Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

At the store I went they only had those and they did fit with my bike colour (then). Maybe they have different colours too. But if I'd have to look for something again, I would tend to look for such shoe design. The grip is just perfect (not too spiky, nor flat), etc.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Just went ahead and ordered the Keens from JensonUSA...a lot of reviews said they run a half size big so the size 6 should fit, and it was hard to pass up such a good price. I think I got the last pair. Hopefully they will work. I could have ordered the Powergrips from the same site but would feel better about ordering those through my LBS.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

I think you will like the Keen Commuters. They last forever I find normal Keen to be overly bulky but these are much more streamlined. Enjoy!

These are the shoes I've been wearing http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodPI_15213002.html I find them to be pretty comfortable and they have a recessed cleat so walking around in them is no problem. I haven't bought my clipless pedals yet. I just started road biking last fall and I wanted to get used to the feel of the bike before I threw in the clips. I'm thinking I might be ready by fall. If not then, definitely by next sprig,

For mountain. Biking, there are lots of good reasons not to use clip less and to use MTB specific flat shoes and pedals. The whole sacrifice efficiency has been somewhat disproven. The confidence and balance that most people gain MTB-ing in flats can far outweigh any so-called efficient power stoke.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

What Irulan said. I rode mtb pedals on the road but was never even tempted to clip in on the trails. My pinned platform pedals increases my trail confidence. While many do on the trails, I know many well experienced mtbrs who have returned to platform pedals after years of clipping in.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Is it just me, or does clipping in on trails seem like a great recipe for a crash?
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

For beginners, yes. Once you understand it, no- mostly. This is probably the most hotly debated topic in mountain biking. (Flats vs clip less). I'll never go back to clippers, but there are plenty of folks who like it just fine.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

The best MTBers in our club use clips. I don't and never will. Spikes and stiff soled shoes for me.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    For beginners, yes. Once you understand it, no- mostly. This is probably the most hotly debated topic in mountain biking. (Flats vs clip less). I'll never go back to clippers, but there are plenty of folks who like it just fine.
    Irulan - do you ride platforms on your road bike?
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo

Speedplays

I probably shouldn't have brought mtb in the discussion because OP was asking for road riding, right?
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    The best MTBers in our club use clips. I don't and never will. Spikes and stiff soled shoes for me.
    with the crew I run with, maybe 1/10 is clipped in now ----
    I just gave a private clinic to two "old school" xc riders, been riding since pre 2000. They asked me about the differences, and we had a long discussion. Since 1 of the the two has has a severe loss of confidence due to a serious injury, my recommendation to her is to ditch the clips. He could see the benefits immediately for balance, and movement. Some time I think people aren't interested in trying something new/different and want to stay with what they know. I won't go on and on about it for mountain biking, since I"m pretty sure OP was asking for road/casual/commuting purposes.
    Last edited by Irulan; 07-04-2014 at 02:48 PM.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

I think the only ones who would mind you bringing up MTB would be road snobs, and we do not seem to have them on this sight, so I think you are in the clear, Irulan. �� I am considering Speedpay LA's, but with my last clipless endeavor I am still on the fence.
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo

Lol don't be so sure. There are plenty mtb diehards of both ilks, (flat or clip less) that get very up on high horses about any way but their way being oh so wrong.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

I have power grips on the Surly ECR and have been enjoying them. I can't wear my keen's though, to wide and getting them in and out makes my knee hurt - but they also aren't the commuter so hopefully those are easier. On my touring/commuting bike I have been riding the Shimano A530 for at least six years and they so fit the ticket for me, clip in on one side, flat on the other. I scored a pair of pearl izumi's mtb shoes on the REI website last fall that have ended up being perfect for me. the cleat is recessed enough that I even ride them in the power grip.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com