. I just don't want the bike to weigh more than 30ish lbs. I struggle with climbing as it is and wanted to avoid adding any extra frustration by having a heavy bike. I have a hybrid that's heavy but works really well on rolling trails, but not so much on steep climbs.
    High quality custom steel is also quite light, my full custom Gunnar (with deep mountain bike gearing), only weighs ~22 pounds built and she is a virtual little mountain goat when it comes to climbing. It is still for sale by the way (hint hint) All joking aside, check out my post in the FS section. If nothing else it might give you an idea of different options that are out there.
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-12-2014 at 01:33 PM.

It never occurred to me to swap out the wheels. If I bought a lighter wheel set would the bike shop keep the original set and adjust the price accordingly? I can already see DH rolling his eyes if I came home with another bike plus an extra set of wheels, but hey could be worse it could be another pair of shoes....or a purse....lol
    I think you should talk to the specific LBS about that, but they certainly might. If you think about it, rolling weight is felt the most - basically, you feel the extra weight the most in tyres and rims, also in spokes, and less in the hubs because they are in the centre of rotation. A lightweight wheelset will make you feel much more agile on climbs. For light yet fast and grippy tyres I suggest looking at Schwalbe Rocket Ron (available in 2.1 and 2.25) and weighing below 500 grams each.

As for the wheelsets, you can look at custom assembled wheelsets, too. In my experience, they tend to be cheaper in the given weight brackets. I suggest looking into ZTR rims (Crest rims are quite light and have decent reputation, for example) and DT Swiss or Sapim spokes. Novatec hubs (D041SB and D042SB, I think they are called) have really good price/weight and performance ratio and you can easily find them on eBay.

Even if you don't swap out the wheelset right away, you can always upgrade in the future. And the default wheelset can be sold to partially recover the expenses

I hope this helped at least as a starting point. Good luck and let us know what you end up buying

After driving myself crazy looking thru CL and Pink bike for hours I came to the conclusion I was buying myself a bran new bike. So today (insert drum roll) ta-daaaaaaa I got my bike. I bought a 2014 Giant Anthem Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	17267
    Last edited by Wasp; 07-16-2014 at 08:40 PM.
    No pressure No diamonds

New bike pic

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	138 
ID:	17269
    No pressure No diamonds

Ok I give up, for some reason I can't download the picture the right side up.....sorry....lol....tilt your head, it's a really nice bike
    No pressure No diamonds

I bought it bran new from a LBS its a Giant Anthem 2 with tax I paid $2466.00
    It's exactly the bike I wanted, it's light, full suspension, great gearing, and I really like the paint job. It's not screaming masculine and it's not pink (no offence to pink bike owners, but pink is just not for me)
    I can't wait to head to Whistler bike park......wooooooo-hooooo!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	105 
ID:	17277   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	103 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	17278  
    Last edited by Wasp; 07-19-2014 at 11:20 AM.
    No pressure No diamonds