Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Zumba?

Thumbs down Zumba?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Everyone kept telling me to try it. "You will love it!" they kept telling me, (and many are former dance students). I tried 3 different teachers and the whole thing just horrifies me. No talking about proper shoes, no cues, no direction, no warm-up, cool-down or stretches. No regard for safety at all. Also, where does the Latin dancing come in? It was 80s aerobics. High impact. All 3 teachers. Once in awhile you get to do a grapevine. None of the instructors even looked at the class. Maybe I'm too critical? I've danced since I was 8, spent my teens teaching and taking classes at the studio and have been a dance teacher for many years. (Ballet and jazz). Something that really bothered me was the improper technique on many things. Deep plies in 2nd, and the instructor's rear (and everyone else's in the class) was sticking out a mile.

I can't believe the Zumba people haven't had a zillion lawsuits for knee, hip and other injuries. Maybe I'm just old and crabby, but I switched to Pilates, and that I'm loving! For now, I will get my cardio on the bike. I do want to dance again, and I don't want to make up the routines! Maybe if I ever find a Zumba teacher that gets within a mile of a cha-cha I will try again.

Thank you, I feel better now. Can't say anything around here, as everyone worships at the Zumba altar!
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

I bought package of Zumba Dvds a while ago because it looked like a lot of fun. The intro dvd does introduce a number of latin dance steps, but I found it to be very hard on my back and never got any further than that. I did read somewhere that there are a lot of complaints about what Zumba does to backs, knees and hips.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Tried classes and videos and it is not for me. I lost interest rather rapidly.

But I do like aqua zumba though at our campground resort. It is fun when hot outside. For me anyway.

I'm pretty much done with group fitness in all its forms, but even when I was a gym rat I couldn't stand Zumba. You're constantly toeing off - it's terrible on the Achilles tendons, which are a problem area for me anyway. Not even much lateral movement like hi-lo gives you. I tried it once, can't even remember if I gave it a second chance, and I really don't see the appeal.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

It was quite popular at my gym for a time but it never looked good to me. I would rather get my cardio with a long kettle bell set or play on the rower. Or do something outside.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Yecch. I have never been a big fan of group fitness classes in general (though there are a select few that I will do occasionally if the weather is bad etc...otherwise would much rather do something outside), and especially the choreographed stuff. I am just not that coordinated and hate feeling like people are watching me screw up the moves...it's stressful (lifting in the gym when it's busy is bad enough, but I force myself to do that). Therefore, I will not go near Zumba. I know lots of people like it, but it is not my cup of tea. As far as form and injuries etc. I am not familiar enough with it to comment.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Too dance-y for me. I was an aerobics instructor in the 80s and 90s, and my classes were always athletically oriented, with simple steps. While I can do basic moves, like grapevine and cha cha, I am so not a dancer.
    I would hate Zumba, I know it, and I would never try it. I occasionally take a step class in the winter, where the teacher's style is just like mine was. I have to concentrate really hard to not mess up, but the movements still feel quite ingrained to me, just like shifting my bike.
    Last edited by Crankin; 06-23-2014 at 06:34 PM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I was curious, so I looked to see how many Zumba classes are now held at my gym. It used to be quite popular 2.5 years ago when I moved to this facility. Now there are only 2 classes a week.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Interesting observations. Of course, any dance-like group exercise I avoid since I find it hard to enjoy because I'm so busy trying to be coordinated with rest of group. It's not my thing.

However there's a small class at my workplace which includes my manager who seems to like it as a workout. I think she's been trying to find activities to move her to the next level of weight loss.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Interesting observations......I love zumba )))