Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Rain jacket

Rain jacket

To disable ads, please log-in.

I know there are many rain jacket threads here on TE, but here goes: I'm looking for a waterproof, packable rain jacket for touring. I'd like it to be good for on and off bike use. I currently use a PI jacket that works well on the bike, but looks ridiculous and is restricting off the bike. It also doesn't have a good hood, which doesn't matter so much while I'm riding, but is nice off the bike. It sounds like Showers Pass jackets are good for riding but I'm not sure how practical they are off the bike (no hood). Any suggestions for a non cycling specific jacket that works well on the bike?

I've been thinking about the same topic. I'm a big fan of Marmot's PreCip rain jackets - light weight, fits in its own pocket and can be found for $69-80 on sale. I need to get a new one soon and am thinking about buying a brighter color which will serve a dual purpose for visibility on the bike. I need to check the back length to see if there's enough coverage.
    2010 Trek Madone 4.5
    2013 Velo Orange Campeur

I have one from Performance that has a detachable hood and looks kind of like a regular slicker. I wear it still for hikig/walking in the rain, although I have a Showers' Pass for riding.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I like to pack a separate, brimmed sun hat that doubles as a rain hat for touring. I also treat it with permethrin to keep mosquitos away. Won't go camping without it, bike or no bike. This is my current favorite but there are many all-purpose brimmed hats out there.

I have a Showers Pass rain jacket but I'm a little meh about it. I like the seat flap, venting and pockets but dislike how stiff the fabric is and how bulky it feels.

Thanks for your input. I ended up buying a Showers Pass ... the safety and comfort of venting and reflective strips outweighed my desire for a 'normal' looking jacket. I ordered the hood too. I'll be packing it for my week long tour at the end of the month, hopefully it lives up to all the hype.

I just got back from a new Trek store (well sorta new, as they bought the building next door expanding their store tremendously a month ago) Absolutely a beautiful store loaded with Trek bikes and Bontrager items. I noticed a Bontrager Commuter Stormshell rain jacket $119. screaming yellow, plenty of reflective striping on the arms, back piping, water proof, well vented, drop tail, interior netted, adjustable cuffs and waist. There is even a rear tab that you can attach a red blinker light. I highly recommend this jacket.

I have a Showers Pass Double Century jacket that's a lot lighter and folds up much smaller compared to the Showers Pass Elite jacket. This is perfect for rainy weather when it's in the 40s and 50s. My husband's a randonneur (endurance cyclist) and has both the SP Double Century and Elite jackets. He brings the Double Century for 90% of his rando rides, even in the summer when it's not rainy but might get cold overnight.