Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

More drama; cycling related

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am still in San Diego. Got a call from DH about 2 hours ago that he was in a crash on the way home, avoiding getting hit by a woman who turned left in front of him. He has a broken clavicle on his left side and a broken pinky on the right. He was lucky. Unfortunately, they aren't sure if the shoulder will heal without surgery, and he has to see the orthodo tomorrow. He's currently at our friend's house pumped full of Vicodin.
    I don't get home until tomorrow night, so there's nothing I can do.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

So sorry to hear your news, but it sounds like it could have been much worse and he is in good hands now. Just take a deep breath, and you'll be home before you know it.

Ugh. I'm glad it wasn't more serious, and I hope it goes well with the surgeon.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Wow. You must be very anxious to get home. What a bummer accident that he (you) could have done without. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Yes, it's never a good time. I have a limo picking me up. Hopefully, if he needs surgery, it can wait until Friday.
    He already said we are still going to the Berkshires next month, he just won't ride and I can ride with our friends.
    We do have a commitment to lead a ride in July, but it is with another person. Since it's down in Mystic CT, we are staying down there.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

How frustrating! There really never is a good time - so true. There are also too many idiot drivers out there. Hopefully the driver at least stopped. Grrrr....

I'm glad he is (mostly) in one piece. I have actually heard several people with broken clavicles say that they wanted the surgery - because they were able to be mobile much faster and had much less pain overall. Either way, I hope he heals well and quickly. Hang in there - I'll be thinking about you (and him).
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

He said she didn't stop at first, but came back. Someone had her plate number and called it in. She was cited on the spot for failure to yield. He was going about 20 and I think that drivers just don't realize we can go this fast and try to beat us.
    The surgeon is really good; we used him for when DH had 2 broken wrists(not cycling related) and also my son saw him for various issues when he was racing.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Ugh. So sorry to hear that. Hope he heals up quick. Glad the driver was cited anyway.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Wow, that sucks! I'm so sorry to hear that. Hope you get good news tomorrow.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Crankin,
    I am so sorry to hear about what happened. I am sending prayers your way for a speedy recovery. I hope everything works out for both of you!
    kajero
    2013 Trek FX 7.6 WSD
    2012 Specialized Ruby WSD
    2004 Schwinn (I think that is the year)

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Ouch!! Sorry to hear he's injured, glad it's not worse. Praying for a speedy recovery!
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

That is the pitts. Sorry about your hubby's injuries. The hard part besides the pain is giving up on what you love to do for the season. I'm praying for him a smooth recovery.

Crankin, so sorry to hear about this. And worse to be 3000 miles away.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Let's not catastrophize about it being the whole season. Our big trip isn't until October anyway.
    I am going to have to do more group rides, though, and force myself to ride by myself more. I have friends to ride with, but they are slow, which I don't mind, but I am trying to push myself a bit.
    His appt. is at 1:00, so I might hear before I shut my phone off on the plane.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Just catching up on this, Crankin. Sorry to hear about DH. Everyone I know who has broken their clavicle and had surgery has been back on the bike pretty quickly. We have a teammate who broke his at a race in May, and still went on his cycling trip to France this month (though he did not have surgery). Came home and was doing a group ride with my DH, hit the deck with another rider, and THEN broke his finger! At least your DH is getting both out of the way at once .

The NEBC women's ride is still going in Lexington on Tuesday evenings if you are interested - different speed groups, and a pretty safe environment.

Sending DH healing vibes.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com