Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Biking New England

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thinking about doing a biking tour in Vermont next fall. Any insight or advice? I've never been there, and never done any kind of organized tour.

We did a "tour" supported by Thom's parents in 2009. You can read about it here. Clicking on a picture will take you to the photos.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Make sure you ride plenty of hills when preparing for your trip...Vermont is very hilly! Are you looking to do an organized trip or a self-supported tour?
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    Make sure you ride plenty of hills when preparing for your trip...Vermont is very hilly! Are you looking to do an organized trip or a self-supported tour?
    I think for the first time, an organized tour.

We did a Trek Travel weekend tour for our first foray into bike touring about 10 years ago. We chose it, basically, because we could drive there, and use our own bikes. As Veronica said, be prepared for very steep climbing, the rest rolling, but beautiful scenery. On our tour, I did skip the climb over Mt. Mansfield, mostly because it was drizzling, the climb was 4-5 miles, and I was scared on the descent. I got in the van, as did many others. I might still skip this one if it was wet, but not if it was dry.
    Last fall, we did a semi- supported inn to inn tour, in that a company planned our trip, gave us the routes, and carried our luggage. We rode alone, and there was no van support. If we really had a terrible issue, then, I believe someone would have picked us up tog et to a bike shop. We loved this option, as there were no other personalities to deal with, we are quite competent with a GPS, and the places we stayed were all unique and the restaurants awesome. The last day was rainy, about 48 degrees, with really hard climbs. It was one of those you might get a divorce over this moments, but, we did it. I would not recommend Vermont if you only can train on flat roads.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I have done a couple of short self contained tours in the North East Kingdom area, absolutely gorgeous area! It's also close enough to cross the border and head into Canada. I agree with Jolt, make sure to plan lots of hill training in before you head on your trip. And lastly, don't forget a camera

I may have to re-think this...or find some hills to train on!

If you want to keep the hill content down, riding around Lake Champlain is beautiful. There's a whole network of signed bike routes -- see http://www.champlainbikeways.org/ There are still hills, but not like you get in the Green Mountains.

I agree, the area right around the lake is beautiful and good for beginners.
    Any area around a river or lake will be flatter. Also, consider that many of these trips might be filled up for the summer. If you really want a non stressed bike tour in New England, I'd suggest Cape Cod during the first 2 weeks in September. Weather still is nice and the crowds are gone.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I agree, the area right around the lake is beautiful and good for beginners.
    Any area around a river or lake will be flatter. Also, consider that many of these trips might be filled up for the summer. If you really want a non stressed bike tour in New England, I'd suggest Cape Cod during the first 2 weeks in September. Weather still is nice and the crowds are gone.
    Lake Champlain is what we were looking at, but NEXT summer. Plenty of time.