Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Power discrepancy...why?!

To disable ads, please log-in.

So we've borrowed the Garmin power meter pedals from our shop. Yesterday we did an 80 mile fondo on our tandem, me with the pedals on the rear. Looks like my right leg is doing 61% of the work! Could a sprain I suffered on my left ankle years ago be to blame? Even before that, every little overuse issue I'd suffer running would be on my right side. Also, I have always suspected my right leg to be longer.

Thoughts?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I know nothing about this kind of stuff, but couldn't it just be that your right leg is your dominant/stronger leg, so it naturally works harder?
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I'm the same way--my right leg does the bulk of the work, and I have to tell my left leg to actually do something. Are you right-handed? I'm very "right-sided." I don't think it's unusual to have your dominant side be stronger, so your brain just tells it to do alll the work, like normal. I can see how a leg-length discrepancy could be part of it, but I would also assume a full-on fitting (which I'm sure you've had) would help address that with shims and whatnot.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Yep...but 45/55 is apparently a pretty moderate discrepancy. A guy we know with major Achilles damage has less of an imbalance than I.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Yep, totally right dominant, even though my dad and sister are lefties.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I have worked for a year trying to change my leg strength imbalance, to no avail.
    Finally I just said forget it and decided to enjoy the riding and not stress over it.
    I played soccer for 25 years, causing my left support leg to be dominant. Sorry not
    to give you any clues as to fixing the problem, but I hope you don't stress as much about
    it as much as I did!!

Interesting update...and I think I need to try these pedals a few more times to really know what's going on. So DH took the pedals off the tandem and put them back on his road bike...and now his relatively slight imbalance has swapped sides. He thinks it may be relative to the torque used to install the pedals. We need to play with them more to really figure out what's going on.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3