Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Amira Expert 2014

To disable ads, please log-in.

Welllll!!! Following the thread that was high-jacked at some point (sorry about it), I thought it would be good to open it's own here.

From comments/discussions here: http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...844#post693844

to now this.

I did try it on a 100km ride last Saturday and for me, it was my dream bike. Not the look as I am more "girly" type but for the ride, I could not ask for more. I wanted to change nothing. The fit was not optimal and I had nothing to complain. Coming from me, that is super.

So now I had to get back to LBS to negotiate the trade-in of my Kuota Kharma for this one. I could not even get a reference for resell as I did not find one Kharma 2013 for sale in classified. Anyway, I was ready to bargain with shop owner. I love this bike shop and they are very good to us too.

So in the end, my bike was priced at $4000cdn. My Kuota I paid $2600 on sale last June and it came with American Classic wheels (which alone are $1000/set). So I told him I wanted $2000 for my kuota. I knew it would not go through. I'm not that crazy. He told me with all I wanted (new hub, keeping my wheel, bottle rack, fushia tape, etc).... trade in would be $2800+ tax. No way.... too high. I'll sell my bike myself and then see. He said how much you want to pay: I said $2500 all included. His face turned white. hahaha He said how about $2600...nope... Come on...you are keeping your AC wheels, etc... so!!! $2500 I said. haha. My husband was going nuts beside me. Then owner said how about if we cut the pear in two and go for $2550.. Nope... 2500$. So husband said take the deal (3x). So I bended for $2550. Very good deal for us.

And they even took the time at 8:15pm to switch the wheels (which meant taking a hub from another new bike - 11 gears vs 10 on kuota so not the same). He even gave me a carbon bottle rack that is the same as the one I kept from Kharma so it would match (I was not asking for that much - just wanted a cheap one - not fussy on this). They installed everything on new bike and fit was done week before.

All I need to do now is find some colour/design strips as I hate the flat black. Missing the girly colour, although there is some but in official pics from Specialized you don't see much now.

I'll take picture of my bike when all is done/installed. Waiting for fushia tape to come in. Will go back in 2 weeks as we (them and hubby and I) getting ready for that 135km (they are on the 1000km) challenge next weekend. No rush for the tape. I have everything else to ride anyway.

So tomorrow I am going on my last big outing before that 135km. I have 75 max to ride with minimal stops to practice for event.

I'm very happy and can't wait to ride it more than I did with Kuota.

Thank you Muirenn. You were very helpful to me in that process. Much appreciated.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    I don't see anything wrong with that paint job either...and you can dress it up however you want with the bar tape, colored bottle cages etc.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Here is what it looks like right now (only need my fushia bar tape to arrive). Pic is a bit blurry as hubby took it in a darker basement with his iphone but it gives you an idea.

I think it looks better that way than I thought at the store. hihi

click to enlarge
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	amira.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	17168

Specialized sure knows how to make eye-catching, comfortable bikes. I love my '09 Dolce Elite, which puts a big grin on my face every time I ride it.

(Do your wheels have a pink hue in them-or is that just the way the light is hitting them?)

1990 Univega Alpina/(stock) gel saddle
    2009 Specialized Dolce Elite/BG Lithia saddle
    2009 Jamis Coda Sport/Selle Royale Respiro saddle
    2010 Jamis Aurora/Jamis Touring Sport saddle

The wheels do have pink in them. Not my hub though.
    http://www.triasport.co.uk/shop/info-420aeropink.html
    Last edited by Helene2013; 06-07-2014 at 03:48 AM.

I'm glad the Amira worked out for you. I am more interested in comfort than speed and the Ruby worked for me. And I personally loved the royal blue option - not a pink lover!
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

did my 2nd ride with it today (72km). It was hard on the return with the winds facing us (some were pretty strongs). The bike handles so well. Sure during one or two of those wind blowing moments I had to correct it back on track but it was nothing compared to the Kuota who I had almost no control over.

I will have to speak with my fitter and my physiotherapist. I don't know why I'm always getting numbs on right hand and right foot only). There has to be something related to the way I am sitting/pushing on the bike. I had similar experiences on my Kuota. It only lasts a few seconds but it is uncomfy.

The fun thing about the Amira is that I trust it enough and have enough own confidence due to its better stability to keep going straight that I can now rest my hands on the flat portion of bars to climb hills. I am never afraid.

My speed today was slower than last week, but the wind was my ennemy. That and the heat. I cannot stand heat/sun too long. This week is going to be very hot for Montreal. So we started at 9:30am (takes us at least 40 minutes to get to this bike path) and at 1pm it was all over. And I was already "suffering = complaining" from the heat. I had to tell myself to FOCUS FOCUS... HELENE on the last 10km to be done - facing those winds!

But mission accomplished and dinner will be good tonight for sure. haha. That was my last big ride before our 135km next Saturday. It will be hard. Especially if hot. Luckily, always cooler in Quebec City than Montreal. So that should help. But it is still a 6-hr bike ride that day. If I can keep up the average speed required. That will be my big challenge. FOCUS HELENE.... and the Amira will take you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Helene2013 View Post
    did my 2nd ride with it today (72km). It was hard on the return with the winds facing us (some were pretty strongs). The bike handles so well. Sure during one or two of those wind blowing moments I had to correct it back on track but it was nothing compared to the Kuota who I had almost no control over.

I will have to speak with my fitter and my physiotherapist. I don't know why I'm always getting numbs on right hand and right foot only). There has to be something related to the way I am sitting/pushing on the bike. I had similar experiences on my Kuota. It only lasts a few seconds but it is uncomfy.

The fun thing about the Amira is that I trust it enough and have enough own confidence due to its better stability to keep going straight that I can now rest my hands on the flat portion of bars to climb hills. I am never afraid.

My speed today was slower than last week, but the wind was my ennemy. That and the heat. I cannot stand heat/sun too long. This week is going to be very hot for Montreal. So we started at 9:30am (takes us at least 40 minutes to get to this bike path) and at 1pm it was all over. And I was already "suffering = complaining" from the heat. I had to tell myself to FOCUS FOCUS... HELENE on the last 10km to be done - facing those winds!

But mission accomplished and dinner will be good tonight for sure. haha. That was my last big ride before our 135km next Saturday. It will be hard. Especially if hot. Luckily, always cooler in Quebec City than Montreal. So that should help. But it is still a 6-hr bike ride that day. If I can keep up the average speed required. That will be my big challenge. FOCUS HELENE.... and the Amira will take you there.
    I love my Amira too.

As for the heat, you might consider some pills like the Salt Stick to help prevent cramping because of salt loss from sweating
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)

Thank you.

I may be too late to get some salt stick. The only place I found that sold them are too far from us right now. I'll keep googling in case I find a place near work or home that I can go during my lunch time. My week is pretty booked right now and we're leaving Friday morning (which means packing motorhome Thursday night) plus grass cutting, etc...