Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Walking = Bone Density

To disable ads, please log-in.

As biking does not do anything to improve or help in bone density loss, I thought of getting an elliptical to incorporate with my cycling as I heard it is good to help with bone loss plus it is low impact which is the type of exercise I am looking for. If anyone feels otherwise, please let me know.

Since I am not able to get one anytime soon I read that walking also helps. Someone told me that since I do not weigh very much it may not help (I am an average weight for my height). Does anyone have any opinions on walking to help bone loss and if so how many miles and how many times per week would be good. I did a google search but really could not find the info I am looking for.

In advance, thank you much!!!

~ JoAnn

Well I know that any impact training will help with bone developement. My mother is 58 and has the bone density of an 80 year old woman. My doctor did a dexa scan on me and said I actually have very strong bones. She attributes that to my marathon running. She basically said that when your running long distances and your bones are being constantly pounded on your body thinks your bones are under attack and that stimulates growth- or something along that line. But I'm not sure what moderate walking would do? I think I read somewhere that any impact training would help. The eliptical is not really an impact sport is it?
    I guess I'm no real help here am I?? I'm tired... I think I need to go to bed! ha ha

I would also guess that the elliptical doesn't cause impact, hence wouldn't really help with bone density... ???

I think you'd have to be walking at a fairly brisk pace. Running is definitely better for bone density development. Weight training is also very good, supposedly. I prefer running!!

It's my understanding that the exercise needs to be weight-bearing as opposed to having impact. I did find walking included as a weight-bearing exercise in this article from the National Institutes of Health: http://www.niams.nih.gov/bone/hi/prevent_fracture.pdf. I believe that using an elliptical trainer would also fall into the weight-bearing category.

My doc also recommended calcium + D supplements twice a day. I use a generic supplement that contains 600 mg of calcium + 200 IU of vitamin D.

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Science is ongoing, not finished

Most of medical research will not benefit us, just our great-grandchildren. The final answer on osteoporosis and exercise is nowhere in sight. It all depends on the location of the fractures, and there is some evidence that bone density itself is not the defining factor that we can use to predict an individual's risk for a fracture. Even though it doesn't have the impact of walking, cycling may not be a total loss http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryC...itness/tb/1326
    I suggest that we keep up the calcium intake, take Rx if your M.D. recommends it, and try to walk the 8 to 10K steps/day that is recommended. After that there is little we can do at this point in time, but there is no reason to give up cycling, which is low impact for arthritic joints, and may strengthen the muscles that help protect us from hip fractures.

I wish I could find this article on Bicycling Magazine's web site:
    http://www.beezodogsplace.com/Pages/...s-Cycling.html

See #6 on particular:
    RUN, HIKE, SKIP ROPE OR JUMP AROUND with your 6 kids for 20-30 minutes, two to three times a week, to promote bone growth with weight-bearing vibration. "The impact must be significant." says Christine Snow, director of OSU's Bone Research Lab. "The vibrations of cycling aren't enough." A Johns Hopkins study found that light-intensity activities such as walking did not strengthen bones. Other studies hint that as few as two minutes of significant impact or vibration per day bestow some benefit.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I walk, with and without the mut, also do Aikido which I hope has enough impact. This video is one of my first instructors:

http://www.aikidoinstitutedavis.com/dvd_motion_vol3.htm

hopefully that's enough skipping and jumping around
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Thank you everyone for all the info. I do take 1200 mg of calcium with D a day along with drinking 1% milk, oj with calcium etc. I also heard that exercise needed to be weight bearing as opposed to high impact.

All the links and information were very informative. I think I will incorporate brisk walking along with my cycling and at my next dr's check up I ask him also. I have been using free weights for my upper body which stemmed from my shoulder fracture which now will be a life long routine.

Thanks again.

~ JoAnn