Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Post It's time to change

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello everyone! Let me introduce myself, I'm Vee and I'm 23 years old. I used to ride my bike every weekends years and years ago and I was overweight but had no trouble with it. Today, I thought about bicycling again. I used my brother's bicycle and rode to my friend's house about 5 blocks away from mine. I'm obese, I weigh about 230 pounds and I'm only 5'4''. I have exerted myself and, of course, felt nauseous after the ride.

I ate about 4 hours before I thought about riding the bike and drank Coke before I left. No water. I really should start exercising. Can biking help me shed a few pounds? I don't expect to shed a lot from riding but a few pounds can help me slowly get on track and be healthy. I used to play a lot of volleyball back in high school but I don't think that helped.

I really want to change and I'm starting it today before it's too late for me.
    Last edited by otterclap; 06-18-2014 at 06:49 AM.

Welcome, and you are right, no time like today.
    There are a lot of gals here who have used biking to improve health and fitness and to facilitate weight loss.
    Last edited by Irulan; 06-18-2014 at 02:16 PM.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

It's been drilled into me repeatedly that losing weight is "80% diet, 20% exercise". So in addition to biking, really focus on what you're eating. A food journal is a great idea. Most people, myself included, really have no idea the calories they're taking in until they account for every bite of food they eat. You've come to a very supportive forum. Hang in there and welcome!
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Hello and welcome. Here are a few threads that you might find interesting. For the second one, go to page 7 and read Swan's update.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=52459

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=50870

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=47094

Good luck!!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I had no idea about goldfinch's incredible weight loss.

Fall in love with cycling and whatever activity you enjoy doing regularily. And find interesting, fast ways to prepare food for healthy eating. Have you ever considered cycling to do errands and stuff.? Am suggesting this so that it's built naturally as transportation into your lifestyel and after awhile it's not really "exercise" but in reality you are still burning some calories...
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I think bicycling is a great way to change. I agree on the 80% diet, 20% being active but I find that if I do a really hard bike ride I don't want to undo all of that by eating too much junk. I think being active and exercising inspires me to have a better diet. I also start thinking of food as fuel, and who wants to ride their bike after tons of greasy junk? I also second the food journal. I've lost some weight, but have more to lose. I always consistently lose more when I'm journaling every bite I take. I don't deny myself if I really want something, but it adds an awareness that was lacking before.

Good luck!

Amy

Bluntly.....Yes. Cycling will make the weight MELT off. Just stick to it, get used to it, begin to crave it, and ultimately NEED it. Riding is a drug I never want to quit again.
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo

A friend shared his drink "recipe" for rides with me recently, I liked it and you might, too
    It's super simple - he squeezes one lemon in a litre of water and adds a bit of salt. It's like really mild, salty lemonade. Super cheap and keeps you going during rides. I'll have to try it next time

Quote Originally Posted by otterclap View Post
    Hello everyone! Let me introduce myself, I'm Vee and I'm 23 years old. I used to ride my bike every weekends years and years ago and I was overweight but had no trouble with it. Today, I thought about bicycling again. I used my brother's bicycle and rode to my friend's house about 5 blocks away from mine. I'm obese, I weigh about 230 pounds and I'm only 5'4''. I have exerted myself and, of course, felt nauseous after the ride.

I ate about 4 hours before I thought about riding the bike and drank Coke before I left. No water. I really should start exercising. Can biking help me shed a few pounds? I don't expect to shed a lot from riding but a few pounds can help me slowly get on track and be healthy. I used to play a lot of volleyball back in high school but I don't think that helped.

I really want to change and I'm starting it today before it's too late for me.
    Hi Vee! (It's nice seeing someone around my age here!)

Riding your bike to your friend's house is a great start...make it a habit! Shooting Star's suggestion to make it part of your routine (biking to your friend's house, the grocery store, work) as much as possible is a good one. Start small, and work up from there. If you make it part of your routine, don't view it as "exercise", just a way to get from point A to point B (just remember to follow the advice below).

Make sure you eat a little something closer to the time you exercise, drink plenty of water, and watch your electrolytes. If you're watching calories, I like the idea of the salty "lemonade," and perhaps have a banana afterwards.

Cycling can help you lose weight. (I essentially stopped riding about a year ago (thanks, grad school!), with no other changes, and gained about 5-10 pounds.) I think, though, that the biggest thing with exercising is that it helps draw your attention to what you eat and how often. As you work up to longer distances, balancing food intake high enough to fuel your efforts with your weight loss efforts can be tricky and often varies from person to person.

Welcome to TE!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...