Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Indoor cycling cert. honest advice

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi,
    Very new to site and looking for some honest advice. I have been doing indoor cycling on and off since I was 18. I have always been interested in getting my certification. I am looking to take the mad dogg or Schwinn course with in the next few months. I have 3 children and my husband is against me road cycling until they are older , which I respect. Will that make a huge difference in being a instructor as far a knowledge in the sport? Also, I think my biggest fear is going into a cert. class and being the least prepared as far as stamina and knowledge. In an actual class i take i feel i push myself and feel great after. Any advice or encouragement is appreciated.

Thank you all so much.

You probably are fit enough. However, from my experience, most indoor cycling instructors are just aerobic instructors on a spin bike. This is why I don't go to spin class very often; doing jumps and push ups on a bike in no way simulates outdoor riding, and right now, the gym I go to doesn't have a lot of instructors that are riders. So, I guess what I'm saying is that there are probably other people like me, who avoid classes that don't in some way replicate outdoor riding: hills, intervals, warm ups, cool downs. You can educate yourself without riding outside, but really, what is your husband scared of if this is something you want to do? Life is too short.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    You probably are fit enough. However, from my experience, most indoor cycling instructors are just aerobic instructors on a spin bike. This is why I don't go to spin class very often; doing jumps and push ups on a bike in no way simulates outdoor riding, and right now, the gym I go to doesn't have a lot of instructors that are riders. So, I guess what I'm saying is that there are probably other people like me, who avoid classes that don't in some way replicate outdoor riding: hills, intervals, warm ups, cool downs. You can educate yourself without riding outside, but really, what is your husband scared of if this is something you want to do? Life is too short.

Thank you so much for the response. I can honest say the class a my gym heavily simulates road biking. It isn't a spin class at all. We do climbs, interval rides, rolling Hills, surges ETC. I think of it were any different I wouldn't take it. With that being said that's the kind of class I would like to instruct.

As far a road biking, I have 3 young children. My dad is a very experienced rider and has been hit a few times. I think it has left a bad taste in my husbands mouth. I have no problem waiting till the kids are a little older when I really need a hobby (to love) I can devote more time and $ into

Well, you can't let fear of what might happen control your life. I write this as I await my husband to get out of surgery from a broken clavicle in a crash that happened when he was avoiding being hit. It's just part of cycling, but you can certainly mitigate risks in a lot of ways (riding on quiet roads, paths, early/late in the day). I no longer let fear run my life.
    It's nice to hear your gym has good classes. I'd say go for it.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Thank you!! I just might. Any bikes you can recommend for a beginner at a reasonable price?

That's a very personal decision. Decide your price point and go for the best components you can get for whatever your price is. Fit, fit, fit... Arm yourself with research and run from shops that treat you like a "little lady."
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura