Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Anyone cycled near the vercors, France?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi

I've decided to test the waters of Alps cycling by going on a week long holiday to the vercors region, just south of Grenoble.

I'm going with my partner who thinks that the only true form cycling is suffering up hills. I'm open to some suffering, but as it's a holiday if quite like some enjoyment too. The vercors seems to balance these two requirements and have some pretty villages and scenery.

Does this region suit this rather mixed style of riding and can anyone recommend a good base? We're driving from the UK and plan to book a gite for the week. Any recommendations would be warmly received.

Thanks!

Kate

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I've been there and it's beautiful. It was an important site in the French Resistance. I did not cycle there, but I did walk. Those are not small hills. Also be aware that the roads are very curvy and drivers tend to hug the corners. I got carsick on those curves! Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for your tip Tulip! I'm pretty used to the twisty roads, living in the UK and all. The French are way more bicycle friendly than most road users in the UK. Also, my OH used to race motorbikes, so after riding with him, I'm pretty immune to travel sickness....

Where did you stay? Do you have any recommendations about accommodation or particularly picturesque villages?

Cheers

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I stayed with friends and in a gîte. I don't remember the name of the gîte. My DH at the time did not bicycle, and I remember wishing I had a bike there. Being August and France, there might be some villages and gîtes that are either closed or booked solid. Have a wonderful trip.