Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Smile Biking.. 16 years later

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi everyone! My name is Mary-Beth, my husband used to do some mountain biking and thought it would be something fun for us to do together. SO I am the proud owner of a specialized myka sport.. I have not been on a bike in over 16 years, I am 29 and not in the greatest shape. We went out Sunday for the first time and I thought I was going to die and throw up. I have never felt such a burning in my thighs... later I found out we went to one of the hilliest places. I have not done any trails yet, thinking we may hit up some super easy ones this weekend. Each night since then I have been riding around the neighborhood just to try and build up some strength. My question to ya'll is will the burning go away once I get into better shape? Any tips or tricks are welcome, I am so new to this but so far enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by MayBee View Post
    Hi everyone! My name is Mary-Beth, my husband used to do some mountain biking and thought it would be something fun for us to do together. SO I am the proud owner of a specialized myka sport.. I have not been on a bike in over 16 years, I am 29 and not in the greatest shape. We went out Sunday for the first time and I thought I was going to die and throw up. I have never felt such a burning in my thighs... later I found out we went to one of the hilliest places. I have not done any trails yet, thinking we may hit up some super easy ones this weekend. Each night since then I have been riding around the neighborhood just to try and build up some strength. My question to ya'll is will the burning go away once I get into better shape? Any tips or tricks are welcome, I am so new to this but so far enjoying it.
    I also did not bike in over 22 years. I started at the age of 37. I also did not know how to use the shifting/gears initially because my childhood bike had foot brakes and was a single speed Huffy type bike.

It personally took me 3+ months to learn how to shift and to lift one hand off to signal/grab my bottle to sip fluids. 2 years later, I am still wobbly when I lift one hand off, especially to grab a GU energy gel from my back pocket to suck on while pedaling. So, if you can do any of this, you are already ahead of me.

I used to think that riding 8 miles on the road or 3 mountain biking miles was A LOT! Now, I am doing 100 mile road bike rides (3-4 times/year). I often do 35mile road bike rides and 12 miles of mountain biking (not all on the same day, of course).

I definitely recommend flatter trails/roads to get into shape and to get comfortable with your new bike before tackling hard hills. If you do hills that are too hard for your body currently, you will likely NOT enjoy biking and eventually stop riding. If there are any beginner rider mountain biking groups to join in your area, that might be fun for you too.
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)

The short answer is yes, it will get easier. I hadn't been on a bike since my preteen years and got my bikes at 42. I thought I was going to die on my first 20 mile ride and that was after a few months practice. Now 20 is a very comfortable short ride. I also love mountain biking. It's great fun and an excellent workout.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I was never much for biking as I never had a bike growing up, but 7yrs ago I decided to give it whirl. OMG the pain and soreness and complete pathetic-ism that was me made me almost give up but then I began to notice that for the first time in my 38 years of life, I no longer had saddlebags..... My *** was firm.... And I had so much energy!! I began living to ride... But then broken bones took me away, and now, 7 ( almost 8) years later I am starting back up and so excited that I am about ready to jump Out of my skin!

Yes it will get easier... And you will begin to Amaze yourself at what you accomplish. And that will leave you craving the next ride... And the ride after that... And the ride after that.... Just like me. :-)
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo