Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Competition bound!

To disable ads, please log-in.

After talking with my coach today, I've decided to head to Randolph, New Jersey in mid December for my first Kettlebell competition. As a beginner I already know my weight and the number of reps I will need to perform to establish my rank. I've 5 months to prepare so I've plenty of time. Both to save up for the trip AND to do the work!

Exciting! Good luck with your training.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

How exciting!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Keep us posted on your training and the competition.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

I will! I already know all of the kettlebell sport lifts, and my pace isn't bad. Now I just need to increase volume, time per hand, and endurance so I will be ready. Goal is to train smart and to not injure myself by trying to increase all the above too quickly. That is what my coach is for! Very thankful to have him.

My KB coach has two other people interested in competing, so he is going to have start a competition-specific class for the three of us! This is great, as I can't afford his individual attention. Pity I can't drive to New Jersey in December...not over the mountains in an iffy time of the year weather-wise, especially if this winter starts like the last one did. I suspect the fuel cost wouldn't be much less than the air fare anyway.

Do we have any TE members in the Randolph, NJ area by any chance?

I've a competition this Saturday! Well, not really, but it is set up and ran like one. It is a Pentathlon, which consists of 5 different KB Sport lifts (6 minutes each lift), multiple hand changes allowed, 5 minutes rest between each 6 minute set. No setting the KB down or you are done. No touching it with the other hand during the set or you are done. No letting it hang down or you are done - there ARE ways to find rest in each of the lifts. I set my pace, I choose my weight. My goal is to FINISH, I am less concerned about my final score - and my KG competition coach is using this as a base line to see where I and my two fellow competition students are (there will be a couple others there who aren't interested in competing, but who DO enjoy a really hard workout. Score is based on number of reps with a multiplier based on the weight selected for that lift. There is a top limit of reps allowed beyond which won't count. Not that I have to worry about crossing that line just yet!

So, my goal is to finish and to set/keep a pace that will allow me to do that and to not exhaust myself before that hour is up. We just did an 18 minute set on Wed without rest, so if I can do THAT, I can do THIS if I am wise about my weight and pace choices.

My first little event went well! The last minute of the last set got rather ugly, but I finished without having to bail before the clock ran out My score wasn't bad for an old woman (better than I had hoped for), and it is a good beginning!

okay so this may be a silly question. We do KB swings and lifts, etc. I have actually dropped the weight of my KB down because I don't care for how tight my pants are getting across my rear. Yes, I do like the fact that my behind is higher and firmer but being the vain person I am I don't want a bigger bubble butt, just a firmer bubble butt. Have you noticed that as your body changes?
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    okay so this may be a silly question. We do KB swings and lifts, etc. I have actually dropped the weight of my KB down because I don't care for how tight my pants are getting across my rear. Yes, I do like the fact that my behind is higher and firmer but being the vain person I am I don't want a bigger bubble butt, just a firmer bubble butt. Have you noticed that as your body changes?
    As far as my butt is concerned, I've not noticed anything outside of my butt becoming more firm. Then again, I do have a flat butt, always have had and I suspect that it will always be that way regardless of how hard I work. It is, however MUCH tighter :-) I've been told that traditional deadlifting will also do what you describe.
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-08-2014 at 07:28 AM.

Nice work Catrin!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I crossed a milestone today We did multiple lifts at 4 minutes per hand (Jerk 4 minutes per hand, rest 4 minutes, Snatch 4 minutes per hand, rest 4 minutes, then do it all again). A true competition set is 5 minutes per hand, so my conditioning is coming right along! My coach dropped my weight quite a lot since this is the first time I've gone this long, but that will change. Of course you have to pick a pace and keep it to keep from wearing yourself out. He knows his business and will NOT allow us to injure ourselves as much as that is in our control for, of course, any competitive activity does have a higher risk. We've decided that I WILL go to the December 13 competition in New Jersey if things continue as they are!

That's awesome, Catrin -- congrats!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    That's awesome, Catrin -- congrats!
    I think I've finally learned from my prior over-use injuries. I really and truly enjoy kettlebell sport (GS - Givorey Sport). My primary focus is to do it as well as I possibly can while maintaining my health. This is far more important to me than attempting to set some national or world-class record for my class. Competition is just one way of setting a goal, and it provides me that taste of adventure that I've learned I require.

At 54 a serious injury could very well end things for me. Sure things can still happen, but it won't be out of ego. It really helps working with a 68 year old coach who has been there, done that I didn't realize just how well he is known, and his true reputation in the world of GS until I started talking to others I've met who have been around much longer than I. I knew he was good, but I didn't know just HOW good until I started getting feedback from everyone who learns that he is my coach. He hasn't had any competitors for a few years due to health problems, so I and two others who are planning on the December competition will work hard to do him proud!

..speaking of competition, this gal is amazing

http://www.nbc.com/american-ninja-wa...-dallas-finals
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM