Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Lantiseptic for a tat?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I got a new tattoo and they recommend not to use neosporin, but to use a&d ointment or other ointment instead. I was thinking I could use the lantiseptic that I already have. Thoughts?
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

It's really up to you as to what you use, however the reason Neosporin and the like is not recommended is that it MIGHT cause a reaction that "pulls" the color from your tat. At one time, a lot of tattoo artists actually recommended using Neosporin. My opinion is that everybody is different and ANY ointment can do the same thing depending on how you care for your tat. My guy is awesome as he recommends coming back to see him after 6 weeks so he can fill in any "holiday lights" as he calls it (which are the areas the color did not stick.)

Just my .02
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo

Thanks for the advice! I went ahead and used the lantiseptic.
    2013 Electra Verse

I would not worry too much. Just be sure to keep it lubed enough to try and prevent stabbing, and if you do get scabs, don't rub them off when they soften with the cream. That makes the color come off. Sadly I learned the hard way. ��
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

Thanks again, I appreciate it!
    2013 Electra Verse

When I got mine, I was told to use the tiniest possible amount of their ointment--too much and it slows the healing. I was very careful to follow those directions and it healed very well.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

This one is my third. It's also the biggest. The other two I don't think I did anything for or to them, but I spent some money on this one so I want to make sure I take care of it. I appreciate the advice from both of you. Just for fun, here it is:

2013 Electra Verse

Oh, that's a beauty!
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    Oh, that's a beauty!
    Thank you! I have two African senegals, hence the tattoo.
    2013 Electra Verse

And I am also--veering way off thread topic--a bird lover. Do you know the explore.org website? They have a bunch of live animal cams, solely for education and delight, including a great osprey cam to which I am currently somewhat addicted: http://explore.org/live-cams/player/live-osprey-cam

We're also bird watchers. I haven't tried that web site. We've watched some from u stream and from Cornell. Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out!
    2013 Electra Verse

Awesome tat - The color is amazing!
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

That is gorgeous!!!

My artist always recommended A&D...I think it totally depends upon the artist. I also had color get pulled from a tattoo on my lower calf when my sock stuck to it. Hurt like heck to pull it off that area, too. At the time I thought it was done weeping, but I was wrong.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I appreciate the compliments. I was happy with the work. I used the lantiseptic and then when I went to bed I wrapped a t shirt around it. The guy warned me if it stuck not to pull. He said to run some water over it until it came loose. Thankfully I didn't have to try that.

It's funny you should mention a sock. If I had had a long sock I would have used that instead of a t shirt.
    2013 Electra Verse